Singapore Expats

Children mental health and physical health

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Children mental health and physical health

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 2:22 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 11:54 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:24 pm
Part of being a sane and mature adult is learning to accept different points of view. Tearing you down would be pointless, I’d much rather have an open dialogue. My views on abortion? A fetus is not a human being but rather one in the making, and should never be valued over the mother. Abortions should be accessible, because they will be carried out whether or not the government allows it, it’s just a matter of whether or not it will be safe and professionally done. I’m not a huge fan of the idea, I believe that it’s more important to promote contraception, to correct the problem from its root.
I can see you have strong EQ and common sense. Personally, I don’t get my underwear in a twist about these topics either - to each his/her own.

But for me personally, I believe that stopping a beating heart is morally wrong. How do we know someone is alive? We check for a pulse, and stopping a heart from beating is taking a life IMO. I know the fetus starts to have a heartbeat as early as 3 weeks into a pregnancy, which gives very little time. But if you did the deed, you should know the risks. But like you said, an ounce of contraception is better than a pound of cure.
Fair enough. And you’re definitely not alone in your opinion. I just feel that it would be foolish to value a potential life over one that already exists. To prioritize a fetus over the safety and well-being of a mother seems insensible to me.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 9:30 am

In situations where the mother would die without an abortion - no matter what stage in the pregnancy - 100% agree. Either way, a life is going to be taken.

But should abortions be easily available to anyone for any reason at any stage… just so they won’t hurt themselves or risk their lives with some DIY method?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 10:49 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 31 Aug 2021 9:30 am
In situations where the mother would die without an abortion - no matter what stage in the pregnancy - 100% agree. Either way, a life is going to be taken.

But should abortions be easily available to anyone for any reason at any stage… just so they won’t hurt themselves or risk their lives with some DIY method?
they’re going to do it either way. It’s whether or not you want it done safely and professionally, which I do.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 11:23 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 31 Aug 2021 10:49 pm
malcontent wrote:
Tue, 31 Aug 2021 9:30 am

they’re going to do it either way. It’s whether or not you want it done safely and professionally, which I do.
Even in the final trimester (assuming no complications)?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr