Singapore Expats

Delta putting a damper on things global

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Delta putting a damper on things global

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:03 pm

Max Headroom wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:48 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:29 am
abbby wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:13 am
I am not sure why the elderly do not want to get vaccinated? Isn't worse to contract it without having any protection..?
I think the main issue is a lack of education leading to misconceptions. Many elderly are fearful of receiving the vaccine as they worry about side effects or that it is unnatural.
I wouldn't be surprised also if some of the older generations believe that, Hey, never kena till now, our body power mah, no need vaccine one. And actually, there's something to be said for that.

The problem is that the outcome is a bit too binary to the gahmen's taste; if the older uncles and aunties don't catch it, no worries, sure. But if they do catch it, there's a good chance of it turning way nasty.
Definitely, plenty of elderly believe they have bodies of iron and steel and don’t need any medical intervention. As evidenced by plenty of infections among elderly (locally or overseas), this is unfortunately not the case.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:30 pm

Max Headroom wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 9:24 am
It's the way to go now and of course the gahmen is aware. However, I think they want to have a bit of spare confidence when it comes to hospital capacity/IC/oxygen cases. Once they're sure absolutely no issues are expected on that front, they'll pivot to endemic mode.
I'll believe it when I see it.

In the end, the government has a bold & ambitious vision, but doubtful support. The government already flinched once when we went back into phase 2.

The electorate just won't allow it. And can you blame the kiasi - look at our immediate northern & southern neighbours, getting out of control. US & Europe screwed up COVID in 2020, but this year it's Asia's turn to get hit.

If our unlinked cases keep climbing, I wouldn't even be surprised if they revert back to a full circuit breaker. I didn't think that would be a possibility (a major policy reversal), but now I'm not so sure...

Currently 0.5% of the population is under quarantine. (or in a wider sense, 100% for the past 16 mths)

Best case, we do get the outbreaks under control & the endemic agenda resume in some form in 2022 as the region gets vaccinated.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:50 pm

Meanwhile...
Seniors 70 and above - 22% unvaccinated.
Seniors 60 - 69 - 14% unvaccinated.

Pretty high numbers. The equivalent of western anti vaxxers.... ](*,)
[Sent by Gov.sg – 30 Jul]

Vaccinations as of 28 Jul
- Received at least 1 dose: 4,278,760
- Completed full regimen*: 3,208,556
- % of population received at least 1 dose: 76%
- % of population completed full regimen*: 57%

Aged ≥ 70
- Received at least 1 dose: 78%
- Completed full regimen*: 72%
- Unvaccinated: 22%

Aged 60-69
- Received at least 1 dose: 86%
- Completed full regimen*: 82%
- Unvaccinated: 14%

Seniors – if you have not been vaccinated, please do so as soon as possible, so that you are protected and we can re-open safely.

Those aged 60 and above can walk-in at any vaccination centre, polyclinic, participating PHPC or mobile vaccination station to get vaccinated.

go.gov.sg/moh290721

_*Received both doses or 1 dose for recovered individuals_

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 1:51 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:30 pm
Max Headroom wrote:
It's the way to go now and of course the gahmen is aware. However, I think they want to have a bit of spare confidence when it comes to hospital capacity/IC/oxygen cases. Once they're sure absolutely no issues are expected on that front, they'll pivot to endemic mode.

In the end, the government has a bold & ambitious vision, but doubtful support. The government already flinched once when we went back into phase 2.

The electorate just won't allow it. And can you blame the kiasi - look at our immediate northern & southern neighbours, getting out of control. US & Europe screwed up COVID in 2020, but this year it's Asia's turn to get hit.

If our unlinked cases keep climbing, I wouldn't even be surprised if they revert back to a full circuit breaker. I didn't think that would be a possibility (a major policy reversal), but now I'm not so sure...

Currently 0.5% of the population is under quarantine. (or in a wider sense, 100% for the past 16 mths)

Best case, we do get the outbreaks under control & the endemic agenda resume in some form in 2022 as the region gets vaccinated.
TBH, I don't think it was a flinch. I think it was part of a bigger plan. The plan being to possibly overreach a bit by returning to Phase 2, which may then subsequently enable them a short while later to announce that there is room for releasing some of the measures prematurely, particularly for those who are vaxxed. Presto: the perfect platform to introduce the carrot/stick approach, i.e. privileges for those who are vaxxed, and vice versa.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 4:21 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:02 pm

And unfortunately the elderly are not able to separate fact from fraud.

I beg your pardon!!!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: [-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Addadude » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 5:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 4:21 pm
I don't think you fall under the category of elderly, SMS. "Vintage" maybe...
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 11:52 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:02 pm

And unfortunately the elderly are not able to separate fact from fraud.

Hahaha, you’re the exception, SMS.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 11:54 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Max Headroom wrote:

True, if cases continue to increase, I can see the government sending us back into quarantine. I am, however, comforted with the idea that 2we have to return to normal at some point- we can’t continue like this for the next decade.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 11:56 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:50 pm
Meanwhile...
Seniors 70 and above - 22% unvaccinated.
Seniors 60 - 69 - 14% unvaccinated.

Pretty high numbers. The equivalent of western anti vaxxers.... ](*,)
[Sent by Gov.sg – 30 Jul]

Vaccinations as of 28 Jul
- Received at least 1 dose: 4,278,760
- Completed full regimen*: 3,208,556
- % of population received at least 1 dose: 76%
- % of population completed full regimen*: 57%

Aged ≥ 70
- Received at least 1 dose: 78%
- Completed full regimen*: 72%
- Unvaccinated: 22%

Aged 60-69
- Received at least 1 dose: 86%
- Completed full regimen*: 82%
- Unvaccinated: 14%

Seniors – if you have not been vaccinated, please do so as soon as possible, so that you are protected and we can re-open safely.

Those aged 60 and above can walk-in at any vaccination centre, polyclinic, participating PHPC or mobile vaccination station to get vaccinated.

go.gov.sg/moh290721

_*Received both doses or 1 dose for recovered individuals_
Insightful stats. Can’t say I’m surprised, the elderly for the most part have been the most resistant group to getting the vaccine, even with all the provisions made to ensure a seamless and easy experience for them.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:09 am

Max Headroom wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 1:51 pm
BigginHill wrote:
Max Headroom wrote:

TBH, I don't think it was a flinch. I think it was part of a bigger plan. The plan being to possibly overreach a bit by returning to Phase 2, which may then subsequently enable them a short while later to announce that there is room for releasing some of the measures prematurely, particularly for those who are vaxxed. Presto: the perfect platform to introduce the carrot/stick approach, i.e. privileges for those who are vaxxed, and vice versa.
Seems a little bit far fetched, but still possible. I personally think the government was being overly idealistic by loosening measures prematurely, and it ended up biting them in the you-know-what.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:10 am

Addadude wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 5:13 pm
I don't think you fall under the category of elderly, SMS. "Vintage" maybe...
Hahaha, or retro maybe!

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 1:24 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 11:54 pm
I am, however, comforted with the idea that 2we have to return to normal at some point- we can’t continue like this for the next decade.
I read an apt analogy recently on the COVID pandemic - COVID is more akin to “War on Drugs” than “War on the Axis Powers.". Like the former, COVID never goes away.

I reckon we'll keep going like this for another 2 years.

After which the vaccinated population will gradually, but surely... >just stop caring<.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 3:11 am

I really don’t see anything significantly different the Govt could have done. It seems a trend than 20% people don’t want vaccine no matter where. In India , 10% of healthcare people didn’t go for vaccine.

Also there is no guarantee on the length of efficacy of vaccine. I read a report that within months , antibodies reduce by 50%. Another report suggested taking a third dose of Pfizer.

Who foresaw the strange behaviour of the Deta variant. It seems we r in a worse situation now than before in terms of transmission except that the seriousness of cases is down. Despite that , who wants to get Covid.

It’s not flu. If one person gets flu, the rest of the family don’t get. You don’t have to isolate in community care facility. Life does not get disrupted. Just bcus u don’t go to ICU does not make it an equivalent of FlU.

It’s serious and undesirable. Most of u worried about damper r those who r anyways unlikely to get it due to work life situation. But if U have a chance of getting it, u would prefer lockdown over opening up.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 7:41 am

Viruses mutate selectively towards becoming as transmissible as possible and as non lethal as possible in order to spread as far as possible. In a few years Covid19 will be the same. The mechanism is simple and repeats hundreds of thousands of times in a victim per hour I've read.

A virus that kills its host can't spread far, or for long. In part that is why the India death rate dropped.

The Spanish Flu took 3 years for that to happen. It will be similar with Covid19 but at least we have a vaccine and maybe one day treatments to survive with while we wait for the mutation to pop put of Africa or South America that takes over the world finally but doesn't kill so many. In part we should be facetiously grateful to those parts of the world. I'd have preferred if Covid19 had been killed off like SARS but we were too slow.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 1:14 pm

Max Headroom wrote:
Fri, 30 Jul 2021 1:51 pm
TBH, I don't think it was a flinch.
The new border restrictions shows real promise for some kind of controlled, semi-viable business travel in the future. (anything to avoid 14-21D hotel Q) Looks like a restricted expansion of the Business Travel Pass.

We may retain a presence in Singapore if they stick. Otherwise it'd honestly be a lost cause, sad to say.

The next 1-2 months will be interesting. Infections are already spiking again in Europe & Canada - we'll see if Singapore's borders shuts down & countries get shuffled back to Cat 4. I hope they stay the course.

239231461_4360812013976417_2226339291691491356_n.jpg