Singapore Expats

Alternatives for Rejected Employment Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Dashey24

Alternatives for Rejected Employment Pass

Post by Dashey24 » Mon, 30 Aug 2021 4:16 am

Hi everyone,

I am a Dependent Pass holder and my Employment Pass application got rejected recently. I would like to check if the following is allowed/legal?

The SG Company who applied the EP for me has a Company in China(Headquarters of the Company). Can I be placed on a Consultancy Agreement with the HQ and be paid by the HQ directly? My understanding is that a work pass is not required for Dependent Pass holders working remotely at home for overseas company that is not registered in Singapore. I just have to declare my income for tax purposes since I’m residing in Singapore. Is my understanding correct?
Thanks in advance!

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: Alternatives for Rejected Employment Pass

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 30 Aug 2021 7:24 am

Dashey24 wrote:
Mon, 30 Aug 2021 4:16 am
Hi everyone,

I am a Dependent Pass holder and my Employment Pass application got rejected recently. I would like to check if the following is allowed/legal?

The SG Company who applied the EP for me has a Company in China(Headquarters of the Company). Can I be placed on a Consultancy Agreement with the HQ and be paid by the HQ directly? My understanding is that a work pass is not required for Dependent Pass holders working remotely at home for overseas company that is not registered in Singapore. I just have to declare my income for tax purposes since I’m residing in Singapore. Is my understanding correct?
Thanks in advance!
Sorry, that's not how it works. The company in China and it has a registered company in Singapore. Because it has a registered company in Singapore, you cannot work for the parent company, you must work for the Singapore company.

You can only work for a foreign company without a work pass if the company has no legal presence in Singapore and does not provide goods or services in Singapore.