Singapore Expats

Resigning immediately after completion of formalities for PR

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
0xnema80

Resigning immediately after completion of formalities for PR

Post by 0xnema80 » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 6:03 am

Hi all,

I recently completed my formalities for the PR application yesterday but haven’t received my blue IC. At the same time I received a job offer from another company. What will happen if I quit my current job now to accept the offer? Will I be issued any form of letter or permit while waiting for my blue IC?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Resigning immediately after completion of formalities for PR

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 2:43 pm

0xnema80 wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 6:03 am
Hi all,

I recently completed my formalities for the PR application yesterday but haven’t received my blue IC. At the same time I received a job offer from another company. What will happen if I quit my current job now to accept the offer? Will I be issued any form of letter or permit while waiting for my blue IC?
Should not be an issue. But, your current employer may feel a bit sad. You must have received an Entry Permit when you completed the formalities?

novaandbong

Post by novaandbong » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 8:43 pm

Hi I’m in the same position as you. Just completed my formalities and I’ll be joining a new company next week as PR. My current approved EP application is nullified one day after my NRIC number is issued.

As long as you have your NRIC number you can join the other company without needing the EP. the blue card is just formality and you will get it in a week anyway.
0xnema80 wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 6:03 am
Hi all,

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:29 pm

The bad part of this is the signal you are sending to you new employer. You are as much as telling them that you are not a loyal type of employee and will probably try to screw over them at some point. Why? you ask? Well, your old employer hired you, invested in you, even helped you to get your PR. What did you do for them? Screwed them of their investment as soon as you got your PR. That's why so many employers hate to fill out Annex A cause they know there is a good chance the employee will bolt as soon or within 3 months of getting PR. I know. I've filled out numerous Annex A's over the last 25 years and roughly 30% are gone within 3 months after getting their blue IC. But for new employees I hired, if PRs, I always check when they got their PR and how soon they left the employer who sponsored them. Had a large bearing on my final decision. No worries now, as I'm retired, but hopefully HR Mgrs are learning to check this out.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

0xnema80

Post by 0xnema80 » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:39 pm

Thanks all for the reply. The reason I am finding another job was because my current salary does not meet the EP salary requirement, hence before my PR was approved I was rushing to secure another job. Just so happen that the job offer coincided with the PR approval which puts me in this tight spot now.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 6:17 pm

Your PR was approved based on the salary you were earning at the time of your application date. Anything subsequent is immaterial. Don't you think they know when the EP salary requirement change?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

novaandbong

Post by novaandbong » Tue, 24 Aug 2021 5:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:29 pm
The bad part of this is the signal you are sending to you new employer. You are as much as telling them that you are not a loyal type of employee and will probably try to screw over them at some point. Why? you ask? Well, your old employer hired you, invested in you, even helped you to get your PR. What did you do for them? Screwed them of their investment as soon as you got your PR. That's why so many employers hate to fill out Annex A cause they know there is a good chance the employee will bolt as soon or within 3 months of getting PR. I know. I've filled out numerous Annex A's over the last 25 years and roughly 30% are gone within 3 months after getting their blue IC. But for new employees I hired, if PRs, I always check when they got their PR and how soon they left the employer who sponsored them. Had a large bearing on my final decision. No worries now, as I'm retired, but hopefully HR Mgrs are learning to check this out.
This is an interesting take, I never see from this angle. I actually quit my current job 2 weeks before I got my PR (my new EP application was approved), because the company is just exploiting people. Even as a foreigner then, I decided it was not worth my skill sets so I got a better job at a better company and hope to stay there for a long time. I feel like it takes 2 hands to clap - if the company wants the employees to be loyal they should treat the employees better. Nobody wants to leave because changing is tough, especially as foreigners, but it was a calculated risks vs rewards and long term career development.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Aug 2021 6:18 pm

Just hope it doesn't come back to bite you in the butt. As for it being an interesting take, you have to admit, as an HR manager, it's a valid concern. And yes I will also agree, employers can be users as well. So it often depends on if new employers take the time to vet potential new employees. I know most do not here, but there are those like me around who spread the word. Another habit I had was checking all foreign employees (EP/S/WP) once a month by have my HR exec. do an MOM search for all employees who had FIN numbers to see if there were any outstanding applications or approvals. Won't tell us who the employer is, but will tell us who is looking to leave and then if there is a turndown, we know who to let go as they want to leave anyway. :-k :cool: