Singapore Expats

The process for getting a job as an expat

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Jonas89

The process for getting a job as an expat

Post by Jonas89 » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 3:01 am

Hi all, I live in EU and have about 4 years of programming experience, but no CS degree (but I do have a degree in an unrelated field). Would it be difficult for someone like me to find a job in Singapore? Should I just keep applying online to everywhere I think I'm qualified, or only look for job ads that offer work visa sponsorship/mention in the ad that they specifically are looking for expats?

I'm just unsure about the legal aspects of all of this. Thank you!

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: The process for getting a job as an expat

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 4:23 am

Jonas89 wrote:
Thu, 16 Sep 2021 3:01 am
Hi all, I live in EU and have about 4 years of programming experience, but no CS degree (but I do have a degree in an unrelated field). Would it be difficult for someone like me to find a job in Singapore? Should I just keep applying online to everywhere I think I'm qualified, or only look for job ads that offer work visa sponsorship/mention in the ad that they specifically are looking for expats?

I'm just unsure about the legal aspects of all of this. Thank you!
Forget about it. If you want to work in Singapore, go to work for a multinational company and ask to be transferred to their Singapore office.

Almost nobody comes in cold and gets a job, degree or no. You're a hassle to hire. You've got no Asian experience. The gahmen considers IT a primary focus for locals.

That's the reality. You might be able to get a job more easily in Malaysia's technology corridor (Kuala Lumpur area).

Them's the facts.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 8:10 pm

Exactly. MNCs are the easiest way, getting hired over a local here would be tough.

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Post by Wong_Jnr » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 10:39 am

Programmer + 4 years experience + no relevant degree = not a chance

Even at a MNC aiming for a transfer very little chance to get a work permit too. You're in a sector that's under huge scrutiny

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 2:25 pm

^^^^FACT!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

potatoinsg

Post by potatoinsg » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 2:37 pm

Hi Original Poster,

I would like to share my views on your post. You are in a disadvantaged position to apply for jobs in Singapore.
1. You don't have a CS degree but do you have a bachelor degree?
- When the employers apply a work pass (SPass, EP or etc), they would need proof of your education level. If your job/industry is on high demand in Singapore, you might stand a chance of getting your pass approved in a short period of time. Well, that being said, it's still very challenging as the government is tightening on the policies for the foreign talents as we speak.

2. Are you located outside of Singapore?
- It is a huge hassle for the employers to hire an expat or non resident/foreigner as they have to go through a long process of visa complications and waiting for your relocation.

3. Job searching
- Most local firms would not go through those aforementioned hassles to hire you (unless you have connection to the company), you have to look for jobs at MNC where they are not in a rush to fill up a position in the company. Besides, you probably want to ask for a transfer to Singapore (if you can) from your current location.

All the best for your job hunt! Best Wishes

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 3:06 pm

4 years of experience. Forget about it. They typically bring in foreigners who have at least 10 years of experience. Preferably with more niche skills - keep in mind that there aren't that many coding jobs in Singapore in the first place.