Singapore Expats

Children mental health and physical health

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Children mental health and physical health

Post by malcontent » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:33 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:40 am
abbby wrote:
Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:42 am
I would think around 12-13 years old, closer to puberty. Every parent would probably a different recommended age to explain the birds and the bees.
Anytime from 9-11 for girls, as they hit puberty much earlier than boys.
This is true, but I’d also like to believe girls have less “drive” to worry about… the bigger worry is external (i.e. boys trying to get in their pants). That’s probably the most important topic to cover with girls.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:56 pm

Clarayj89 wrote:
Wed, 04 Aug 2021 12:01 pm
Hello everyone, first time mother here. My child is turning 4 this year. When is a good time is to begin talking about sex ed? I recently read an article that says children start exploring their own bodies by the age of 4. Anyone has experience or resources to share? Appreciate it alot. Thank you.

(p.s. im having some difficulties navigating this forum.. couldnt find any other threads talking about children physical health or education. sorry if its not the most relevant :???: )
I would suggest you find out what they will be or are being taught in school. Both local and International Schools start at a very early age and cover this each year… with supposedly age appropriate content by grade level. Local schools ask for signed parental consent before your kid can attend the class, but I think it would make a child feel weird if they had to sit it out. At International School, they will typically just communicate something like a “you’ve been warned” type of letter prior to the class, allowing you to contact them if you have concerns.

The only problem I have with such education in schools is when they introduce some kind of judgement about what is acceptable or okay. Some far-left liberal movements in certain Western countries have been pushing their fringe ideologies into schools and this has resulted in lawsuits by parents. Not sure why, but in some places it has almost gotten to the point that they are seen to be encouraging promiscuity and non-traditional sexual relationships. It’s just bizarre.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 19 Aug 2021 1:27 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:56 am
malcontent wrote:
Wed, 18 Aug 2021 8:26 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 16 Aug 2021 7:35 pm
IF the parents are intelligent enough to realize there are NOT 7,387 different genders!
I really wonder who had the bright idea to say “I identify as…” with no regard for what you really are. Maybe there are some people who are still riding on that crazy train, but even many on the far left secretly acknowledge what a joke that statement is.
I believe its possible for someone to feel like they don’t belong to either gender, or to feel like they belong to either one on different days. However, there have been more and more “neo-pronouns” emerging- people (mostly the younger crowd) identifying as “kitten” or even “God”. I respect pronouns, but these seem like they’ve gone overboard.
Feeling like something doesn’t mean you should identify as it… e.g. some days I feel like crap! :lol:

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:17 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 1:27 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:56 am
malcontent wrote:
Wed, 18 Aug 2021 8:26 pm

I really wonder who had the bright idea to say “I identify as…” with no regard for what you really are. Maybe there are some people who are still riding on that crazy train, but even many on the far left secretly acknowledge what a joke that statement is.
I believe its possible for someone to feel like they don’t belong to either gender, or to feel like they belong to either one on different days. However, there have been more and more “neo-pronouns” emerging- people (mostly the younger crowd) identifying as “kitten” or even “God”. I respect pronouns, but these seem like they’ve gone overboard.
Feeling like something doesn’t mean you should identify as it… e.g. some days I feel like crap! :lol:
You must know that that’s not nearly the same thing, it’s difficult for any of us to understand since we’ve never been in such a position. At the very least, I’m sure if I was in that position, I would want respect, if support was not possible.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:18 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:33 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:40 am
abbby wrote:
Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:42 am
I would think around 12-13 years old, closer to puberty. Every parent would probably a different recommended age to explain the birds and the bees.
Anytime from 9-11 for girls, as they hit puberty much earlier than boys.
This is true, but I’d also like to believe girls have less “drive” to worry about… the bigger worry is external (i.e. boys trying to get in their pants). That’s probably the most important topic to cover with girls.
Good point, educating girls about potential threats and risks is just as important as the biological aspect of education.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:20 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:56 pm
Clarayj89 wrote:
Wed, 04 Aug 2021 12:01 pm
Hello everyone, first time mother here. My child is turning 4 this year. When is a good time is to begin talking about sex ed? I recently read an article that says children start exploring their own bodies by the age of 4. Anyone has experience or resources to share? Appreciate it alot. Thank you.

(p.s. im having some difficulties navigating this forum.. couldnt find any other threads talking about children physical health or education. sorry if its not the most relevant :???: )
I would suggest you find out what they will be or are being taught in school. Both local and International Schools start at a very early age and cover this each year… with supposedly age appropriate content by grade level. Local schools ask for signed parental consent before your kid can attend the class, but I think it would make a child feel weird if they had to sit it out. At International School, they will typically just communicate something like a “you’ve been warned” type of letter prior to the class, allowing you to contact them if you have concerns.

The only problem I have with such education in schools is when they introduce some kind of judgement about what is acceptable or okay. Some far-left liberal movements in certain Western countries have been pushing their fringe ideologies into schools and this has resulted in lawsuits by parents. Not sure why, but in some places it has almost gotten to the point that they are seen to be encouraging promiscuity and non-traditional sexual relationships. It’s just bizarre.
I don’t think they are encouraging non-traditional sexual relationships, it’s more about increasing exposure and encouraging openness and acceptance.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:37 am

Here is my take… I recognize that it might be out of step with what is current or popular, but I feel there are also many silent, uncounted voices on this issue.

Exposure:

Increasing exposure is a proven way to encourage behavior. For example, kids who are exposed to more violence on TV have been proven to be more violent themselves. That said, I’m not opposed to the appropriate amount of education at the right age provided it is factual and not trying to impart right from wrong.

Acceptance:

As far as acceptance goes, we should love and accept everyone for who they are… but that does not mean we must accept what they do. If anyone says we should accept what they do, that is crossing the line. Many people, even Christians, do not realize what the Bible states clearly — the deed itself is a sin, punishable by death. For my kids I keep it real simple: love the sinner, hate the sin.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 8:35 am

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:37 am
Here is my take… I recognize that it might be out of step with what is current or popular, but I feel there are also many silent, uncounted voices on this issue.

Exposure:

Increasing exposure is a proven way to encourage behavior. For example, kids who are exposed to more violence on TV have been proven to be more violent themselves. That said, I’m not opposed to the appropriate amount of education at the right age provided it is factual and not trying to impart right from wrong.

Acceptance:

As far as acceptance goes, we should love and accept everyone for who they are… but that does not mean we must accept what they do. If anyone says we should accept what they do, that is crossing the line. Many people, even Christians, do not realize what the Bible states clearly — the deed itself is a sin, punishable by death. For my kids I keep it real simple: love the sinner, hate the sin.
Fair enough. I’m pretty sure turn point is just to be more progressive, so the kids don’t grow up with the same biases and holding the same close minded attitudes as their grandparents did.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:06 am

Lisa, your response shows that you are moderate in your views, because there are many who call themselves progressives that would rip me apart for my view!

Care to debate the morality of abortion?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Aug 2021 2:14 pm

:mrgreen: :cool:
read-comments-michael-jackson.gif
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 2:20 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:06 am
Lisa, your response shows that you are moderate in your views, because there are many who call themselves progressives that would rip me apart for my view!

Care to debate who should have ultimate control over one's human body... the individual owning the body or the government?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:24 pm

malcontent wrote:

Part of being a sane and mature adult is learning to accept different points of view. Tearing you down would be pointless, I’d much rather have an open dialogue. My views on abortion? A fetus is not a human being but rather one in the making, and should never be valued over the mother. Abortions should be accessible, because they will be carried out whether or not the government allows it, it’s just a matter of whether or not it will be safe and professionally done. I’m not a huge fan of the idea, I believe that it’s more important to promote contraception, to correct the problem from its root.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 25 Aug 2021 2:14 pm
:mrgreen: :cool: read-comments-michael-jackson.gif
Hahaha :lol: [-X

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:27 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 2:20 am
malcontent wrote:

Care to debate who should have ultimate control over one's human body... the individual owning the body or the government?
Unquestionably the individual. Notice how most lawmakers and politicians against abortion are also privileged men, who not only will never have to worry about getting pregnant themselves, but also would be able to support a child comfortably if their spouse was to get pregnant unexpectedly.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 11:54 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:24 pm
Part of being a sane and mature adult is learning to accept different points of view. Tearing you down would be pointless, I’d much rather have an open dialogue. My views on abortion? A fetus is not a human being but rather one in the making, and should never be valued over the mother. Abortions should be accessible, because they will be carried out whether or not the government allows it, it’s just a matter of whether or not it will be safe and professionally done. I’m not a huge fan of the idea, I believe that it’s more important to promote contraception, to correct the problem from its root.
I can see you have strong EQ and common sense. Personally, I don’t get my underwear in a twist about these topics either - to each his/her own.

But for me personally, I believe that stopping a beating heart is morally wrong. How do we know someone is alive? We check for a pulse, and stopping a heart from beating is taking a life IMO. I know the fetus starts to have a heartbeat as early as 3 weeks into a pregnancy, which gives very little time. But if you did the deed, you should know the risks. But like you said, an ounce of contraception is better than a pound of cure.