Singapore Expats Forum

New car or used car?Which would you buy?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

zcarz

New car or used car?Which would you buy?

Postby zcarz » Thu, 20 May 2004 1:22 am

I'm juz wondering,everyone's buying new car,so who buys used cars?What are your views?Do you buy used or new car?Care to elaborate or share any views?

jivintan
Regular
Regular

Postby jivintan » Thu, 20 May 2004 2:21 pm

For cars exceeding 2 yrs old, these cars will be most probably be exported. If no demand, they will be sold in second market as used cars. Buyers of these used cars are usually those who do not have the means to pay the downpayment and the high monthly instalments for new cars. But i think high % of the used cars now are scrapped as their rebates could be high enough to offset their loan and top up a bit to buy brand new car as COE now is cheaper than in the past. - personal point of view.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 20 May 2004 8:37 pm

Short answer - I would'nt buy a car in Singapore...

It way too expensive if your are an expat who will only live here for a few years.... :?

Though that said, there are deals that allow you to afford a new car by monthly payments but when you think about the instant money lost after purchase or when you break even on the repayments to get a new car I can't see the logic in it...

The Buses and MRT in Singapore are great and taxis are pretty cheap - Why get all the extra hassles of ERP, expensive parking fees, etc, etc??? :roll:

guest002

Postby guest002 » Thu, 20 May 2004 9:33 pm

I second you Bafana. I would not want to buy or drive a car in Singapore because the public transport is very reliable. The only thing is,if you are carrying many things and is on standing position in a crowded bus or MRT dont be surprized to see some people who pretend to be asleep around you while you are beside them struggling.

Public transport in Singapore is reliable compared to Englands'.....