Does living near a good friend a bad idea?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Editor
Editor
Answers: 1

Does living near a good friend a bad idea?

Post by abbby » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 2:36 pm

I have a friend who intends to buy a place near mine (same building). I do like the convenience but I find that sometimes being too close tends to sour a friendship easily? I mean..it's better to have some 'space' for ourselves. What are your thoughts?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

smoulder
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Does living near a good friend a bad idea?

Post by smoulder » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 2:48 pm

Depends on what you consider as being too close - for me, things like borrowing money or purchasing a home together are examples of being too close. What you described sounds nice.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 8:38 am

It depends on your culture and your personality. I am from the Philippines and we are very neighborly. We tend to make friends with people who live close by.
A good friend who wants to move nearby is mostly welcome news to us. The key word is "good". A good friend will accept that sometimes you do not want company and sometimes you want to mingle with other friends.

Lisafuller
Editor
Editor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:13 pm

bro75 wrote:
Mon, 23 Aug 2021 8:38 am
It depends on your culture and your personality. I am from the Philippines and we are very neighborly. We tend to make friends with people who live close by.
A good friend who wants to move nearby is mostly welcome news to us. The key word is "good". A good friend will accept that sometimes you do not want company and sometimes you want to mingle with other friends.
Great point. A good friend understands that sometimes you need space, and knows where to draw the line.

Lisafuller
Editor
Editor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:14 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 2:36 pm
I have a friend who intends to buy a place near mine (same building). I do like the convenience but I find that sometimes being too close tends to sour a friendship easily? I mean..it's better to have some 'space' for ourselves. What are your thoughts?
Valid point about being too close for comfort, however if it was a close friend I would welcome the move. It would be nice to have a friend within reach at all times, you never know when you might need each other.