Singapore Expats

Is there a minimun stay required for an individual in an HDB?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
ljppkgf

Is there a minimun stay required for an individual in an HDB?

Post by ljppkgf » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 10:04 am

My friends and I recently got an HDB to rent. However, one of us is deciding to move out eventually.

Is there a minimum number of months she has to stay with us first before she can leave (as per HDB regulations)?

Search By

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Is there a minimun stay required for an individual in an HDB?

Post by abbby » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 10:24 am

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:31 am

There is a minimum tenure for the TA. If I recall correctly, it is 12 months.

Correction - from the link posted, it is 6 months.

From what I can see, 6 months is the minimum tenure of the agreement. If someone wants to leave before that and the landlord agrees, then I see no reason why they cannot do so.

ljppkgf

Post by ljppkgf » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 4:59 pm

Yeah, that's right. I understand that minimum 6 months requirement for an hdb tenancy.

Just wanted to check whether HDB also has a provision that specifies a minimum stay for an individual. But looks like there none and this issue only have to be discussed with the landlord.. to get his consent; and so that he can change the registered tenants of his unit

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 8:49 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:31 am
If someone wants to leave before that and the landlord agrees, then I see no reason why they cannot do so.
Knowing how HDB and the Gahment in general, they do not like to be played out. The owner could get into trouble and so could the tenant. Especially if the owner then tries to let it out immediately following. Unless, of course, the tenant is being retrenched and sent home. Think twice first then act once. Things have a bad habit of following you on the little red dot.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 26 Jul 2021 9:23 am

I do think it's also 6 months for tenants should apply both ways, tenant and landlord.

If retrenched or repatriated and you need to leave early, then you would need to provide documentary proof from the company to the landlord.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Jul 2021 8:22 pm

Correct It's the same provision when enacting a Dip Clause. You need to provide documentation and sometimes a flight ticket as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 11:49 pm

Whats the reason for this? Are they trying to avoid insincere buyers?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 1:12 pm

Basically, it's to prevent short term rentals. There are furnished Short Term Accommodations (service apartments) you can rent monthly and are licensed for short term lodgings (BnB technically is illegal in Sg). HDB requires minimum 6 month leases so as to prevent the use of HDB homes for transient SVP types of stays.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 2:39 pm

When I first arrived in Singapore in 1996, I believe I signed a 6 month rental for an HDB room.

Kind of funny, the HDB owner never even got a copy of my passport or authorized stay in Singapore (I was on an SVP at the time).

After about 4-5 months they realized I didn’t have an employment pass and in a panic they asked for copies of my passport with proof of legal stay. I ended up remaining on SVP well past the 6 months and rented month-to-month from there. I eventually got my EP after a total of 9 months on SVP while jobless.

Those were tough times, but I still managed to enjoy myself. My open-ended return ticket had expired after 6 months, and I had no money to buy a return ticket. I was living on a wing and a prayer. Somehow I just knew everything would work out… and it did.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 31 Jul 2021 10:15 pm

Yet, in spite of this, AirBnB in Singapore is going strong. Hundreds of entries, including many by "superhosts".

It seems to me that if the gahmen actually cared, they'd shut down AirBnB... but it's going strong.

Quite a few now list themselves as "service apartments" but there are tons of condo units for rent.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sun, 01 Aug 2021 12:17 pm

Serious? I thought AirBnB was shut here.
Could it be cos they rent for 3 months for condo so is permissible..