Singapore Expats

6th person died from Covid19 in one month

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: 6th person died from Covid19 in one month

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:24 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 3:41 am
x9200 wrote:
Sat, 21 Aug 2021 8:28 am
Addadude wrote:
Fri, 20 Aug 2021 4:48 pm
I have gotten to the stage where I think people who refuse to be vaccinated (note - NOT people who are unable to be vaccinated), should be refused hospitalisation if they contract COVID-19. Let them rely on their God-given rights and natural immunity to keep them alive.
They should not be refused the hospitalization, but the insurance providers should refuse to cover the bills. And they may have the case, as IMHO this already crosses the line of acting with due diligence or acting the way not to cause/aggravate harm or injury.
The only problem, of course, is that now you have unvaccinated clowns ending up in the hospital who can't pay their bills.

In the USA, most of these people are also opposed to Obamacare, so, except that I do actually have a few compassionate bones in my body, I'd simply deny them hospitalization. If god is going to protect you from Covid, god can also heal you at home.

There is always a turd in the punchbowl... and in this case, it is these socially irresponsible anti-vaxxers.
Well put, and these same selfish fools are the ones occupying a space that could go to some unfortunate soul that took all precautions to keep himself and others safe.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:00 pm

Possibly never ending, given that vaccines will never stop at 2 shots, with boosters required every year or every other.

Israel being the litmus test, started shots in Dec 20.
Signs are pointing to its waning immunity against new variants, and there always will be new ones given its mutating nature.

And life has to go on, and so, some unlucky few will undoubtedly have to pay the price, vaccinated, or not.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 2:14 am

the observer wrote:
Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:00 pm
Possibly never ending, given that vaccines will never stop at 2 shots, with boosters required every year or every other.

Signs are pointing to its waning immunity against new variants, and there always will be new ones given its mutating nature.

And life has to go on, and so, some unlucky few will undoubtedly have to pay the price, vaccinated, or not.
Just like the flu shots. It's a result of global travel and habitat destruction, placing wild animals in closer contact with humans all over the globe.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 6:07 am

And just like Yellow Fever shots, this will trigger more vaccine cert forgeries and thefts of real certs. The black market will step in to make money here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:18 pm

the observer wrote:
Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:00 pm

Yes, seems as though this will be our new reality. Booster shots every 6-12 months, safe distancing measures, travel restrictions will be part of our new normal.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:19 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 6:07 am

And just like Yellow Fever shots, this will trigger more vaccine cert forgeries and thefts of real certs. The black market will step in to make money here.

Goodness, is there a way to prevent forgery? Maybe just like birth certificates they can have certified original copies. Even so, perhaps scammers will be able to falsify those.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 27 Aug 2021 8:59 am

Asking for certified original copies, would be equally useless, extra trouble and some more business for forgeries.

I always wondered why in advanced countries like Singapore they still ask birth certificates or vaccination certificates in school. I mean the paper based document. It's simply put stupid and waste of time, as all that information for locals exists in government information systems, but no let's not go there, but ask parents to bring some silly print outs, which if one wanted would be so easy to fake.

Why even bother to build the electric immunization registry if it is not used.

sp786
Regular
Regular

Post by sp786 » Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:06 am

Time for booster shot already.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Aug 2021 11:46 am

I'm overdue for a booster shot. I was cleared 30 March (Pfizer). In 5 days it will be 5 full months since my 2nd Jab +2 wks.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 2:26 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Fri, 27 Aug 2021 8:59 am
Asking for certified original copies, would be equally useless, extra trouble and some more business for forgeries.

I always wondered why in advanced countries like Singapore they still ask birth certificates or vaccination certificates in school. I mean the paper based document. It's simply put stupid and waste of time, as all that information for locals exists in government information systems, but no let's not go there, but ask parents to bring some silly print outs, which if one wanted would be so easy to fake.

Why even bother to build the electric immunization registry if it is not used.
True, paper is becoming obsolete anyway and the documents would be too easy to forge. An electronic record would be much more convenient and sensible.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 2:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 27 Aug 2021 11:46 am
I'm overdue for a booster shot. I was cleared 30 March (Pfizer). In 5 days it will be 5 full months since my 2nd Jab +2 wks.
I haven’t heard anything about a booster shot program though, how do you know you were overdue? Has the government reached out?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:12 pm

After 6 months the efficacy percentage is down to 84% for Pfizer. I'm speaking of protection against initial variants and the info coming out of Israel with regard to the Delta Variant is that Pfizer is only 39% effective. Obviously Delta and the various vaccines need a lot more study but seniors cannot afford too wait until they become statistics. I personally am not worried too much, but my wife is in poor health to start with. They are only talking about a booster program possibly in January.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-vac ... 1627508816

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/delta-v ... lness.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 10:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:12 pm
After 6 months the efficacy percentage is down to 84% for Pfizer. I'm speaking of protection against initial variants and the info coming out of Israel with regard to the Delta Variant is that Pfizer is only 39% effective. Obviously Delta and the various vaccines need a lot more study but seniors cannot afford too wait until they become statistics. I personally am not worried too much, but my wife is in poor health to start with. They are only talking about a booster program possibly in January.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-vac ... 1627508816

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/delta-v ... lness.html
As new variants emerge which the vaccine is not effective against you can expect efficacy to decrease. However, that seems like nearly a 10% drop from the 95% that I remember being at. Seems a bit much, no?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Sep 2021 11:15 am

As the articles mentioned, there is some discrepancies with the Israeli findings, but given the fact that they have had the longest track records with massive vaccination programs and boosters I'm inclined to think that they just might have a little more 'on the ground' statistics that would possibly be more accurate than a laboratory 'projection'. I don't know. I'll let BBCDoc handle it from here.......

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 01 Sep 2021 10:13 pm

Israel indeed has the most interesting data since they embarked on population vaccination before others.

At the moment, latest data shows:
1. Elderly people (80+) Mount a significantly weaker response after 1 dose of mRNA vaccine compare to younger people. 2 doses are necessary for protection.
2. Most recently, Israelis vaccinated in Jan 2021 are more likely to suffer hospitalisation compared to those completing vaccination in March 2021, thus showing reduced protection over time.
3. Israelis receiving a 3rd mRNA booster may have up to 10x greater protection than those with only 2x shots.

The immune response varies between individuals and population groups/races. Think of vaccination like building a car - you send the same instructions to Japanese and Malaysian factories, you are going to end up with different cars.

Thus, you will see variation in response efficacy depending where you look. Some car building instructions are better than others….

There's always room for one more