Singapore Expats

Dine-in limit

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Dine-in limit

Post by abbby » Fri, 16 Jul 2021 6:09 pm

Okie..I have to say it's all getting very confusing..dine in cant dine in, 2 pax, 5 pax, 1 Pax, no pax....thanks to the KTV patrons for the latest changes again. Just when things were looking better, these irresponsible lot of people are out to do extraordinary things.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... d_s7fstbyc
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sp786
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Re: Dine-in limit

Post by sp786 » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:30 pm

Now totally cannot

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Wed, 21 Jul 2021 9:14 am

We can't dine in anymore from Jul 22 to Aug 18 due to the high daily local infection rate.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:12 am

More than the dine in limit, what bugs me is the gym restrictions. That is extremely frustrating.

sp786
Regular
Regular

Post by sp786 » Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:32 am

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:12 am
More than the dine in limit, what bugs me is the gym restrictions. That is extremely frustrating.
Yes i feel gyms may increase membership fee beyond a certain point due to actual and potential revenue loss

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:46 am

sp786 wrote:
Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:32 am
smoulder wrote:
Yes i feel gyms may increase membership fee beyond a certain point due to actual and potential revenue loss
More than the fear that my gym might increase the fee is the frustration of a regular lifter.

Long breaks which happen frequently are a set back. You keep having to start almost from scratch each time. During the time off, all you can do is cardio. And some body weight exercises which have limited carry over to training with weights for a more advanced lifter.

I just took a month after the last closure to get my body acclimatized to the heavier weights and was planning to hit personal record territory when the latest news of a closure came.

sp786
Regular
Regular

Post by sp786 » Wed, 21 Jul 2021 11:38 am

Wah boulder lifting smoulder :twisted:

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 21 Jul 2021 11:45 am

Agree, the psychological down when you feel your gains erode due to these gym closures is a major bummer.

Still, first world problem eh. I mean, this should be our biggest problem. Let's face it, it's pretty minor compared to the millions of peeps out there that have it way, way worse.

Incidentally, I've always known about this, but to personally experience muscle memory in action after a lay-off is awesome and half.

From Wiki:

Previously untrained muscles acquire newly formed nuclei by fusion of satellite cells preceding the hypertrophy. Subsequent detraining leads to atrophy but no loss of myo-nuclei. The elevated number of nuclei in muscle fibers that had experienced a hypertrophic episode would provide a mechanism for muscle memory, explaining the long-lasting effects of training and the ease with which previously trained individuals are more easily retrained.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 22 Jul 2021 10:39 am

smoulder wrote:
Agree. My boxing studio now has a mask-on policy. It’s hard to breathe without the masks on, with the masks on its nearly impossible.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 22 Jul 2021 10:41 am

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:46 am
sp786 wrote:
smoulder wrote:
More than the fear that my gym might increase the fee is the frustration of a regular lifter.

Long breaks which happen frequently are a set back. You keep having to start almost from scratch each time. During the time off, all you can do is cardio. And some body weight exercises which have limited carry over to training with weights for a more advanced lifter.

I just took a month after the last closure to get my body acclimatized to the heavier weights and was planning to hit personal record territory when the latest news of a closure came.
Same thing can be said about nearly any other form of exercise. It requires consistent effort to improve, any breaks will result in stagnation.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 22 Jul 2021 11:15 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 10:41 am
smoulder wrote:
sp786 wrote:

Same thing can be said about nearly any other form of exercise. It requires consistent effort to improve, any breaks will result in stagnation.
No doubt that's true. What I meant is that at least for some activities, you can focus on something which is not the activity but which is related and will help to maintain your performance once you restart.

With weightlifting, it's very hard to mimic sufficient force generation through some other activity without just getting under the bar. I wouldn't say that it is impossible, but it takes quite a bit of creativity to make implements that can do that for you - and most likely, they will be big pieces of junk that occupy precious space inside your house.

While I have been doing cardio for general health as my main activity during these gym closures, it's totally unrelated to lifting.

Note that I'm not saying that lifting is the only such fitness activity which has these challenges - there probably are a few others, but I'm highlighting this one.

Examples of things that people normally do in gyms that don't require them to exclusively go to a gym - cardio equipment and all those group dance classes. Instead of running on a treadmill, I could jog at the park. Instead of dancing in a group, I could do that at home - there are plenty of YouTube channels that cater to it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Jul 2021 12:28 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 11:15 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 10:41 am
smoulder wrote:

No doubt that's true. What I meant is that at least for some activities, you can focus on something which is not the activity but which is related and will help to maintain your performance once you restart.

With weightlifting, it's very hard to mimic sufficient force generation through some other activity without just getting under the bar. I wouldn't say that it is impossible, but it takes quite a bit of creativity to make implements that can do that for you - and most likely, they will be big pieces of junk that occupy precious space inside your house.

While I have been doing cardio for general health as my main activity during these gym closures, it's totally unrelated to lifting.

Note that I'm not saying that lifting is the only such fitness activity which has these challenges - there probably are a few others, but I'm highlighting this one.

Examples of things that people normally do in gyms that don't require them to exclusively go to a gym - cardio equipment and all those group dance classes. Instead of running on a treadmill, I could jog at the park. Instead of dancing in a group, I could do that at home - there are plenty of YouTube channels that cater to it.
True. It can be especially hard to keep your progress going without the proper lifting equipment.