Singapore Expats

One of the highest vaccine uptake but still many cases

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Post by Jgrif96229 » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 6:31 pm

Is it me but it seems with each new announcement of being high on world Covid vaccine uptake the case numbers keep increasing here.

Can't be that too many unvaccinated folks dining out. Lots of good measures in place and trying to run without too many restrictions.
Any thoughts?
Joseph griffin

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: One of the highest vaccine uptake but still many cases

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 7:59 pm

Jgrif96229 wrote:Is it me but it seems with each new announcement of being high on world Covid vaccine uptake the case numbers keep increasing here.

Can't be that too many unvaccinated folks dining out. Lots of good measures in place and trying to run without too many restrictions.
Any thoughts?
Where has your reading comprehension been these months?

It has been repeated across many platforms - vaccination does not stop infection, it reduces severity of infection.

How do you think your immune system is going to stop 2 virus particles in your lungs infecting a cell? Get real.

Why don’t you tell us hospitalisation and ICU rates vs vaccination?

Man up and stop stirring s**t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 8:00 pm

The one sure way to get a higher case counts is to increase testing.

It also seems like a good tactic, to show a higher case count… isn’t that likely to motivate the last vestiges of the unvaccinated population to get vaxxed?

Maybe I’m too much of a conspiracy theorist?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Post by Jgrif96229 » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 8:27 pm

Lock downs in the past had been based on case counts. I agree that right now they should be broken down to serious hospitalizations. Two Hundred Fifty Nine sounds like alot but not really. Not really if the 259 being vaccinated recover rapidly and are less I'll.
Joseph griffin

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 8:29 pm

Hey Mal,

At this point in time, risk assessment is probably not evenly weighted amongst the unvaccinated. Even if numbers go up, they’ll likely understand not everyone gets sick.

What has been interesting is the number of mortalities that suddenly jumped in August, especially amongst elderly unvaccinated.

I would like to see the number cases of long COVID, severity of disease, time to resolution, and potential associated healthcare treatment costs - out of pocket will be important. Compare these against the cost of vaccine adverse effects.

Think I saw in one article, the US estimated each COVID case to cost an average of USD 50k. Make that a personal liability and you will see attitudes change.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 8:33 pm

Oh, I keep meaning to write in to complain…the daily infection infographics in the ST is incorrect.

Graphs currently show 3 types:
In quarantine
Not in quarantine
Unlinked.

There are actually really 4 types:
Linked vs unlinked
Quarantined vs unquarantined

It is thus more accurate to show 4 segments to the bar graph:

Major:
Linked vs unlinked

Minor (above split)
Quarantined vs unquarantined

sp786
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Post by sp786 » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:26 am

Vaccine is what is keeping ICU's at bay or free in Singapore due to high uptake. However i also notice Wu Mao's now demanding Sinovac, Sinopharm and all sino vaccines on this pretext because the efficacy of mRNA according to them is very low.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 8:14 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 04 Sep 2021 7:59 pm
Jgrif96229 wrote:Is it me but it seems with each new announcement of being high on world Covid vaccine uptake the case numbers keep increasing here.

Any thoughts?
Where has your reading comprehension been these months?

It has been repeated across many platforms - vaccination does not stop infection, it reduces severity of infection.

How do you think your immune system is going to stop 2 virus particles in your lungs infecting a cell? Get real.
What Jgrif96229 probably meant was, wasn't vaccines expected to limit/prevent the spreading of the virus? And the answer is - yes, but clearly sometimes they are not that effective. Still, they do the job and l believe significantly limit the number of infections aside of managing severity of the disease or preventing it to develop. We would be in much worse situation with no vaccines, that's for sure.

We have to learn how to live with it until something more effective gets developed. Many old folks in colder countries get their anti-flu jabs every single year. This may be also the case for the covid and reality for the next few or more years to come.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 8:33 am

A parallel would be to count how many drivers speed on the road at any point.

Doesn’t reflect the state of driving standards. More accurate to look at the number of accidents and deaths.

Since COVID has the chance for self limited symptomatic Infection, or full-blown severe infection and death, the real measure of concern is the latter.

We can still have total coverage, 3 million infections and 70 deaths total, that will be a great indication of vaccine success. If we have 150,000 deaths - among vaccinated population, then it is a sh***y vaccine and we need to keep masks and social restrictions in place a lot more.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 9:12 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 04 Sep 2021 8:00 pm
The one sure way to get a higher case counts is to increase testing.

It also seems like a good tactic, to show a higher case count… isn’t that likely to motivate the last vestiges of the unvaccinated population to get vaxxed?

Maybe I’m too much of a conspiracy theorist?
I see it similar way but for the antivaxxers more compelling should be the statistics of the unvaccinated ending up in the ICUs and dying and this is the message that is heard louder in the past 2 months.

Plus I think it is probably a part of the measures to communicate and get people used to the fact that the virus is to stay for some time, but as long as it is kept at the levels not causing fully blown symptomatic disease there is nothing to be really worry about.

People do not realize how many viruses are in their bodies all the time and some of them are not exactly benign and just waiting for opportunity to strike.