Singapore Expats

Indian Ethnicity Specific PR Guidance

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
TamilKo

Indian Ethnicity Specific PR Guidance

Post by TamilKo » Sun, 18 Jul 2021 12:14 am

Hi Experts,

I have few questions and i've given a brief overview of my profile for you to suggest which aspect I should work on (probably length of Stay) :

Nationality & Ethnicity : - Indian
Marital Status : Married
Progeny : 1 Son who is 3 years old attending a pre-school.
Industry :- Head of a niche corporate banking operations Department in a top MNC Bank and member of various MAS / ABS working groups for digital and operational transformations.
Salary : SGD 152,500 / year + SGD 15,000 Bonus
Education : - B.Tech (IT) In a recognized govt university from India , MBA From Nanyang Technological University in Singapore (Executive like part time MBA for working professionals)
Stay in Singapore : 4 years
Previous Attempts : 2 and both rejected (2018 once rejected in Feb 2019 and 2020 next rejected in March 2021)

Spouse : Female / Age 32
Nationality & Ethnicity : - Indian
Industry : Working on DP LOA with an IT company in software testing and mobile apps testing for a big local finance / insurance company.
Salary : SGD 3500 / Month (Employed since Nov'2020)
My 2nd attempt was through an agency because after the first attempt that I applied by myself i thought agencies may possibly add value - who asked to me donate, do volunteering etc , buy an insurance for my entire family with cash value that could be withdrawn later to demonstrate economic contribution etc. They also prepared a cover letter stating how supersonic i would be if I were given the PR and how we admire SG. However after the 2nd application too got rejected, I am skeptical that these agencies are just utilizing Indian and "Others" categories to mislead in to believing that they are privy to some information that we may not be otherwise. So my questions are

1) What are my chances to get PR if I were to re-apply end of 2021 or probably after my increment cycle in April 2022 and how long do you think I should wait and re-apply to stand a reasonable chance for my ethnicity?
2) In your experience how much does this volunteering help? my personal view is that it shouldn't matter because it looks like a shortcut or an easily gamed system and ethically too doing it to get PR seems plain wrong from ICA's view. Is my understanding correct?
3) Based on the population statistics the PR is not granted based on a fixed points system like in the west but rather more of ethnic quota based. Given this and that the immigration system is opaque, how does the Government let these PR consultancies and agencies operate because they provide us lot of other requirements such as those mentioned above when ICA themselves don't mandate these in their website?

Thanks Experts ! :D

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Indian Ethnicity Specific PR Guidance

Post by the observer » Sun, 18 Jul 2021 1:44 am

The gahmen has specifically said that they want to keep ethnic ratios constant, amongst the citizens.

https://www.gov.sg/article/what-are-the ... e-citizens

And the PR stock has remained constant as well at 500-600k

By extrapolating that, you can deduce that any new PR vacancies would come from former PRs who’s either converted to citizens or who’s left the country for good.

Long story short, there’s quota by ethnicity, and the plan is to be the creme de la creme within your own pool. (Your biggest bugbear is that there’s so many highly paid Indian bankers who’s earning way more than you, if you think salary and designation is the main criteria)

And yeah, I’m probably regurgitating stuff you’re probably aware, and not quite answering your questions (which I’m sure the others would chip in).

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 18 Jul 2021 6:30 am

Your chances are low. Giving Indians in banking PR is an election loser for this gahmen as the PMET citizens are turning on them. Also Your salary is suspiciously low for such a position which makes me think there is some title inflation going on.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

TamilKo

Post by TamilKo » Sun, 18 Jul 2021 8:52 am

PNGMK wrote:
Sun, 18 Jul 2021 6:30 am
Your chances are low. Giving Indians in banking PR is an election loser for this gahmen as the PMET citizens are turning on them. Also Your salary is suspiciously low for such a position which makes me think there is some title inflation going on.
Thank you! Neither the title is inflated nor is the salary not commensurate to the position. This is because the inflated salaries you're referring to are only in certain sections of the bank such as IB FO or Corporate Banking Sales. Banking operations / subject matter expertise and transaction banking pays are only this much.
https://www.efinancialcareers.sg/news/f ... -singapore
Wouldnt my local post graduate degree (Executive MBA) from NTU help? In fact i graduated after my 2nd rejection.
Last edited by TamilKo on Sun, 18 Jul 2021 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

TamilKo

Post by TamilKo » Sun, 18 Jul 2021 8:56 am

the observer wrote:
Sun, 18 Jul 2021 1:44 am
The gahmen has specifically said that they want to keep ethnic ratios constant, amongst the citizens.

https://www.gov.sg/article/what-are-the ... e-citizens

And the PR stock has remained constant as well at 500-600k

By extrapolating that, you can deduce that any new PR vacancies would come from former PRs who’s either converted to citizens or who’s left the country for good.

Long story short, there’s quota by ethnicity, and the plan is to be the creme de la creme within your own pool. (Your biggest bugbear is that there’s so many highly paid Indian bankers who’s earning way more than you, if you think salary and designation is the main criteria)

And yeah, I’m probably regurgitating stuff you’re probably aware, and not quite answering your questions (which I’m sure the others would chip in).
Thank you and i am confused about the salary part because in some forums experts differ on this. Some say high salary is a risk because that person may fly off to west for greener pastures while others say just as you have said.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 18 Jul 2021 11:16 am

The issue is not the level but the level vs position. If it doesn't look normal it doesn't help.

TamilKo

Post by TamilKo » Mon, 19 Jul 2021 11:14 pm

Thanks sir, but I again say that titles in the bank i work for are not inflated like in local banks. You can check the salary range for such roles here

https://www.glassdoor.sg/Salaries/singa ... O10,35.htm

I thought i may have some chance as i graduated from a top local Uni with a post graduation when i was working here as well. But based on other threads and your expert feedback I now lost hope.

sp786
Regular
Regular

Post by sp786 » Mon, 19 Jul 2021 11:23 pm

Your profile is the kind of profile i recently came across getting their PRs approved however their duration if SG has been at least 7+ years and few 10+ years. Your duration of stay seems to be low within which you've applied twice and rejected too!

May be you can give it a shot based on some top candid advices given by the moderators such as not using an agency, show-off unnecessary fluff such as voluntary work etc and stick to basics. If you think you really want to settle down in a place so that you have sense of belongingness and can have a decent job as well then try to apply to Canada. 47% of all accepted PR invitations are for Indians (your ethnicity won't work against you there) and their points system is very transparent so you can try to first assess your chances and do it.

But do note that country has a very high tax rate compared to SG but education & medical are free and at times subsidized.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Mon, 19 Jul 2021 11:38 pm

the observer wrote:
Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:52 am
Canada welcomes you. So long as you are fine with the tax.

400k PRs to be dished annually, till 2023.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/article ... t-recovery

Generous PRs to be dished out till 2023

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=138800&p=838926&hi ... da#p838922

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 6:19 am

OP, the gahment has two reasons to give PR.

Win Elections.

Increase GDP.

You do neither.

TamilKo

Post by TamilKo » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 9:41 am

PNGMK sir thanks for your assessment and i shall from now probably consider merit based immigration countries as well.

sp786
Regular
Regular

Post by sp786 » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:40 am

Unfortunately you're yearning to assess your profile for a country described best by your neighbour here from Pakistan
https://opencanada.org/discovering-my-c ... singapore/
Your home country politics appeases minorities whereas this country's politics appeases the majority because this country was born out of a painful racial riot and hence the majority have somewhat a reason to protect their interests.