Singapore Expats

Grilling on my Balcony

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
shiroiinu18

Re: Grilling on my Balcony

Post by shiroiinu18 » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:30 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Wed, 25 Aug 2021 9:27 am
Is it a gas or charcoal BBQ? If charcoal, I would think the fire safety etc rules might easily ban it.
And as said by others if it is specifically banned in condo bylaws then it's a quote clear case. On a sidenote to that many condoes have such silly bylaws that everybody breaks them.

If it's a gas one, and not specifically banned in bylaws, I would probably ignore it and continue cooking. I've been BBQing on condo ground floor terrace for last 10 years or more and especially now when due to covid condo BBQ pits have been closed. Never asked for a specific permission as knowing the MA they would always say no just in case.
It's gas, and I'm still waiting on the condo by-laws to confirm what the deal is. My landlord said she BBQed in the same place for 3 years with no issue - so I wonder why now this is a problem?? In any case, I'd be glad to move the grill so it doesn't bother anyone, I just wish people would have a conversation with me first before filing a complaint!

Search By

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:49 am

shiroiinu18 wrote:
Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:30 am
Is it a gas or charcoal BBQ? If charcoal, I would think the fire safety etc rules might easily ban it.
And as said by others if it is specifically banned in condo bylaws then it's a quote clear case. On a sidenote to that many condoes have such silly bylaws that everybody breaks them.

If it's a gas one, and not specifically banned in bylaws, I would probably ignore it and continue cooking. I've been BBQing on condo ground floor terrace for last 10 years or more and especially now when due to covid condo BBQ pits have been closed. Never asked for a specific permission as knowing the MA they would always say no just in case.
It's gas, and I'm still waiting on the condo by-laws to confirm what the deal is. My landlord said she BBQed in the same place for 3 years with no issue - so I wonder why now this is a problem?? In any case, I'd be glad to move the grill so it doesn't bother anyone, I just wish people would have a conversation with me first before filing a complaint!
Very good chance that it's not in the by-laws specifically banned. If that is the case, with your landlord's support, in your case I would continue BBQing.

A common practice is not to confront anyone but rather call the MA or security to complain about smallest things that could be solved without unnecessary escalations.

Got a few of those neighbors that would never raise an issue directly but call and escalate smallest things in the neighborhood to MA and bring up crazy threats at their angry moments if it's not solved like they want. And because of that the MA is kind of forced to react way or another. Didn't know all the crazy background complaints before joined the condo MC.

shiroiinu18

Post by shiroiinu18 » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:55 am

Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:49 am
shiroiinu18 wrote:

Very good chance that it's not in the by-laws specifically banned. If that is the case, with your landlord's support, in your case I would continue BBQing.

A common practice is not to confront anyone but rather call the MA or security to complain about smallest things that could be solved without unnecessary escalations.

Got a few of those neighbors that would never raise an issue directly but call and escalate smallest things in the neighborhood to MA and bring up crazy threats at their angry moments if it's not solved like they want. And because of that the MA is kind of forced to react way or another. Didn't know all the crazy background complaints before joined the condo MC.
hahah yeah - feels like people here are quite bored or very comfortable and therefore complain and make a big deal about anything!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:58 am

shiroiinu18 wrote:

I believe one reason people here prefer to just go directly to the MA rather than speak to the neighbor first is because they fear that the neighbor will become defensive and make a scene. Which unfortunately does happen, including when they send the security folks over to do a spot check.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 11:26 am

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:58 am
shiroiinu18 wrote:

I believe one reason people here prefer to just go directly to the MA rather than speak to the neighbor first is because they fear that the neighbor will become defensive and make a scene. Which unfortunately does happen, including when they send the security folks over to do a spot check.
Yes, so they ask poorly paid security guards to do the normal conversation with your neighbours.
But that's what I meant by not confronting anyone.

People are also more likely to react strongly to security coming to complain than a neighbor, as it seems more formal complaint and of course the attitude that security guards are lower class, it's easier to shout at them.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:33 pm

Smart. They can’t say no if you never ask.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:34 pm

smoulder wrote:
shiroiinu18 wrote:

Exactly. People here tend to be incredibly opinionated but very non-confrontational, if they have a problem they will be sure to voice it but will cower behind the security guards who they send to do their dirty work.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:36 pm

shiroiinu18 wrote:

Unfortunately, that’s not really the culture here. If you do know who the neighbors are, why not go and have a chat with them in person? After putting a face to the name they’ll be much less likely to have an issue with you and will probably be more understanding.
Last edited by Lisafuller on Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:37 pm

Wed, 25 Aug 2021 11:26 am
smoulder wrote:

Yes, so they ask poorly paid security guards to do the normal conversation with your neighbours.
But that's what I meant by not confronting anyone.

People are also more likely to react strongly to security coming to complain than a neighbor, as it seems more formal complaint and of course the attitude that security guards are lower class, it's easier to shout at them.
True that the security guards involvement makes the complaint more official but personally I would prefer for my neighbor to just come and have a word with me in person. That way we can both understand each other’s concerns better and reach a mutual understanding.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:13 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:37 pm
True that the security guards involvement makes the complaint more official but personally I would prefer for my neighbor to just come and have a word with me in person. That way we can both understand each other’s concerns better and reach a mutual understanding.
This, assuming the complaining party comes over with calm, peaceful and understanding attitude :-)

shiroiinu18

Post by shiroiinu18 » Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:30 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:36 pm
shiroiinu18 wrote:

Unfortunately, that’s not really the culture here. If you do know who the neighbors are, why not go and have a chat with them in person? After putting a face to the name they’ll be much less likely to have an issue with you and will probably be more understanding.
I'd love to be able to have a discussion with whoever it was that complained, but unfortunately don't know who it was. This is why I had the thought of writing on top of the notice in the lobby - "Come join us for some grilled veg next time instead of complaining!" - but I suppose that would cause more problems :D