Singapore Expats

Local school ? International school?

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
anuragcallida1

Local school ? International school?

Post by anuragcallida1 » Mon, 13 Sep 2021 7:44 pm

Will be relocating to Singapore with the family and 2 kids 6 and 4..is it better to register them at local schools or International School?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Local school ? International school?

Post by malcontent » Mon, 13 Sep 2021 9:13 pm

Default is international unless you are local.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Tue, 14 Sep 2021 8:42 am

Local primary and secondary schools are hard to get into due to limited slots available to foreigners. For your 6 year old, the registration for local school primary 1 for year 2022 is already over. So the choice for your 6 year old is International School. For primary 2 to 5, you can apply for a slot in local school through AEIS. For your 4 year old, there are many choices for private preschool. Private preschools can be local (PCF,NTUC) or international. Government owned pre-schools are for citizens only.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 14 Sep 2021 9:03 am

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 14 Sep 2021 2:03 pm

I didn’t think the OP wanted a detailed answer, because they didn’t ask a detailed question.

We don’t know what country they are coming from.

We don’t know how long they are going to be here.

We don’t know who is paying for the school fees.

We don’t know the immigration status of the family.

How can we really make a proper recommendation… with just… the kids… ages?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Sep 2021 3:01 pm

Sure wish our readers were a little more observant with the data everybody can see (not the back-end stuff) The OP registered on the 13, made one post on the 13th and even his location under his name shows Dehli as the current location. We know he is not immigrating from India, nobody is at the moment. (S)Hes a signature spammer in all probability. Leave post up, will eventually return and post a hyperlink in the signature block. If the post sounds silly or strange, check when, where, and how many posts before spending a lot of time replying or give it 24 hrs before posting, as a mod will, in all probability delete it. Now we cannot without deleting all those who took his bait.

moderato
r
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:32 am

So what’s the lesson here… when a newbie first poster asks a question that doesn’t pass the sniff test, just report it? Even if there is a small chance they are legit?

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 15 Sep 2021 8:43 am

Here's a similar one...

viewtopic.php?t=125594#p834246

OP never came back or responded. I take these with a grain of salt. Sometimes legit, often not.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Sep 2021 7:29 pm

That's why I advise if it's a new registration and the post made minutes after registering. (and it's from another country - usually they don't put that info out like this one did) I generally give them 24 hours before I delete them or a mod will see the backend and delete usually within that 24 hrs. when we start sweeping out the trash. Usually one of us will spot it before it gets a nibble by a regular. Often if only one response, I'll delete both at the same time rather than leave an orphan post.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 7:42 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:32 am
So what’s the lesson here… when a newbie first poster asks a question that doesn’t pass the sniff test, just report it? Even if there is a small chance they are legit?
The lesson is probably don't bother with this forum.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 7:57 pm

malcontent wrote:
My thoughts exactly, doing so would block so many sincere members from posting.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 8:59 pm

tiktok wrote:
Thu, 16 Sep 2021 7:42 pm
malcontent wrote:
You do know where the door is, right? Don't let it hit you in the arse on the way out.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 9:02 pm

tiktok wrote:
Thu, 16 Sep 2021 7:42 pm
malcontent wrote:
It's a shame you never learned the lesson.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 9:21 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 16 Sep 2021 7:57 pm
malcontent wrote:
My thoughts exactly, doing so would block so many sincere members from posting.
After a couple of months on here the regulars should also be able to smell something that just doesn't read or look right. So, instead of letting it ride for 24 hours before responding to a suspect post. Go ahead and take your valuable time to respond. When ever we do the sweeping up of the garbage (at different hours) when we come across one, we'll just delete the OP post leaving a thread of orphan posts or we will just delete the whole thread. We've basically operated this way for 18 years now and most of our regulars appreciate the fact there are not hundreds of crap threads for them to wade through.

Reporting a post doesn't necessarily get it deleted. It gets reviewed by the mods and if warranted, yes it is summarily deleted, and the report is inactivated which lets the person who reported it know it has been looked and if any actions were necessary, they were taken.

The board is swept several times a day. That is why we have four active moderators. some of us don't start moderating until early evening until stupid hours in the morning. Mal already knows this and he often reports suspect posts.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 17 Sep 2021 9:02 am

Do you really think other forums are managed like this? Some have 100-500x the traffic of this one.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.