Singapore Expats

Navigating quaruntine & LTVP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ashtag06

Navigating quaruntine & LTVP

Post by ashtag06 » Mon, 19 Jul 2021 7:14 pm

Hi Everyone

Firstly, thanks to the incredible advice provided by members in this forum, I have taken the right steps to coordinate getting a transfer from my UK based job to the Singapore office.

However, due to the pandemic, they have suggested the LTVP + LOC route is the easiest.

The plan is for me to fly to Singapore in late October 2021, where I'll need to undertake the 14 day quarantine (presuming this doesn't change for fully vaccinated people). However, I have some questions over the LTVP which the ICA website, and other forum posts don't seem to answer. I'm aware that my spouse can't apply for the LTVP for me until I receive a visit pass, so I presume I can do this once I've landed and am in quarantine.

Whilst the ICA website says it can take up to 6 months for the LTVP to process, my company are expecting me to start my contract on 1st November. I'm slightly concerned about it all fitting together and actually playing out that smoothly.

Does anyone have any experience with how the process is working during the pandemic and whether there are steps I can take to try and make the process as quick and simple as possible?

FYI - my wife is a SC citizen. We currently both work in the UK, but will be moving to Singapore in late October.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: Navigating quaruntine & LTVP

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 8:46 pm

This post from 3 years ago suggested posting a blank D/E card to the recipient overseas and use that number to start the LTVP application.

However, ICA no longer issues a physical D/E card since Mar 2020, and it is replaced with this instead which is available on an app. If you click on the image in the example, you’ll see the D/E number which can be used for your LTVP application.

So I’m not sure if you can start the LTVP application with the D/E number from the app but you can certainly try and let us know.

ashtag06

Post by ashtag06 » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 8:51 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Tue, 20 Jul 2021 8:46 pm
This post from 3 years ago suggested posting a blank D/E card to the recipient overseas and use that number to start the LTVP application.

However, ICA no longer issues a physical D/E card since Mar 2020, and it is replaced with this instead which is available on an app. If you click on the image in the example, you’ll see the D/E number which can be used for your LTVP application.

So I’m not sure if you can start the LTVP application with the D/E number from the app but you can certainly try and let us know.
I will report back after I move!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 30 Jul 2021 11:51 pm

Best of luck!

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 04 Aug 2021 9:12 am

Hi Ash,

I just got my special exemption to enter SG on a short term visit pass - so I’ll update you with respect to how long it takes to secure a LTVP (my wife is a SC) as I’ll be applying for one as soon as I get there.

We are leaving the U.K. this Saturday.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Thu, 02 Sep 2021 2:04 pm

Hi Ash,

Just as an update:

Arrived in SG: 8/8/21
Applied LTVP: 14/8/21
Approved in principle: 02/09/21

So if you apply as soon as you arrive, by the time you’re out from SHN, you shouldn’t have to wait terribly long. A week or two more, perhaps.

Hope that’s of some help? I’ll let you know once I’ve physically got the document too.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 1:49 am

Collected today.

ashtag06

Post by ashtag06 » Sat, 09 Oct 2021 6:48 pm

Sunjackal wrote:
Thu, 02 Sep 2021 2:04 pm
Hi Ash,

Just as an update:

Arrived in SG: 8/8/21
Applied LTVP: 14/8/21
Approved in principle: 02/09/21

So if you apply as soon as you arrive, by the time you’re out from SHN, you shouldn’t have to wait terribly long. A week or two more, perhaps.

Hope that’s of some help? I’ll let you know once I’ve physically got the document too.
That's really good to know! Thank you for that info. I will land in SG on the 31/10/21 and am due to start my new job in early Dec, so need my LTVP an LOC linked up by then.

I've just received entry approval, so it does now look like the starts are aligning.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Mon, 11 Oct 2021 9:58 am

Should be fine. Keep us updated!

ashtag06

Post by ashtag06 » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 12:21 am

Sunjackal wrote:
Mon, 11 Oct 2021 9:58 am
Should be fine. Keep us updated!
Can I ask - when you entered Singapore, did you need to provide evidence that you were 'departing' the country to get your short term visa, or did you just explain you were applying for LTVP?

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 1:45 am

You get a STVP as a default when you come to Singapore. We get 90 days as British citizens.

ashtag06

Post by ashtag06 » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 5:23 pm

Sunjackal wrote:
Wed, 13 Oct 2021 1:45 am
You get a STVP as a default when you come to Singapore. We get 90 days as British citizens.
I've actually lived and worked in SG previously under a EP, but before I got the EP I had to enter the country and show proof that I would be leaving within the duration of the STV - e.g. bus to Malaysia.

Did you enter with just a one way flight ticket? Did they ask you at immigration where you intended to go afterward? Did you mention you were applying for the LTVP?

Thanks

Ash

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 7:32 pm

ashtag06 wrote:
Wed, 13 Oct 2021 12:21 am
did you need to provide evidence that you were 'departing' the country to get your short term visa, or did you just explain you were applying for LTVP?
When my husband applied for LTVP in 2019, he packed these in his carry-on backpack: the PMLA and an onward ticket from a budget airline to a nearby SEA country.

Customs officer did ask what he was here for, husband replied “to get married to his Singaporean fiancée”. The officer did not ask for the PMLA or the onward ticket and allowed my husband into SG and gave him the 90 day STVP since he’s from the US.

However, do note that it’s up to the customs officer on whether he/she wants wants to ask for more information from you. It’s always good to err on the side of caution and be prepared.

I even emailed ICA about this (does he need onward ticket since he has PMLA and will apply for LTVP) and ICA’s reply was what was found on ICA website, something along the lines of “A confirmed onward or return ticket (where applicable)”.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 7:44 pm

ashtag06 wrote:
Wed, 13 Oct 2021 5:23 pm
Sunjackal wrote:
Wed, 13 Oct 2021 1:45 am
I've actually lived and worked in SG previously under a EP, but before I got the EP I had to enter the country and show proof that I would be leaving within the duration of the STV - e.g. bus to Malaysia.

Did you enter with just a one way flight ticket? Did they ask you at immigration where you intended to go afterward? Did you mention you were applying for the LTVP?

Thanks

Ash
I entered SG alongside my SC wife and child, and I said that we were moving here to settle. I explained that I had a pending PR application and that once I had served my SHN I was planning to apply for a LTVP but that I haven’t been able to do this in advance as I had with my PR application.

The officer was completely fine with that.

ashtag06

Post by ashtag06 » Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:55 am

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 13 Oct 2021 7:32 pm
ashtag06 wrote:
Wed, 13 Oct 2021 12:21 am
did you need to provide evidence that you were 'departing' the country to get your short term visa, or did you just explain you were applying for LTVP?
When my husband applied for LTVP in 2019, he packed these in his carry-on backpack: the PMLA and an onward ticket from a budget airline to a nearby SEA country.

Customs officer did ask what he was here for, husband replied “to get married to his Singaporean fiancée”. The officer did not ask for the PMLA or the onward ticket and allowed my husband into SG and gave him the 90 day STVP since he’s from the US.

However, do note that it’s up to the customs officer on whether he/she wants wants to ask for more information from you. It’s always good to err on the side of caution and be prepared.

I even emailed ICA about this (does he need onward ticket since he has PMLA and will apply for LTVP) and ICA’s reply was what was found on ICA website, something along the lines of “A confirmed onward or return ticket (where applicable)”.
I really don't want to have to purchase a return flight! I know I'll probably be able to refund it but it's an expensive expense, especially when a bus to Malaysia or boat to Indo isn't possible atm. Hopefully, the fact I've got a pre-arrange LOC will suffice, as it shows I will essentially start working once I receive an LTVP.

Thanks for the info.