Singapore Expats Forum

Negotiating a salary for a Singapore IT Development job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

LMFromAustralia

Negotiating a salary for a Singapore IT Development job

Postby LMFromAustralia » Fri, 21 May 2004 9:52 am

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with some idea of
Singapore expat salaries and what are common parts of a package.

I will be working for an MNC as a senior developer, coming out from
Australia. It looks like the package being offered will not include any
housing allowance or flights home, but I guess these might be able
to be negotiated? What other benefits are often included in packages
for people recruited overseas?

Also, what is a typical salary (base) for a senior developer in a leader-
ship position, working with MS technologies, 8+ years exp.

Thanks very much,

LMFromAustralia

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 22 May 2004 12:26 pm

Well, the basic difference is expat vs local. Expats are employed by the home company, are protected by the home country's laws (usually a lot better for the employee than Singapore's) and get paid in the home country's currency. Locals are employed locally, paid locally, and subject to Sing law (which means that after 50 years of service you can be fired with one week's notice and without any reason).

As for salary ranges, it depends a lot on your field: do you have specific expertise, or are you just run-of-the-mill MS coder? For case A you might get S$10000 in the right field, for case B you'll be competing against hungry locals & Indians and might not even pass S$5000. As a reference point, a college grad can be hired for less than S$2000.

Postby Guest » Fri, 11 Jun 2004 5:02 pm

jpatokal wrote:Well, the basic difference is expat vs local. Expats are employed by the home company, are protected by the home country's laws (usually a lot better for the employee than Singapore's) and get paid in the home country's currency. Locals are employed locally, paid locally, and subject to Sing law (which means that after 50 years of service you can be fired with one week's notice and without any reason).

As for salary ranges, it depends a lot on your field: do you have specific expertise, or are you just run-of-the-mill MS coder? For case A you might get S$10000 in the right field, for case B you'll be competing against hungry locals & Indians and might not even pass S$5000. As a reference point, a college grad can be hired for less than S$2000.

quite right adjective "hungry local and indias" and salary of 2000 many people ask the salary in singapore and ask advice to come bcak. the salary is the right answer. i mean i read in anzdnet article that IT expats in singapore earn a salry above 23,000 US$(23%) PER MONTH !!!!!,
13000-23000US dollar per mont (19 %) and rest above 8000USD per month. I was amaze. I have seen people with many years of work experience working on a salary of <2000USD in singapore. find me a job where we get that. if you are writing an article in a popular magazine you should properly research the whole market. this can cause quite a lot of misunderstanding especially for expats. you land here thinking something and ar egiven a loaf of bread with no butter.