Singapore Expats

LTVP for foreign spouse if SC spouse hasn't earned any income in the past 5 years?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: LTVP for foreign spouse if SC spouse hasn't earned any income in the past 5 years?

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 7:48 am

Market is tough right now, companies aren’t even biting for LTVP holders even though there’s no quota or levy. Husband has been applying non-stop and there are no replies. *shrug*

Also sucks that any kind of job support scheme is for PRs and citizens only too. It’s so hard for a SC-NR (non-resident) couple to sink roots in SG if the NR does not have PR. Why does it feel like so many companies aren’t aware that LTVP exists and that they can employ such holders without the red tape that happens when hiring foreigners?

I’ve had friends who are surprised why I didn’t uproot to the US to be with hubby… Well, I’ll be paid by the hour instead of a monthly salary, leave days might be single digits, maternity leave isn’t compulsory, and don’t get me started on healthcare.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Re: LTVP for foreign spouse if SC spouse hasn't earned any income in the past 5 years?

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 9:18 am

We were in a pretty secure position in the UK, truth be told.

I was in a secure role and my wife, despite retrenchment, was offered a better paying position in the same field.

But we wanted to raise our son in Singapore was the primary motivating factor. A much larger and extended family here, plus the ability to raise him in a society that is much more accepting of his ethnicity - plus we felt that growing up here would stand him in better stead for his life (easier to adopt the languages of his mother’s side etc).

I’ve got an interview on Friday, which is in the rather specific field that I’ve worked for the past 15 years. Here’s to hoping.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 6:32 pm

Sunjackal wrote:
Tue, 21 Sep 2021 11:41 pm
I’m somewhat fortunate because we bought a resale HDB, although it doesn’t actually reside in my name at all.

The tough part is this wait as I seek employment. Once I am gainfully employed, it’ll be a massive weight lifted.
Good luck with the job interview!

HDBs are pushing 7 figures these days… really no housing here is what I consider cheap.

Now, the small 660sqft 2br landed house I bought in the US for $38k in 2007 for my brother to live in… now that was cheap! Five years later, I bought the empty lot next door for $8k. I consider that cheap too. So total combined lot size is 25,000 sq ft, and it’s a corner lot.

Although small, it has a garage and central heating/air-conditioning. I often tell my brother he is living better than me.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr