Singapore Expats

Does living near a good friend a bad idea?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Does living near a good friend a bad idea?

Post by abbby » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 2:36 pm

I have a friend who intends to buy a place near mine (same building). I do like the convenience but I find that sometimes being too close tends to sour a friendship easily? I mean..it's better to have some 'space' for ourselves. What are your thoughts?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Does living near a good friend a bad idea?

Post by smoulder » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 2:48 pm

Depends on what you consider as being too close - for me, things like borrowing money or purchasing a home together are examples of being too close. What you described sounds nice.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 8:38 am

It depends on your culture and your personality. I am from the Philippines and we are very neighborly. We tend to make friends with people who live close by.
A good friend who wants to move nearby is mostly welcome news to us. The key word is "good". A good friend will accept that sometimes you do not want company and sometimes you want to mingle with other friends.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:13 pm

bro75 wrote:
Mon, 23 Aug 2021 8:38 am
It depends on your culture and your personality. I am from the Philippines and we are very neighborly. We tend to make friends with people who live close by.
A good friend who wants to move nearby is mostly welcome news to us. The key word is "good". A good friend will accept that sometimes you do not want company and sometimes you want to mingle with other friends.
Great point. A good friend understands that sometimes you need space, and knows where to draw the line.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:14 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 2:36 pm
I have a friend who intends to buy a place near mine (same building). I do like the convenience but I find that sometimes being too close tends to sour a friendship easily? I mean..it's better to have some 'space' for ourselves. What are your thoughts?
Valid point about being too close for comfort, however if it was a close friend I would welcome the move. It would be nice to have a friend within reach at all times, you never know when you might need each other.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 10:21 am

We moved into the same block as my wife’s cousin. It’s nice. Close by when you feel like being social but an unspoken understanding not to impose on one another.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 2:01 am

Having someone you know nearby can never be a bad thing, when I was younger, all I wanted was to be neighbors with my best friend. And you’re spot on, nothing wrong with being close by but just need to be aware of boundaries.