Singapore Expats

New Prefix for long term pass holders

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

New Prefix for long term pass holders

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Jul 2021 1:55 am

Immigration & Checkpoints Authority

The ICA will introduce a new FIN series with the prefix M from 1 January 2022. Similar to the format of the F and G FIN series, the new M FIN series will start with the prefix M, followed by seven digits and a checksum letter (e.g. M1234567B). Foreigners who are currently assigned with the F and G FIN series will not be affected by the introduction of the M FIN series.
Read on: https://www.ica.gov.sg/news-and-publica ... urYgThiK8k

FINs Cannot Be Recycled-Question came up a week or so ago. This confirms my answer at that time.

Like the identification numbers for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents, FINs are unique to each individual and cannot be re-assigned to other foreigners after the pass holders have left Singapore permanently or have passed on. This means that the available FINs in each series will deplete over time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: New Prefix for long term pass holders

Post by malcontent » Thu, 15 Jul 2021 11:37 pm

Thanks SMS… guess I’ll always be an F

:evil: #-o :lol:
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 17 Jul 2021 12:32 am

We all know what the F stood for… how about the M? And why no H, I, J, K or L?

That also makes me wonder what will be after T on the SC/PR side. Probably not U.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Sat, 17 Jul 2021 3:22 pm

https://sg.theasianparent.com/singapore ... -facts/amp

S is the 19th letter of the alphabet for those born in the 1900s. When the new millennium came around, anyone born from 2000 onward had the T prefix.

As for why they chose F, maybe ‘cos FIN stands for Foreign Identification Number? *shrug*

F for those issued before 2000, G for those issued after 2000.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 17 Jul 2021 5:45 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Sat, 17 Jul 2021 3:22 pm
S is the 19th letter of the alphabet for those born in the 1900s. When the new millennium came around, anyone born from 2000 onward had the T prefix.
I believe that some clever person came up with that alternate explanation long after they started using S as the first letter. But that is just my take.

lolz512

Post by lolz512 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 3:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 13 Jul 2021 1:55 am
Immigration & Checkpoints Authority

The ICA will introduce a new FIN series with the prefix M from 1 January 2022. Similar to the format of the F and G FIN series, the new M FIN series will start with the prefix M, followed by seven digits and a checksum letter (e.g. M1234567B). Foreigners who are currently assigned with the F and G FIN series will not be affected by the introduction of the M FIN series.
Read on: https://www.ica.gov.sg/news-and-publica ... urYgThiK8k

FINs Cannot Be Recycled-Question came up a week or so ago. This confirms my answer at that time.

Like the identification numbers for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents, FINs are unique to each individual and cannot be re-assigned to other foreigners after the pass holders have left Singapore permanently or have passed on. This means that the available FINs in each series will deplete over time.
If you leave SG, then come back, will you have the same FIN as before?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 4:42 pm

Correct.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 8:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 02 Nov 2021 4:42 pm
Correct.
One guy in our office who has had 3 separate expat assignments in Singapore over his lifetime told me as much… each time he comes back they remember him and he gets the same FIN.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 9:59 pm

S was for second millennium. T is for third.

F is for Foreigner, G logically follows. Not sure why they didn't flip to H though. I guess M for Manpower Ministry issued as opposed to ICA.

I had an F number before I got my S but have no idea what it was.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!