Singapore Expats

Applied for Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Nixxkita

Applied for Citizenship

Post by Nixxkita » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 6:39 am

I am born to brown, immigrant parents and raised in Singapore. I have done my PSLE and O level and diploma in Singapore but did my university abroad as I was not getting accepted in local unis. I got my PR i think late primary school years. My parents and I applied for citizenship together twice and both applications got rejected which was a disappointment.

This time round since I am above 21, I applied on new years 2021 and I am praying Id get it. I am coming back home to serve my tution bond of 3 years as I did my diploma. I was suppose to come back in July but COVID restrictions made it difficult and I did not want to travel till I was double jabbed.
I am still looking for a job as a science student (to be fair i just started applying)

I just wanted to know what are my odds of getting a citizenship here? I am worried that my tution bond might affect my chances 😐 I really have the desire to be called a citizen of a place I was born and raised at.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Applied for Citizenship

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:44 am

Are you African, Hispanic, Australian Abo? Maori from NZ? Pacific Islander? Hawaiian? Orang Asli?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Nixxkita

Post by Nixxkita » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 5:38 pm

Im indian

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 6:22 pm

Have you done your NS?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:53 pm

Nixxkita wrote:
Sun, 29 Aug 2021 5:38 pm
Im indian
Racial quota is pretty big for Indians as compared to other races, so that shouldn’t pose an issue.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:54 pm

You seem to stand a pretty fair chance. You’re young and educated, it also helps that you have been educated locally for the most part. If you’ve completed your NS as part of PR requirements, you should stand a pretty good chance this time around.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:36 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:53 pm
Nixxkita wrote:
Sun, 29 Aug 2021 5:38 pm
Im indian
Racial quota is pretty big for Indians as compared to other races, so that shouldn’t pose an issue.
Racial quota is pretty small for Indians, In fact it's the smallest quota with regard to the three main ethnic groups (CMIO Chinese, Malay, Indian, Others = C-75%, M-15%, I-8.5%, O-1.5% Quotas are based on the current ethnic demographics of Singapore's Citizenry.

Nixxkita

Post by Nixxkita » Thu, 02 Sep 2021 9:14 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:54 pm
You seem to stand a pretty fair chance. You’re young and educated, it also helps that you have been educated locally for the most part. If you’ve completed your NS as part of PR requirements, you should stand a pretty good chance this time around.
I am a female so i did not do NS!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Sep 2021 10:30 pm

Don't sound so shocked. Where did you indicate your gender? Most of our queries are usually based around the NS issue. I think you may have a problem as you will be applying for SGC as an adult. They may well want to see if you can continue to qualify as a PR first as an adult in your own right, and not on your parents coattails. So, frankly I don't think you will get SGC this time around until you qualify for PR on your own credentials first. I hope I'm wrong as it really doesn't seem fair, but they might use the reasoning that you did your schooling outside of Singapore while on PR as well but haven't qualified for PR as a adult as you don't have any relevant work experience (e.g., you bond which you mentioned). I wish you luck though. Oh, and be proud of your ethnicity. I've been married to one for 38 years. 8-)