The process for getting a job as an expat

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Jonas89

The process for getting a job as an expat

Post by Jonas89 » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 3:01 am

Hi all, I live in EU and have about 4 years of programming experience, but no CS degree (but I do have a degree in an unrelated field). Would it be difficult for someone like me to find a job in Singapore? Should I just keep applying online to everywhere I think I'm qualified, or only look for job ads that offer work visa sponsorship/mention in the ad that they specifically are looking for expats?

I'm just unsure about the legal aspects of all of this. Thank you!

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 3

Re: The process for getting a job as an expat

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 4:23 am

Jonas89 wrote:
Thu, 16 Sep 2021 3:01 am
Hi all, I live in EU and have about 4 years of programming experience, but no CS degree (but I do have a degree in an unrelated field). Would it be difficult for someone like me to find a job in Singapore? Should I just keep applying online to everywhere I think I'm qualified, or only look for job ads that offer work visa sponsorship/mention in the ad that they specifically are looking for expats?

I'm just unsure about the legal aspects of all of this. Thank you!
Forget about it. If you want to work in Singapore, go to work for a multinational company and ask to be transferred to their Singapore office.

Almost nobody comes in cold and gets a job, degree or no. You're a hassle to hire. You've got no Asian experience. The gahmen considers IT a primary focus for locals.

That's the reality. You might be able to get a job more easily in Malaysia's technology corridor (Kuala Lumpur area).

Them's the facts.

Lisafuller
Editor
Editor
Answers: 1

Re: The process for getting a job as an expat

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 8:10 pm

Exactly. MNCs are the easiest way, getting hired over a local here would be tough.