Singapore Expats

on EP: newly hired and want to switch job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
lithsue

on EP: newly hired and want to switch job

Post by lithsue » Fri, 16 Jul 2021 9:21 am

Hello,

Please share some views/opinions/violent reactions/advise.. I am going nuts with my current situation.

My previous position in company X became uncertain and I was lucky enough to get hired again in May 2021. The EP application was approved after 2 weeks and I start work for company A in August , doing a similar job.

However, I also applied for a very different and much more interesting role in company B but they were slow in getting back to me. They just recently reached out and it looks like they are drafting an offer. This is what I originally wanted to do but it took them ages to start their process.

If the package is right, will there be issues if they apply for my EP e.g. mid/end August? I guess there will be chances that MOM might not approve it, but if they do and it gets approved, will there be MOM problems if I resign from company A after just joining them e.g. for a month or two?

Note: I moved to Singapore in 2009 and have never been "job hopping" , so I want to avoid being deemed as such.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: on EP: newly hired and want to switch job

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Jul 2021 12:14 pm

As long as the new employer can successfully apply and obtain the IPA (ensure that happens before giving notice to current employer) Give proper notice as per your contract with Co A or pay salary in lieu of notice if need be (or the new employer can pay it for you if they want you bad enough). Then join the new company. But as I said, make sure you have the IPA in hand before you submit your resignation.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lithsue

Re: on EP: newly hired and want to switch job

Post by lithsue » Fri, 16 Jul 2021 2:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 16 Jul 2021 12:14 pm
As long as the new employer can successfully apply and obtain the IPA (ensure that happens before giving notice to current employer) Give proper notice as per your contract with Co A or pay salary in lieu of notice if need be (or the new employer can pay it for you if they want you bad enough). Then join the new company. But as I said, make sure you have the IPA in hand before you submit your resignation.
Thank you, appreciate it.

I guess we won't really know how MOM would react or treat my case.