Singapore Expats

Expatriation from France - Contract Negotiation

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Sng1234

Expatriation from France - Contract Negotiation

Post by Sng1234 » Fri, 03 Sep 2021 8:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I’m from France, Paris, and I work in a industrial group in the legal department as a legal counsel for 5 years now.

I’m seriously considering to move to Singapore.

Singapore seems very pleasant to live in but I would like to have the same let’s say « confort » I have here in Paris before moving to the other side of the world.

I earn 45k per year (in which is include the retirement + a very good medical care + 45 days off + death/ accident insurance)

1200€ for rent,

100€ for transport,

400€ for groceries

and maybe 300€ for hobbies (restaurant, movies, theatre)

(those are my main expenses per months)

My question is the following, what remuneration I’m entitled to? What perks should I absolutely negotiate?

I search meticulously through all the forums, and apparently the equivalent of my French salary would be around 115k S$ Is that accurate ? Isn’t it too much (or maybe not enough)?

Thank you very much for your inputs !

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: Expatriation from France - Contract Negotiation

Post by Myasis Dragon » Fri, 03 Sep 2021 10:41 pm

Is your company going to transfer you to Singapore? If not, your chances of living and working in Singapore are very low. Singapore has plenty of home grown lawyers.

As for costs... here's an idea...

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... Comparison

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Expatriation from France - Contract Negotiation

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sat, 11 Sep 2021 2:10 pm

Sng1234 wrote:
Fri, 03 Sep 2021 8:09 pm
Hello everyone,

I’m from France, Paris, and I work in a industrial group in the legal department as a legal counsel for 5 years now.

I’m seriously considering to move to Singapore.

Singapore seems very pleasant to live in but I would like to have the same let’s say « confort » I have here in Paris before moving to the other side of the world.

I earn 45k per year (in which is include the retirement + a very good medical care + 45 days off + death/ accident insurance)

1200€ for rent,

100€ for transport,

400€ for groceries

and maybe 300€ for hobbies (restaurant, movies, theatre)

(those are my main expenses per months)

My question is the following, what remuneration I’m entitled to? What perks should I absolutely negotiate?

I search meticulously through all the forums, and apparently the equivalent of my French salary would be around 115k S$ Is that accurate ? Isn’t it too much (or maybe not enough)?

Thank you very much for your inputs !
As you don't share much other info, I assume that:
You are single, around 30 years, and based on those expenses are used to relatively small apartment, using public transport and cooking your own meals mostly. Only housing is more expensive in Singapore, and even that is not much worse than Paris.

I don't really get it why healthcare coverage would be a big interest for a young person unless there's a some underlying medical conditions that require continuous medication or treatment. Regular GP visits etc are not expensive and most companies would have some kind of medical plan. So that would be my smallest thing to worry about.

One item if you can negotiate, is to have housing covered, 2.5-3k of from your spending on condo unit.

So yes as 10kS$ per month I'd say is about the level I'd expect a lawyer that has something to qualify for EP to make. Otherwise why need to bring an overseas one to here. It is actually much more than your french salary, as the taxman here is a friendly fellow and you can keep over 90% of your pay for yourself.

This all assuming that you are looking for an internal transfer withing the company. Otherwise forget it.