Singapore Expats

Covid numbers are still high

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Covid numbers are still high

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 5:56 pm

Things are going to get really interesting when things turn endemic and the masks come off - especially as it relates to flu. If it comes back (hypothetical):

1. Low uptake of flu vaccine can be lethal, we haven’t had any real population exposure for nearly 2 years. We thus have Low herd immunity, so expect a lot of cases, leading to…
2. Flu kills young children, C19 doesn’t. Will there be a change in tolerance to child deaths from flu?
3. Flu kills the elderly, we know all about that
4. Multiplex PCR tests that differentiate C19, RSV and Flu will be essential

Given 2 and 3 above, will mask mandates come back? Masks, social distancing a lockdowns are truly key to knocking out flu.

PCR testing will likely remain essential for anyone with fever and sniffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 10:44 pm

The future lies in mRNA vaccines that are produced quickly enough to be able to combat all sorts of viruses with one shot.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/last-pande ... 021-04-11/

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/using-mrn ... -vaccines/

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Fri, 24 Sep 2021 7:16 pm

Another step backwards today.
Back to wfh as default we go.

Probably somebody realized that the groups of people most at risk of serious illness also happens to be the vote bank for the gahmen.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 2:25 am

the observer wrote:
Fri, 24 Sep 2021 7:16 pm
Another step backwards today.
Back to wfh as default we go.

Probably somebody realized that the groups of people most at risk of serious illness also happens to be the vote bank for the gahmen.
And the reduction of social gathering group sizes, must say I’m disheartened, but not surprised.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 2:26 am

Addadude wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 9:15 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 2:12 am
Wow, oil burns?! Must have been unbearably painful… sounds like you’ve lead quite a life.
Chuck Norris' biggest fear is SMS.
Hahaha

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 2:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:24 pm
Mal, you raise a good point. While my kids are pretty resistant to things like the flu & common colds, my wife isn't. It would appear, in hindsight that you may be right. Not to the level that I have because mine is not genetic but induced by unconscious mind control (survival instinct when I was born as I wasn't supposed to survive my first month) and consciously reinforced when I missed that 2.5 months illness when I was six. The mind is a powerful thing if you know how to control it. The pain threshold is a different story. That might be genetic or also as a result of my birth issues. My kids would come home from school with the sniffles but usually by the next morning they were right so if my created internal strength became genetic I suppose there might be a possibility when compared to their peers when they were in school.

Sadly I'm NOT unbreakable, but therein lies the problem (and it IS a problem) with such a high pain threshold, which I don't control unless I can see damage. The doctors in the burn clinic in Baton Rouge told me that after watching me from the time of my arrival via helicopter/ambulance and me step out of the ambulance and not on a gurney (whole right side of my body from waist to head and from backbone to sternum was burned). I never had anything for pain and I never went into shock and just baffled them to no end. But he told me later that what I possessed could turn out to be a cursed blessing due to the fact I'd not be aware of internal injuries unless there was something physical I could see externally.
So interesting, perhaps even if nothing was passed on on a genetic level you’ve at least passed on your resilient attitude.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 2:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:41 pm
So, back to Covid. Yes, I'm fully vaxxed + booster. I don't know how covid will affect me, but that's not the reason why I've opted to get it all. Vaxxing will not stop you from catching it, but it might make it relatively minor in the overall scope of things and it might stop me from infecting others as I will probably be able to carry a heavier viral load without showing symptoms. That could be dangerous for my wife and kids/g.kids. I surely don't want that.
My father had his booster shot today as well, he’s in his early 60s. Not too concerned about catching COVID, but like you is more concerned about passing it on to others. Just doing his part, which I think is admirable.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 2:31 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 5:56 pm
Things are going to get really interesting when things turn endemic and the masks come off - especially as it relates to flu. If it comes back (hypothetical):

1. Low uptake of flu vaccine can be lethal, we haven’t had any real population exposure for nearly 2 years. We thus have Low herd immunity, so expect a lot of cases, leading to…
2. Flu kills young children, C19 doesn’t. Will there be a change in tolerance to child deaths from flu?
3. Flu kills the elderly, we know all about that
4. Multiplex PCR tests that differentiate C19, RSV and Flu will be essential

Given 2 and 3 above, will mask mandates come back? Masks, social distancing a lockdowns are truly key to knocking out flu.

PCR testing will likely remain essential for anyone with fever and sniffles.

Interesting, I’ve never given this much thought. I guess they will have to find some way to work around mask mandates- after all, we can’t have them on forever. Not sure what they’ll do instead though, might not have a choice.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 7:40 am

As we enter into another period of restrictions in Singapore, and other countries remain in some form of lockdown, is there now an opportunity to knock out another disease?

Syphilis. Only found in humans, generally sexually transmitted, and easily treated with available antibiotics.

Can we wipe out Syphilis by issuing everyone a course of antibiotics? Granted it’s not targeted treatment, but basically applying the same shotgun approach principle to eliminate it from the population.

I assure you, if we can’t eliminate a low spreading STD like Syphilis, with the simple tools available right now, we have no chance of controlling something as infectious as COVID-19.

We are just plugging a hole in the hull with our finger/ appendage.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 8:25 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 25 Sep 2021 7:40 am
As we enter into another period of restrictions in Singapore, and other countries remain in some form of lockdown, is there now an opportunity to knock out another disease?

Syphilis. Only found in humans, generally sexually transmitted, and easily treated with available antibiotics.

Can we wipe out Syphilis by issuing everyone a course of antibiotics? Granted it’s not targeted treatment, but basically applying the same shotgun approach principle to eliminate it from the population.

I assure you, if we can’t eliminate a low spreading STD like Syphilis, with the simple tools available right now, we have no chance of controlling something as infectious as COVID-19.

STD can be easily avoided by monogamy, why is that so hard?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Covid numbers are still high

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 10:46 am

Monogamy is a non-biological construct, created and managed by human decisions. It can be visibly and invisibly practiced/ malpracticed.

Syphilis is entirely dependent on humans, and cannot exist outside, purely black or white.

Syphilis is a concern when it is a transfusion-transmitted infection. Millions are spent every year testing blood donors for Syphilis. Eliminate Syphilis with a one time effort, you perpetually save millions of dollars every year.

sp786
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Post by sp786 » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 11:41 am

B-School essays ask about the biggest Moral Dilemna we faced and how we handled it. I think the dilemnas some gaawhmens face as a result of covid and spooky public who are divided would end up as the biggest Moral/Ethical Dilemna of our lifetimes.

So many times ding dong ding dong

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 1:02 am

BBCDoc wrote:

Would this be in the form of a mandate? If it’s voluntary I doubt many will be receptive, even if the outcome will be for the benefit of all.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 1:04 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 25 Sep 2021 8:25 am
BBCDoc wrote:

STD can be easily avoided by monogamy, why is that so hard?
Difficult for those who are unmarried and engaging in casual sex, youngsters are not the only ones who behave as such, older folks do it too.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 1:05 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 25 Sep 2021 10:46 am
Monogamy is a non-biological construct, created and managed by human decisions. It can be visibly and invisibly practiced/ malpracticed.

Syphilis is entirely dependent on humans, and cannot exist outside, purely black or white.

Syphilis is a concern when it is a transfusion-transmitted infection. Millions are spent every year testing blood donors for Syphilis. Eliminate Syphilis with a one time effort, you perpetually save millions of dollars every year.

Seems like the obvious choice, but probably wouldn’t be so obvious to the general populace.