Singapore Expats

Consequences of withdrawing SC Application after receiving AIP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
avengers8888

Consequences of withdrawing SC Application after receiving AIP

Post by avengers8888 » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 12:32 pm

Anyone ever withdraw SC Application after receiving AIP ?
What are the consequences? Will REP renewal be a problem in the future ?
It is not that I didn’t think with clear mindset before applying but it is currently due to some unforeseen circumstances I might need to withdraw my SC Application which has been approved in principal

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Consequences of withdrawing SC Application after receiving AIP

Post by smoulder » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 12:37 pm

Someone else who has seen more can probably confirm it, but I suspect that it can affect your REP. For sure you cannot try your luck again in the future. And it could probably affect your kids (or future kids) chances of PR or SC approval.

However, if I may ask, what's the reason why you want to withdraw?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 1:05 pm

Suffice it to say, it is a known fact that both the MOM & ICA have a very long memory and while efficient and usually helpful, they are also known to be very vindictive with those who have abused their versions of being nice. Good Luck. I'd suggest TOTO, your odds are better.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

avengers8888

Post by avengers8888 » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 1:11 pm

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 20 Jul 2021 12:37 pm
Someone else who has seen more can probably confirm it, but I suspect that it can affect your REP. For sure you cannot try your luck again in the future. And it could probably affect your kids (or future kids) chances of PR or SC approval.

However, if I may ask, what's the reason why you want to withdraw?
Yeah hopefully others with more info on this can share
How will it affect REP ? As in won’t get approval during renewal ?

There are family matters back in my home country just emerged and parents with concervative mindset esp pertaining asset n inheritance so some adjustments have to be done

avengers8888

Post by avengers8888 » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 1:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 20 Jul 2021 1:05 pm
Suffice it to say, it is a known fact that both the MOM & ICA have a very long memory and while efficient and usually helpful, they are also known to be very vindictive with those who have abused their versions of being nice. Good Luck. I'd suggest TOTO, your odds are better.
Thanks for the input, understand it will be close to zero for approval chance if I were to apply for SC again in the future, however does it mean my REP is on risk too ?

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 2:31 pm

Yes there is.
You should have thought of all these before you applied for SC.

Best way to mitigate this risk is to ensure you are in singapore and paying taxes/have a job when you do your next renewal.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 3:08 pm

So if I understood correctly, you are worried about inheritance in I'm guessing, Malaysia? How does turning SC affect that?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 6:39 pm

avengers8888 wrote:
Tue, 20 Jul 2021 1:24 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 20 Jul 2021 1:05 pm
Thanks for the input, understand it will be close to zero for approval chance if I were to apply for SC again in the future, however does it mean my REP is on risk too ?
The short answer is YES.
The longer answer is Permanent Residence is a stepping stone to SG Citizenship. It's where the government susses you out over a minimum 2 year period (or longer) if you would make a good SGC. If you apply for SGC and are found to be what the want and approved, and then you reject their offer, well, you just told them they were wrong in their assessment about you. As PR is a stepping stone, then, you have already shown them your true colours (regardless of the reasons) and so why should they keep you around, you are no longer feedstock for citizenship. The odds of having your REP renewed is low at best. You make your bed, you have to sleep in it. Never burn bridges if you can help it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 21 Jul 2021 4:03 am

There is only one thing that could _possibly_ get you off the hook and ensure your REP renewal.

We know that you must give up your other citizenship(s) as part of the SG naturalization process. You would need to demonstrate circumstances related to giving up your citizenship so drastic that no reasonable person would act differently in your circumstances.

Otherwise, it will be like jilting the girl who is in love with you... she's going to be highly pissed.

Dukunberanak

Post by Dukunberanak » Sun, 26 Jun 2022 4:12 pm

Hello,
Did you decide to take sg citizenship? If not, how about your REP renewal? Any issue?

avengers8888

Post by avengers8888 » Wed, 29 Jun 2022 4:54 pm

Dukunberanak wrote:
Sun, 26 Jun 2022 4:12 pm
Hello,
Did you decide to take sg citizenship? If not, how about your REP renewal? Any issue?
Yes, I eventually proceed with SGC