Singapore Expats

Noisy neighbor most nights until 7-8am, what can we do?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
unbelievable1981
Answers: 1

Noisy neighbor most nights until 7-8am, what can we do?

Post by unbelievable1981 » Tue, 13 Jul 2021 4:26 pm

Dear Expats,
In the last 3 months a new tenant has moved into the unit directly below mine. Since they have moved in I've to put up with 1 of 2 things 6 to 7 days a week and basically got no sleep:
1. Party start at 8/9/10pm and goes non-stop until even beyond 7am. Noise issues include music, shouting on balcony, screaming, banging walls, singing, etc.
2. If they go to work (KTV workers), they have a dog so that will bark all night until about 5am when they come home from KTV work (where the party starts again until 8am).

Ear plugs don't have much effect against this and one shouldn't have to wear ear plugs when I need to hear alarm because I've meetings start 6am most days.
Day time you never hear a thing from them...clearly they are sleeping until 5pm when they go to their "office".

Things I've done to try resolve the issue:
1. Talk to the tenant in a reasonable manner when they are making the noise. Instead they scream back at me.
2. Call condo Security. After Security visit them, they deny it is them.
3. Send email to Condo Management with full details of the incident, including times, description of disturbance, videos, photos and audio recordings. Management have sent emails and stamped letters to Tenant, they never reply.
4. Called Police 1800 255 0000 after about 2 hours of constant noise...at times not just midnight, 2am, 4am. Person on the phone advises next unit will be there in 30 minutes. However noise continues until early hours.
I ask Security the next day and they say they were expecting Police (Security ask me to call Police) but never see Police come. I therefore call back to Police hotline asking for clarification but never heard back.
5. Lodged Police Reports online with full written details like dates, times, exact details of each incident, etc. Receive email back within 24 hours notifying of the assigned Police Officer, never hear back from Police.

I asked a number of people I know in Singapore about this. Apparently nothing can do about noise, Police will never attend, instead I need to mention some safety issue like fall off balcony.
However this noise is extremely loud and other units in the condo complain about this noisy unit too so it's not just me impacted by noise.

Question:
What could be my possible next steps to have:
1. The noisy dog removed?
2. The tenant made to stop making loud noise after 10pm or midnight, not clear on what the law says about this. Possible I've to go mediation (I know they won't attend) or could I move on to State Courts to have an Injunction issued under the Community Disputes Resolution Act?
Open to any options you may have to reduce the noise :)

Search By

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Noisy neighbor most nights until 7-8am, what can we do?

Post by tiktok » Tue, 13 Jul 2021 8:29 pm

Join the party? To be honest I'm surprised there are people like this in Singapore. They must sleep at some point, that's the time to pay them back.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 13 Jul 2021 10:08 pm

Report report report. Harass the LL and agent to fix this.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 13 Jul 2021 10:12 pm

Make the agent and LL life hell. Same as yours. They have the pull to fix this. You don't.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 13 Jul 2021 10:14 pm

"I'm going to ring you every night these tards next door make excessive noise".

"Wah I cannot tahan"

"Come down and fix it. Ring the MA now. File police report. Or I cancel lease and charge you for moving costs and new agent fee. Fix it you squint eye".

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Wed, 14 Jul 2021 11:38 am

Sadly, I think not much can be done on the noise level. I totally feel you as I do get the occasional short moments of furniture dragging at night or loud thumping and that alone is very annoying to me. I think that's one of the disadvantages to have someone living above us.

That being said, I once had a very rowdy neighbour who would smoke, drink, laugh and shout till the wee hours of the morning, I've seen security guards and police visiting the premises too and nothing was done, just a advice from police to tone down...

Perhaps you could ask your agent to have the owner to make a complaint to the MCST about the late noises at night. Try record some noises on your phone as evidence.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 14 Jul 2021 11:54 am

There was a case not too long ago, in some heartland HDB, same as yours, i.e. a noise-maker and a noise-makee. It took very, very long, but eventually the noise-maker got what he deserved (booted by the authorities). And thusly, so did the noise-makee (relative peace and quiet).

IOW, you need to stick to your guns to have a shot at getting the desired result.

unbelievable1981

Post by unbelievable1981 » Thu, 15 Jul 2021 7:27 pm

thank you all! Waited for this thread to settle with all points of view before I reply.

@tiktok they don't seem to sleep because I've seen them go quite at 8am and then 10am they're outside smoking. By 3pm they're off to the KTV...weird must be on something.

@PNGMK valuable points thank you! I'll keep on that angle, reply I got back from agent was...nothing lol

@abbby yes I've got a 24/7 voice activated recorder...one recording goes for over 8 hours non-stop from them lol

@Max Headroom I'll be relentless, thanks for that!

Rocketboy

Post by Rocketboy » Thu, 15 Jul 2021 11:41 pm

Where is this condo? Is this Geylang? Asking because want to avoid issues like that for investment properties...

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 16 Jul 2021 1:08 pm

You can choose to take a more hard-line approach, and pursue legal action, OR, you can try to kill them with kindness. No one wants to be enemies with their neighbors. Have a chat with them, maybe they’ll be understanding. If not, go ahead with your original plan.

unbelievable1981

Post by unbelievable1981 » Fri, 16 Jul 2021 2:52 pm

@Rocketboy near a heartland HDB area, definitely not an area like Geylang. You can't choose your neighbours.

@Lisafuller if reached out to them in a nice way over balcony, instead I get yelled at. The tenant has also tried to intimidate me in the condo carpark. Silly boy he is, I just stood there with a smile under my face mask.
He also make excuse, trying to place the blame back on me lol like I was the one screaming, typical little gangster type.

sp786
Regular
Regular

Post by sp786 » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 12:08 am

You play loud music if they play rock you play loud folk music

If they drum you blow a conch or trumpet

If they talk you loudly play a dog barking sound on a JBL speaker audible to them.

Counter attaaaaack :cool: :twisted:

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 9:40 am

Big speakers, plenty of bass, powerful amp. Lay speakers directly on floor over their bedroom. Play heavy metal at full volume while they are trying to sleep.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Tue, 20 Jul 2021 1:43 pm

Haha! Love all the ideas!
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)