Singapore Expats

Singapore history

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Singapore history

Post by abbby » Wed, 11 Aug 2021 1:09 pm

A really interesting read about Singapore in the past. I didn't know about some of their history as well..

https://thesmartlocal.com/read/neighbou ... singapore/
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Singapore history

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:40 pm

Interesting to see that Choa Chu Kang was once home to a family of wild tigers. Now, you won’t see anything more than a stray cat, although I guess that’s for the better.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 10:54 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:40 pm
Interesting to see that Choa Chu Kang was once home to a family of wild tigers. Now, you won’t see anything more than a stray cat, although I guess that’s for the better.
I'm not so sure..... I think I would rather hear the roar of the big cats and knowing there won't be bad guys roaming around the neighourhood and making noises in the void decks all night. There also wouldn't cat ladies leaving bowls of stinking cat food everywhere and there wouldn't be any caterwauling of house cats in heat getting hit on by a big old Tom cat under the grating of the storm drains where she cannot run. :mrgreen: :lol: :x
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 27 Aug 2021 9:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 10:54 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
I'm not so sure..... I think I would rather hear the roar of the big cats and knowing there won't be bad guys roaming around the neighourhood and making noises in the void decks all night. There also wouldn't cat ladies leaving bowls of stinking cat food everywhere and there wouldn't be any caterwauling of house cats in heat getting hit on by a big old Tom cat under the grating of the storm drains where she cannot run. :mrgreen: :lol: :x
Come on SMS, don't you have a heart for those sweet community cats along HDB void decks?

My daughter loves then, and feeds them with cat snacks on her way to school. A future cat lady coming up, and she's made a friends with the cat ladies and uncles in the hoods.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Aug 2021 11:52 am

My 14 year old grand-niece has the same penchant. I don't really mind them but when they go into heat and the Toms get randy I could kill all of them. In fact, my g-niece ends up with them following her back to our house (she's lived with me since she was 1 year old). I've told here time and time again if I catch one in the house, I'm going to give it a free flight to the void deck via drop-kick. But yes, I did have a little old calico and a big black collie/GS mix when I bought the flat 21 years ago. :wink: :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Fri, 27 Aug 2021 1:26 pm

I'm no cat lover too...I hate it when they roam into my house..they should be leashed too.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:26 pm

In our neighborhood, we live trap the feral cats and have them fixed. Then released back into the neighborhood where several folks like to feed them. Getting them fixed has significantly reduced the population.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 2:14 am

abbby wrote:
Fri, 27 Aug 2021 1:26 pm
I'm no cat lover too...I hate it when they roam into my house..they should be leashed too.
Interestingly enough, cats are actually illegal in HDBs. It’s just that no one enforces this rule, to the point where I would say cats are the most common household pets in HDBs.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 2:15 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:26 pm
In our neighborhood, we live trap the feral cats and have them fixed. Then released back into the neighborhood where several folks like to feed them. Getting them fixed has significantly reduced the population.
They do that in most neighborhoods now just to control the feline population and to prevent the spread of diseases. A really good initiative.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 2:17 am

Fri, 27 Aug 2021 11:52 am
My 14 year old grand-niece has the same penchant. I don't really mind them but when they go into heat and the Toms get randy I could kill all of them. In fact, my g-niece ends up with them following her back to our house (she's lived with me since she was 1 year old). I've told here time and time again if I catch one in the house, I'm going to give it a free flight to the void deck via drop-kick. But yes, I did have a little old calico and a big black collie/GS mix when I bought the flat 21 years ago. :wink: :cool:
LOL! I hope you’re not serious about the dropkick. I don’t know if I should be more worried for the cat or your back. I’m not too big on cats either, I’ve always been a little afraid of them because my mother had a huge cat phobia which rubbed off on me since going. I still enjoy seeing and appreciating them from far though.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 2:18 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Fri, 27 Aug 2021 9:04 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Come on SMS, don't you have a heart for those sweet community cats along HDB void decks?

My daughter loves then, and feeds them with cat snacks on her way to school. A future cat lady coming up, and she's made a friends with the cat ladies and uncles in the hoods.
My daughter does the same thing. We have a dog but every time we go to the pet store to get food for him she also insists that we get a couple tins of cat food and a bag of cat treats. We live in a condo so there aren’t any feral cats per se, but there are quite a few cats whose owners allow them to roam around the complex. No one seems to mind because they are very well behaved and keep to themselves but my daughter loves them.

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Wed, 01 Sep 2021 6:05 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Fri, 27 Aug 2021 9:04 am
Lisafuller wrote:

If you are into feeding cats, please make sure to clean up after the feeding. If not, the rats and pigeons will thrive.