Singapore Expats

Keeping Condo Gym Open

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Keeping Condo Gym Open

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 12:07 am

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 25 Sep 2021 9:34 am
Yes I believe those boxing or fight focused gyms must be quite a bit on the pricey side because they are considered more niche.
Yes, not just that but the gym I go to is not a chain, so their costs must be higher. I pay around $400 for 2 months.

Search By

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 12:12 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Sat, 25 Sep 2021 9:53 am
smoulder wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:13 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:47 pm

I’ve been thinking about registering for a membership at anytime fitness (there’s one 800m from my condo) but haven’t found any membership fees online. If you don’t mind sharing, how much does the membership cost you and how long is the commitment period?
Sure no problem. I'm paying on a monthly basis. It works out to be around 90 something dollars and it allows me access to any AF on the island... I can't remember the exact cost but it's around there. It's probably a bit more expensive than a membership where you pay everything upfront but after the California fitness fiasco, I have been quite clear that there will be no lumpsum payments.

I do find AF very convenient - they are everywhere and they are open 24x7. For me it's a good mix of sufficient weight and cardio machines. No nonsense, no frills.
Thanks for sharing this. I might have a look at this option too, it's about half the price I pay at VirginActive. I do like them though especially the fact that they provide the exercise gear, so I dont need to carry sweaty clothes around with me. But that was more relevant when I was going to office, and could pop by gym in the middle of the day when I had a break between meetings . Now that's less relevant and the fact that most locations are in CBD is not helpful either as I never go there.
Considered virgin active awhile back but gave up on the idea as it seemed too pricey for someone who barely goes to the gym (I box instead). Seems like a very put together place though.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 12:15 am

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 25 Sep 2021 10:50 am
My workouts are usually once during the week and then Saturdays and Sundays. But at some point before covid, I would workout during my lunch break - the thing is that I would sometimes be at Alexandra road and on other days I would be at Raffles place for meetings. So I found AF convenient because they are at all 3 locations - Alexandra, Raffles Place and 2 buildings away from my condo. Yes the only thing is that you have to carry smelly clothes which was a small price to pay for all the other benefits.

Interesting thing is that before AF, I worked out at a few gyms in the cbd. I used to actually enjoy going there on weekends because it was quite peaceful!

Nowadays, thanks to covid, I have developed a liking for jogging once a week in the neighborhood. Usually at 10pm. I do look forward to it - even though my main fitness goals revolve around lifting heavy weights.
I’ve developed a liking for jogging at night too. Started out during CB as a way to avoid the other fitness enthusiasts during the day, but I grew to love it because it’s so much more peaceful at night, and no need to worry about the sun as well. After that, a relaxing shower and off to bed.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 12:26 am

^ yes precisely, so much more peaceful. Shower and go to bed - feels pretty good.

I have to admit though that I sometimes look out towards the road around lunch time and see people running in the sun. Despite the heat, it does sometimes seem quite tempting although I just don't have enough time to do that, shower, eat lunch and then get back to work :(

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 12:59 am

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 26 Sep 2021 12:26 am
^ yes precisely, so much more peaceful. Shower and go to bed - feels pretty good.

I have to admit though that I sometimes look out towards the road around lunch time and see people running in the sun. Despite the heat, it does sometimes seem quite tempting although I just don't have enough time to do that, shower, eat lunch and then get back to work :(
Always chasing the runners high, so addictive. Once I’ve started running at night, can’t imagine going back to running in the daytime heat.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 9:51 am

I found that in my area it's more crowded in the mornings 7-9am and then after 6pm again for running.
the hot sunny time, from 11am -3pm there's hardly anyone out at the park connectors.

I would usually go running in the mornings 7ish, after taking kids to school, basically running back from there with a little sidetracks to make it 5km run, a good start for the day.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 3:07 am

Running is a great way to start the day, but I’ve found that it’s an even better way to end the day. After a good long run, I get a huge runners high and then become naturally tired after having a shower.