Singapore Expats

Grilling on my Balcony

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
shiroiinu18

Grilling on my Balcony

Post by shiroiinu18 » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 9:12 am

I just moved to Singapore and into my new flat, so I'm not completely clear on what I can / cannot get away with here and certainly don't want to be deported over stupid stuff.

I got permission from my landlord to have a BBQ on my balcony. I live on the top floor of my condo, and I've grilled a whole ONE time since moving in 3 weeks ago. Already, a neighbor has complained to the management company that the grill smoke and smell bothered them, and the management company posted a notice by the elevator citing the date and time (basically coincides with when I grilled), and that grills are NOT allowed on the balcony.

Firstly - who has precedence here? The landlord or the building management re: having the grill in the first place?

Secondly - is there a reason people are so uptight? I can literally smell people's cooking every single day, yet one day of a BBQ bothers them?

My options:

1. Ignore the notice until someone contacts me directly

2. Write a passive aggressive note back to the management company, stating I have my landlords permission

3. Sell the grill

4. Try to hide the grill on my upstairs patio, which is much more private and less likely to bother anyone

Thoughts? Again, not looking to get deported or in trouble over a grill - but a bit irritated that THIS is a problem for people.

Search By

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Grilling on my Balcony

Post by abbby » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:11 am

I would think the MCST would have precedence on this. Do you have a copy of the by-laws of the condo perhaps you can check to see if there's any rules about bbq ?

I am surprised they could complain since you are on the top floor and the smell would usually whiff away.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

shiroiinu18

Post by shiroiinu18 » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:27 am

abbby wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:11 am
I would think the MCST would have precedence on this. Do you have a copy of the by-laws of the condo perhaps you can check to see if there's any rules about bbq ?

I am surprised they could complain since you are on the top floor and the smell would usually whiff away.
Thanks for the feedback - I don't have a copy of the by-laws but I'll ask my landlord about this. Yeah, I'm also surprised people would complain - seems so petty!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:32 am

Yep MC rules would take precedence. You might want to ask what those rules are - most likely they didn't make one up on the spot, but probably good to check first.

I'm guessing that the MC might talk about either fire hazards or the fact that the condo has a designated BBQ pit (I'm guessing that's the case here?).

You will be surprised kind of small things tick people off here.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:29 am

You’d have to check with the management and obtain explicit permission. Until then, I’d go with option 4.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:30 am

shiroiinu18 wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:27 am
abbby wrote:

Thanks for the feedback - I don't have a copy of the by-laws but I'll ask my landlord about this. Yeah, I'm also surprised people would complain - seems so petty!
You should be able to request a physical copy or obtain a soft copy fairly easily, especially if your condo uses an app like iCondo (all the relevant documents should be in the app).

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 20 Aug 2021 8:51 pm

shiroiinu18 wrote:
abbby wrote:

Complaining is almost a national pastime here! Some neighbors are worse than others. I’ve got a few neighbors who suffers from misophonia (at least that is my diagnosis) and any little noise will set them off. I really want to tell them that they need to find another country to live in - - they are just not cut out for high density living. Not that I particularly like high density living myself, but at least I have come to accept my fate.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 21 Aug 2021 8:08 am

abbby wrote:

This would very much depend on what is the top floor. If this is an open sky facing terrace then there should be no issue, but if this is just a balcony on a top floor, well, it's a completely different case.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:17 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 20 Aug 2021 8:51 pm
shiroiinu18 wrote:
abbby wrote:

Complaining is almost a national pastime here! Some neighbors are worse than others. I’ve got a few neighbors who suffers from misophonia (at least that is my diagnosis) and any little noise will set them off. I really want to tell them that they need to find another country to live in - - they are just not cut out for high density living. Not that I particularly like high density living myself, but at least I have come to accept my fate.
Well put. Choosing to live anywhere means accepting both the good AND the bad. Due to land scarcity, unfortunately, noise and disturbances that come with high-density living are commonplace.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:18 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 21 Aug 2021 8:08 am
abbby wrote:

This would very much depend on what is the top floor. If this is an open sky facing terrace then there should be no issue, but if this is just a balcony on a top floor, well, it's a completely different case.
Why would it be any different? Hot air travels upward, I would think that being on the top floor would mean the smoke would not be an issue to anyone else, but clearly that is not the case for OP.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 2:48 pm

I guess drafts of air can still push the smoke downwards or sideways as well... Regardless, if they have a rule permiting bbq on the balcony, then it does not matter which way smoke goes. However, on the other hand, if they have a rule which says otherwise, then probably better to just comply.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 5:02 pm

Yes, the drift can suck everything inside to the adjacent apartments. I had this doubtful pleasure of having such bbqing neighbours. When they did it on their balcony all the smoke went to our place. I guess they must have closed their balcony door for obvious reasons. They bbqed once every few months so I didn't feel like complaining.
I am living right now on the top floor but no roof terrace and I would never bbq - I am very sure all the smoke would go to the common corridors and the neighbours.

On the open, roof terrace is a different story because there is no such air pressure difference between the sides of the building.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:12 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 23 Aug 2021 2:48 pm
I guess drafts of air can still push the smoke downwards or sideways as well... Regardless, if they have a rule permiting bbq on the balcony, then it does not matter which way smoke goes. However, on the other hand, if they have a rule which says otherwise, then probably better to just comply.
True, weather and nature in general are unpredictable.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:13 am

x9200 wrote:
Mon, 23 Aug 2021 5:02 pm
Yes, the drift can suck everything inside to the adjacent apartments. I had this doubtful pleasure of having such bbqing neighbours. When they did it on their balcony all the smoke went to our place. I guess they must have closed their balcony door for obvious reasons. They bbqed once every few months so I didn't feel like complaining.
I am living right now on the top floor but no roof terrace and I would never bbq - I am very sure all the smoke would go to the common corridors and the neighbours.

On the open, roof terrace is a different story because there is no such air pressure difference between the sides of the building.
Nice of you to be so understanding, we all need to exercise a bit of tolerance if we want to get along harmoniously.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 9:27 am

Is it a gas or charcoal BBQ? If charcoal, I would think the fire safety etc rules might easily ban it.
And as said by others if it is specifically banned in condo bylaws then it's a quote clear case. On a sidenote to that many condoes have such silly bylaws that everybody breaks them.

If it's a gas one, and not specifically banned in bylaws, I would probably ignore it and continue cooking. I've been BBQing on condo ground floor terrace for last 10 years or more and especially now when due to covid condo BBQ pits have been closed. Never asked for a specific permission as knowing the MA they would always say no just in case.