Singapore Expats

PR application: Foreign Identity Number (issued by foreign authorities)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dineshpandichellam

PR application: Foreign Identity Number (issued by foreign authorities)

Post by dineshpandichellam » Wed, 01 Sep 2021 1:15 am

Hi,

Can somebody please let me know what is the second Foreign Identity Number (Issued by Foreign Authorities) mentioned in Form4A? Is it ok to choose No Foreign Identity Number here?

Please provide your help as I am really not sure what does this actually means.

Thanks.
Capture.JPG

watertoen

Re: PR application: Foreign Identity Number (issued by foreign authorities)

Post by watertoen » Wed, 01 Sep 2021 11:01 am

Hi Dinesh - some friends of mine recommended using the aadhar number during my application process.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Sep 2021 11:46 am

Be assured, if your country issues identity cards and you are issued a unique identity number, Singapore will know which country do so and what to look for. If they don't get the number that they anticipate, you are only jeopardizing your application. Let that be your guide. Remember, tens of '000's have applied before you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 01 Sep 2021 12:08 pm

"If" you have an aadhar number. Probably a good idea to input it there.

For non Indians who are wondering, UID is still a work in progress and they are still rolling it out. Not everyone has one - for instance, I moved out of India in 2013 when it was still very early days of the rollout. Thereafter, I became an NRI and was not required to get a UID.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Sep 2021 12:43 pm

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 01 Sep 2021 12:08 pm

For non Indians who are wondering, UID is still a work in progress and they are still rolling it out. Not everyone has one - for instance, I moved out of India in 2013 when it was still very early days of the rollout. Thereafter, I became an NRI and was not required to get a UID.
Do you still hold property in India? My son-in-law's parents have been here over 30 years now, but both still only PR's (my son-in-law took up SGC while in NS - He was approached to go to OCS and the carrot, being an officer, would necessarily confer SGC on him, so he took it!) As his parents have been here so long, I wonder if they would have the UID or NRI considering they still have a huge property/plantation (although the plantation was ruined by elephants which are protected in Kerala). Because they are still property owners, would they still have been issued a UID? Just curious.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 01 Sep 2021 2:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 01 Sep 2021 12:43 pm
smoulder wrote:
Wed, 01 Sep 2021 12:08 pm

Do you still hold property in India? My son-in-law's parents have been here over 30 years now, but both still only PR's (my son-in-law took up SGC while in NS - He was approached to go to OCS and the carrot, being an officer, would necessarily confer SGC on him, so he took it!) As his parents have been here so long, I wonder if they would have the UID or NRI considering they still have a huge property/plantation (although the plantation was ruined by elephants which are protected in Kerala). Because they are still property owners, would they still have been issued a UID? Just curious.
Yes, I do own property in India. It's my dad's apartment which was jointly registered in my sister's and my name when he passed away in 2016. I intend to sell once covid eases, but that's a whole different topic and unrelated to UID.

Anyway, there's no link between being a property owner and having a UID. Not that I'm aware of. The rules are ambiguous in typical Indian style - from what I recall, the government websites, on the one hand state that only residents of India are eligible to apply for a UID and that would exclude NRIs. And on the other hand, the websites also state that NRIs "can" apply for a UID. I do know of a few friends who are NRIs and have gone ahead and successfully applied for UIDs simply because it makes life easier - you won't have banks sending you emails telling you that they will cut off your account, you won't struggle to get yourself a SIM card when you travel to India. Probably lots of other things that become less bothersome. At least one of these friends owns property in India as well as a business or two.

dineshpandichellam

Post by dineshpandichellam » Thu, 02 Sep 2021 1:34 am

Thanks a lot for your input guys.. Yeah, I do have an AADHAAR card and will input the Aadhaar number in that particular field.