Singapore Expats

What are your best household processes, tools and hacks?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Edroche
Regular
Regular

What are your best household processes, tools and hacks?

Post by Edroche » Mon, 20 Sep 2021 12:16 pm

Howdy

Our nanny is leaving after 10 years. We are a family of 3. Looking to optimise our daily duties to plan, save time and remove unnecessary work. I have a few below. Looking for more. What are your best processes, tools and hacks to save time and unnecessary work?
(*Automation tech aok as long as there is tangible savings in time or toil. I.e. not turning lights on or off)

Example:

Family
Weekly schedule with shared Family calendar incl structure + schedule for 10 yo kid
Monthly fam meetings - Provide leadership and townhall. Check in. Agree/alter processes/tools.
Goals - Setting and measuring. Family and personal. Academic.

Processes
Laundry - separate baskets by colour, set days. Timer functions to start earlier in morning.
Cleaning - clean + tidy as you go etc.
Food - Set weekly menu/meals
Standardise shopping lists + delivery/shop visits
Meal prep - ?
Holiday planning - Forward schedule of school holidays for the year. Plan early.
Bills - Move from paper to e bills and auto payment/giro.
Payments - Move from cash to contactless (i.e. iPhone) for everything possible
Extra tuition - Have tutors come to home

Tools/Apps
*All below apps are free
Planning / schedule - Microsoft Outlook.com shared calendar
Task list - Microsoft To-Do
Cleaning - Are robot floor cleaners any good? Or tech is not there yet?
Morning alarm - Google Alexa/mini unreliable. Reverted to normal alarm clock. One of the best hacks found is to use smartwatch silent vibration. No more audible alarms / to wake up partner.
Payment - Apple/google/grab pay for all including transport.
Groceries - Preset lists in redmart/fairprice/cold storage. Understand frequency. Schedule.
Monitor and control kids online activity - Microsoft Family for laptops etc. Apple parental controls for any iPhone time.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: What are your best household processes, tools and hacks?

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 2:52 am

I use google for all my productivity apps. To do lists, calendar, email. It’s helpful to have everything on one platform, just connect your google account and you're done.