Singapore Expats

How long does it take to apply credit card for new EP?

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
surgwide

Post by surgwide » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 11:46 pm

Like 3 months payroll?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: How long does it take to apply credit card for new EP?

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:29 pm

If you apply online, you can get approved almost instantly. The physical card will arrive in the mail a couple weeks later. Until then, you can just have the card loaded on your phone and pay digitally.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: How long does it take to apply credit card for new EP?

Post by malcontent » Wed, 01 Sep 2021 12:51 am

I didn’t get a credit card here for many years, mainly because the annual fee was off putting, and the rewards were also not very compelling. Eventually I realized that just about all of them will waive the annual fee, but you have to request it each year. I usually keep an eye on the expiry month of each card to ensure I don’t forget.

Nowadays rewards have improved, although they are often complicated, with a lot of hoops to jump through and limited by a myriad of earning caps, minimum spends and spend categories. Some cards change their rewards program frequently too, so it can be rather annoying.

For a new EP holder, it can be a challenge to get your first credit card here. I know one guy in our office, he was CFO to our VP and got rejected, despite earning well over 10x the minimum required salary. Generally you want to start with one of the 3 local banks, preferably the one where you have an account and deposit your salary.

No real hurry though, getting a credit card here is not that tantalizing. You can always get a debit card in the mean time. From what I have seen, most expats who only come here for a few years just stick with a debit card for local spend.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr