Migrating to Singapore as a doctor

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Lisafuller
Editor
Editor
Answers: 1

Re: Migrating to Singapore as a doctor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:24 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 29 Jul 2021 3:51 pm
My comment was directed to the fact that up to around 10 years ago, there was only one MBBS and that was from a HK university that "could" be recognized after passing the local exam at SMA or whoever sets out the exams.

There are more today from what I understand but they still have to sit a SMA board exam. But if your degree is not from an accepted university, you will not be allowed to sit the exam or practice as an MD. A researcher or technician/clinician is as far as you will get without an MBBS from a vetted university.
Good to know. Although realistically, if one was considering practicing medicine in Singapore, they would have thoroughly researched the requirements prior to completing their degree.

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 3

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:37 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:24 am
Although realistically, if one was considering practicing medicine in Singapore, they would have thoroughly researched the requirements prior to completing their degree.
This is one reason that so few MBBS's and universities are recognized... cultural context. Over and above the quality of the educational and examination processes, it's the assumptions and beliefs that the newly minted docs have... no idea how things are done in first world, top rated medical institutions.

Lisafuller
Editor
Editor
Answers: 1

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:56 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:37 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:24 am
Although realistically, if one was considering practicing medicine in Singapore, they would have thoroughly researched the requirements prior to completing their degree.
This is one reason that so few MBBS's and universities are recognized... cultural context. Over and above the quality of the educational and examination processes, it's the assumptions and beliefs that the newly minted docs have... no idea how things are done in first world, top rated medical institutions.
Good point. I’d imagine having such stringent requirements also helps to weed out the more insincere candidates and streamlines the administrative process.

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 3

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 1:53 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:56 am
Good point. I’d imagine having such stringent requirements also helps to weed out the more insincere candidates and streamlines the administrative process.
"Insincere candidates"? As in commercial airline pilots flying for Air India who bought their commercial pilots license without doing the training? Documented evidence of this and many other "doctored" (no pun intended) degrees and professional certifications.

arrowhh

Post by arrowhh » Mon, 02 Aug 2021 10:09 am

Hi guys, glad to see there are some ongoing discussions on my thread. I graduated from a recognised university.

If you know anyone who managed to move to the Sg and landed an associate consultant or consultant post right from the beginning, please drop me a message.

thanks

arrowhh

Post by arrowhh » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 6:17 am

still on the hunt for a job after over a month :)

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Migrating to Singapore as a doctor

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 17 Sep 2021 7:00 am

I believe the system is heavily weighted towards giving Singaporeans seniority roles.

Anyone coming in overseas will likely have to pay their dues and start on the bottom rung with lower rates titles, unless their skill set is so unique that there is hardly any other talent in SG.

MBBS graduates are carefully pigeonholed into specialties. In the grand pyramid scheme, there isn’t really a shortage of clinicians, but there is a shortage of good nurses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more