Singapore Expats

Where will you retire?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Where will you retire?

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 27 Oct 2021 2:15 am

Swn4 wrote:
Tue, 26 Oct 2021 10:44 pm
I and a C/T (civics tutorial group) mate from Hwa Chong got admitted to Cornell in JC1 and another C/T mate got admitted to MIT in JC2. However this was in the mid 80s and admissions departments tightened up requirements after that.
Personally, I think O levels were enough academically but it is not easy socially when you are younger than everyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow, very impressive! What would have compelled you to apply to an ivy so early on?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 27 Oct 2021 2:16 am

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 20 Oct 2021 5:36 pm
malcontent wrote:
Wed, 20 Oct 2021 4:26 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 20 Oct 2021 3:26 pm
I remember you telling me that O levels are good enough for comm college. My wife doesn't believe it and she teaches at an American school here!
after O-Levels in Singapore she went straight to university in the US.
I can confirm that too. My friend dropped out of JC and enrolled in a uni in Wisconsin with just her O Level cert. That was back in the late 90s and early 2000s.
So interesting, not sure it would be as easy to do so now, although still possible.

Swn4
Regular
Regular

Post by Swn4 » Wed, 27 Oct 2021 8:00 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Swn4 wrote:
I and a C/T (civics tutorial group) mate from Hwa Chong got admitted to Cornell in JC1 and another C/T mate got admitted to MIT in JC2. However this was in the mid 80s and admissions departments tightened up requirements after that.
Personally, I think O levels were enough academically but it is not easy socially when you are younger than everyone else.

Wow, very impressive! What would have compelled you to apply to an ivy so early on?
This was the 80s with no WWW so very little information available about competitiveness or the weather(!). I just applied to a list of schools from the Barron’s guide which meant very skewed to schools in the New England states.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 27 Oct 2021 9:19 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 2:14 am
True, some schools will take O level results but the better, more competitive ones do not accept just O level results. If the student is hoping to gain admission into a more exclusive school, A level results would certainly be helpful.
That’s right. And for my daughter, she is very ambitious and driven. She just got her Sec 4 results back — straight A’s. I’d bet she could already get into an excellent university as it is, but she is an IP student, so she’s skipping O-Level and going straight to JC.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 27 Oct 2021 10:49 am

IP student?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:01 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 10:49 am
IP student?
Yes, she is an IP (Integrated program) student.

IP is unique to Singapore, and is a recent, somewhat controversial development in the local education system here. It allows top performing students (generally top 10% of PSLE scorers; cut-off points vary by school) to skip O-Levels and go straight to A-level after Sec 4.

The idea is that by not having to study for O-Levels, it frees up students to broaden their educational exposure. She wanted IP and has no regrets.
Last edited by malcontent on Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:02 am

PNGMK wrote:
IP student?
Integrated Programme. Also known as “zhi tong che” in Mandarin which means “through train”.

The student skips O levels after PSLE and goes straight to A levels. That means they spend 6 years in a secondary school-JC environment. Though if they fail A levels, they’ll only have a PSLE cert…

But from my knowledge the teachers will assess them around Sec 3 to see if they can make it to A levels without the O levels. If they can’t, they are persuaded to drop the IP and take O levels.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:10 am

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:02 am
PNGMK wrote:
IP student?
Integrated Programme. Also known as “zhi tong che” in Mandarin which means “through train”.

The student skips O levels after PSLE and goes straight to A levels. That means they spend 6 years in a secondary school-JC environment. Though if they fail A levels, they’ll only have a PSLE cert…

But from my knowledge the teachers will assess them around Sec 3 to see if they can make it to A levels without the O levels. If they can’t, they are persuaded to drop the IP and take O levels.
That is correct. A friend of my daughter was moved from IP back to O-Level. So I think they are careful to avoid that risk.

For my daughter, she will study university in the US, so her A-level results won’t matter, and won’t even be available when she applies.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Oct 2021 2:18 am

Swn4 wrote:
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 8:00 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Swn4 wrote:

This was the 80s with no WWW so very little information available about competitiveness or the weather(!). I just applied to a list of schools from the Barron’s guide which meant very skewed to schools in the New England states.

Wow, still amazing that they took you so early on. What made you apply to college at such a young age?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Oct 2021 2:19 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:10 am
MOCHS wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
IP student?

That is correct. A friend of my daughter was moved from IP back to O-Level. So I think they are careful to avoid that risk.

For my daughter, she will study university in the US, so her A-level results won’t matter, and won’t even be available when she applies.
If she’s applying RD to any schools, the results will be relevant. But on a whole, relatively meaningless.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Oct 2021 2:20 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 9:19 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 2:14 am
True, some schools will take O level results but the better, more competitive ones do not accept just O level results. If the student is hoping to gain admission into a more exclusive school, A level results would certainly be helpful.
That’s right. And for my daughter, she is very ambitious and driven. She just got her Sec 4 results back — straight A’s. I’d bet she could already get into an excellent university as it is, but she is an IP student, so she’s skipping O-Level and going straight to JC.
Excellent, good for her! My daughter does IP as well, she just graduated from Raffles and is waiting to take her A levels. Where does your daughter go?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Oct 2021 2:23 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:01 am
PNGMK wrote:
IP student?
Yes, she is an IP (Integrated program) student.

IP is unique to Singapore, and is a recent, somewhat controversial development in the local education system here. It allows top performing students (generally top 10% of PSLE scorers; cut-off points vary by school) to skip O-Levels and go straight to A-level after Sec 4.

The idea is that by not having to study for O-Levels, it frees up students to broaden their educational exposure. She wanted IP and has no regrets.
Same with my daughter, she just wanted a guaranteed spot in a top JC, and didn’t want to have to worry about studying for O levels.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Oct 2021 2:26 am

MOCHS wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
IP student?

Its a relatively safe gamble to take most times. Most students in the IP program are relatively studious and able to pull through to A levels.

Swn4
Regular
Regular

Post by Swn4 » Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:12 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Swn4 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote: Wow, very impressive! What would have compelled you to apply to an ivy so early on?

Wow, still amazing that they took you so early on. What made you apply to college at such a young age?
Because other people were doing the same. And a huge dose of being too young to know better.
With hindsight, I’d recommend to slow down.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 30 Oct 2021 3:45 am

Swn4 wrote:
Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:12 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Swn4 wrote:

Because other people were doing the same. And a huge dose of being too young to know better.
With hindsight, I’d recommend to slow down.

Wow, nowadays barely anybody does that. I agree with you, being ready for college is more than just being academically ready, there’s also a level of maturity that one must have in order to thrive.