Singapore Expats

Where will you retire?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Where will you retire?

Post by malcontent » Sat, 07 May 2022 10:52 am

Not sure if it has been discussed on this forum, but I recently discovered that MM2H has a backdoor that allows you to get the same retirement visa on almost the same terms as before, the only catch is that you’ve got to spend 15 days in Sarawak each year.

The Sarawakian government with it’s own independent immigration is happy to provide this given how the Federal government insists on shooting themselves in the foot. It’s still a full fledged MM2H visa, just issued in Sarawak.

If you wanted to stay in Sarawak on more permanent basis and decided to buy a place there, the minimum property price for MM2H holders is just RM300k (less than S$100k) which buys a lot of house. I think it might be a good experience for some, and with all the savings it might allow for more vacations (rather than spending so much in Singapore… just to survive).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 07 May 2022 11:18 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 07 May 2022 10:52 am
Not sure if it has been discussed on this forum, but I recently discovered that MM2H has a backdoor that allows you to get the same retirement visa on almost the same terms as before, the only catch is that you’ve got to spend 15 days in Sarawak each year.

The Sarawakian government with it’s own independent immigration is happy to provide this given how the Federal government insists on shooting themselves in the foot. It’s still a full fledged MM2H visa, just issued in Sarawak.

If you wanted to stay in Sarawak on more permanent basis and decided to buy a place there, the minimum property price for MM2H holders is just RM300k (less than S$100k) which buys a lot of house. I think it might be a good experience for some, and with all the savings it might allow for more vacations (rather than spending so much in Singapore… just to survive).
Yea I can't remember if this was mentioned. I was aware of this. It could be a good option for some. Sarawak is of course much less urbanized and peaceful compared to west Malaysia. In my own case, my wife's family are all in and around KL so it wouldn't be a viable option for me.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 07 May 2022 11:56 am

That's a good one to know. Much less of a certain group over there as well
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 07 May 2022 12:37 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 07 May 2022 11:18 am
malcontent wrote:
Sat, 07 May 2022 10:52 am

Yea I can't remember if this was mentioned. I was aware of this. It could be a good option for some. Sarawak is of course much less urbanized and peaceful compared to west Malaysia. In my own case, my wife's family are all in and around KL so it wouldn't be a viable option for me.
But from what I’ve read, you can still live in West Malaysia and just take a 15 day vacation in Sarawak each year. Seems well worth it considering the significantly lower hurdles (if you wanted to go the MM2H route).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 07 May 2022 1:08 pm

Certainly worth looking into. I wonder though how much more you would pay for a property in say KL as a result of not having an MM2H from there.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 07 May 2022 6:12 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 07 May 2022 1:08 pm
Certainly worth looking into. I wonder though how much more you would pay for a property in say KL as a result of not having an MM2H from there.
Looks like for most parts of KL it’s still RM1,000,000 minimum, regardless if foreigner or MM2H holder.

Penang is quite attractive with a minimum RM500k for MM2H holders, you can buy a nice sea view high rise condo on the North side of the island that is close to beaches and town.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 07 May 2022 7:27 pm

Penang is nice but a little small. Apparently a few expats went quite stir crazy there in Covid. Similar to here I guess.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 07 May 2022 8:13 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Sat, 07 May 2022 7:27 pm
Penang is nice but a little small. Apparently a few expats went quite stir crazy there in Covid. Similar to here I guess.
Most of SE Asia has been very stifling during Covid. Several expat vloggers I follow decided to flee to Mexico and Central America during Covid — those countries stayed open through it all and didn’t get so nit picky about it.

Some of those vloggers have now returned to Asia. It’s important to stay flexible in retirement unless you have permanent residence. Despite authorities making it harder in places like Malaysia and Thailand, there are still reasonable options available in both.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 8:07 am

I still think of Mexico as a possible part time retirement location but I suspect the crime will drive me out.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 12:11 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 8:07 am
I still think of Mexico as a possible part time retirement location but I suspect the crime will drive me out.
Yeah, I’ve heard Puerto Morelos in Mexico is one of the best places to retire in the entire world; about 20 miles south of Cancun, right on the beach, with low cost of living.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 9:52 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 07 May 2022 8:13 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Sat, 07 May 2022 7:27 pm
Most of SE Asia has been very stifling during Covid. Several expat vloggers I follow decided to flee to Mexico and Central America during Covid — those countries stayed open through it all and didn’t get so nit picky about it.

Some of those vloggers have now returned to Asia. It’s important to stay flexible in retirement unless you have permanent residence. Despite authorities making it harder in places like Malaysia and Thailand, there are still reasonable options available in both.
I know Mark Wiens is in SG now, not sure if it’s for good though.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 9:54 pm

PNGMK wrote:
I’ve got quite a few friends who moved to Portugal in the last couple years for retirement. They picked it over Mexico because of the ease of acquiring residency/citizenship, healthcare, and cost of living for sure.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 9:54 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 12:11 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Yeah, I’ve heard Puerto Morelos in Mexico is one of the best places to retire in the entire world; about 20 miles south of Cancun, right on the beach, with low cost of living.
I don’t think I’ve heard of it, what’s so special?

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 01 Jul 2022 12:29 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 9:54 pm
malcontent wrote:
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 12:11 pm
PNGMK wrote:
I don’t think I’ve heard of it, what’s so special?
The beach there is amazing, the town is relaxed and low cost and has enough of what you need for day to day… and you can enjoy true local prices — but you also have Cancun nearby to catch flights or access more resources.

The fact that you’ve never heard of it is a big part of what makes it so special. As word is getting out, slowly it will become crowded and expensive… ruining the things that make it so special today. Catch it while you can!

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Fri, 01 Jul 2022 9:08 am

Interesting topic that goes back a way before I started reading here. I would contend that Singapore is not more expensive than the prime US metro areas (Manhattan is definitely more expensive). Or perhaps the correct statement is Singapore can be depending on your lifestyle but it doesn't have to be either.

Also, for the young-to-middle age adults with children, the school costs here can be much cheaper if the child is an SC. Public school elsewhere varies greatly and to get some comparable offerings (school cohort, resources, programmes, etc), you could easily be looking at US$100k pre-tax per year blown on education for two kids. I guess if the children are PR or Int'l student or attending int'l schools like SAS, etc the differential will be a lot less or even cheaper if you can stay in the public system (many Western public schools are not great but OK provided your home is located in a half decent area).

As for life once the kids go to uni and are on their own, I guess a lot is personal preference on what lifestyle you want. Stay in a high earning potential area with a lot of amenities (i.e. prime metro areas) and things won't be cheap. Some areas in other large countries give you a lot more options, but it truly is a much different lifestyle than what many people have been living here for 20+ years. I guess one thing people may gripe but here is that you can only adjust so much, and geographically (scenery, seasons, etc) you can't really adjust much at all.