Singapore Expats

Health insurance upon retirement for expats?

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Health insurance upon retirement for expats?

Post by malcontent » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:59 am

That’s the thing about insurance, there are so many exclusions in the fine print, you can’t really count on it for everything - so I always self-insure where possible and keep insurance to what is absolutely necessary.

For me, retirement is either US or SG, other locations are unlikely. Guam looks interesting, but that’s still US.

For US it’s company insurance until 65 then switch to Medicare.

For SG, primary cover would be IP via CPF Medisave, but also keep Medicare going in case there’s something beyond coverage limits or beyond Singapore’s capability (this actually happened to someone I know, Singapore lacked both the expertise and equipment for a rare but curable disease. It would have been a disaster has they not been able to fly to the US).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

hershey

Post by hershey » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:08 pm

x9200 wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 9:52 am

Again, why should I care what are these plans designed for if the plan is good for Singapore? It seems it is more important to you what the plan is called rather than what it can deliver.
I use such plan for many years living in Singapore and found it superior also in terms of value for money to any so called local plans. I started with local ones 2 decades ago and found them not sufficient for the protection they provided. The fact that my current plan also covers oversees expenses is just an extra benefit.
Friend, I'm just answering the question you asked. Why so hostile?

Also the "international" plans have broader coverage like non-hospitalization doctor visits. Most local insurance agents won't even know what this means. Broader coverage means higher costs of course.

hershey

Post by hershey » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:10 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:59 am
For US it’s company insurance until 65 then switch to Medicare.

For SG, primary cover would be IP via CPF Medisave, but also keep Medicare going in case there’s something beyond coverage limits or beyond Singapore’s capability (this actually happened to someone I know, Singapore lacked both the expertise and equipment for a rare but curable disease. It would have been a disaster has they not been able to fly to the US).
Thanks, this is useful input, and I guess you have to look at the public insurance of your home country.

The fine print in insurance policies is not actually so fine. The reputable insurers have policies that are actually readable if you sit down and concentrate.

hershey

Post by hershey » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:12 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 1:31 am

It's absolutely f*cking correct. Most plans do not guarantee evacuation to your country of residence without special riders and additional cost.
Can you wash your mouth and stop cursing?

Which part of "some plans" was not clear? Top plans like Cigna have evacuation back to your country of residence, but again, you have to pay for what you get.

hershey

Post by hershey » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:14 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:43 am

So basically, the "international" plans tend to short change you?
So basically, you should read what you are buying and confirm the input of strangers on the internet.

Repatriation to your home country instead of the nearest good hospital is an "advanced" feature, I don't think most travel insurance policies even offer this. But it exists in the "advanced" policies, you just have to check.

Not "short change" by any definition.
Last edited by hershey on Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:16 pm

hershey wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:08 pm
x9200 wrote:

Again, why should I care what are these plans designed for if the plan is good for Singapore? It seems it is more important to you what the plan is called rather than what it can deliver.
I use such plan for many years living in Singapore and found it superior also in terms of value for money to any so called local plans. I started with local ones 2 decades ago and found them not sufficient for the protection they provided. The fact that my current plan also covers oversees expenses is just an extra benefit.

Also the "international" plans have broader coverage like non-hospitalization doctor visits. Most local insurance agents won't even know what this means. Broader coverage means higher costs of course.
Just skimmed through a few posts. I chose to reply to this one and not your reply to me. Part of why you are facing some hostility is perhaps the tone of your own replies. Like your reply to me.

sp786
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Post by sp786 » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:18 pm

Have you tried contacting the insurance companies themselves? You could also try to speak insurance agents called "financial advisors" who would help find what you want.

hershey

Post by hershey » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:21 pm

sp786 wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:18 pm
Have you tried contacting the insurance companies themselves? You could also try to speak insurance agents called "financial advisors" who would help find what you want.
They wouldn't know unless they have specific experience with the countries involved. For example, if you are an American expat working in Singapore but thinking you will retire in the USA or Guam, it would take a very specific agent to advise you on all the parts of the plan you want.

Asking a typical local insurance agent about this is a painful experience.
Last edited by hershey on Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:21 pm

sp786 wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:18 pm
Agreed. I keep getting contacted on LinkedIn by advisors who claim to specialize in expat matters. I haven't indulged them because I don't consider myself an expat. I'm rooted enough to consider myself not requiring expat advice. But I can definitely see why someone would need such a consultant.

hershey

Post by hershey » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:25 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:26 am
I broke an ankle riding dirt bikes down the Ho Chi Minh trail. Evacuation to Singapore was not an option. Saigon, yes, Bangkok, maybe, if I bitched enough. Singapore, no.
I don't understand... do you need international medical evacuation for a broken ankle?

This is a health or travel insurance rider that goes up to air ambulances. I'm not sure if even a platinum international policy would give medical evacuation for a broken ankle.

hershey

Post by hershey » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:29 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:21 pm
I keep getting contacted on LinkedIn by advisors who claim to specialize in expat matters.
[sanitized by moderator] seems to be the only accessible Singapore option for expats and people who want to spend more for broader "international" health insurance plans. There may be good solo agents who know broader health insurance plans, but my friends and I have not found them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:56 pm

Is this the pitch?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 3:38 pm

hershey wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:08 pm
x9200 wrote:

I am a bit less friendly than usual for the reason the other posters already mentioned or pointed to - you seem to act as an insurance agent trying to sell some product and you are not really that friendly yourself. You didn't answers my questions, you just sticked to some marketing slogans without providing any proper insight. If you were honestly interested in discussion about different products or options I would expect to have it based on the content and not on the names. The names don't matter, only the content (coverage) does.

hershey

Post by hershey » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 7:25 pm

x9200 wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 3:38 pm
You didn't answers my questions, you just sticked to some marketing slogans without providing any proper insight.
What marketing slogans are you talking about?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 12 Jul 2021 8:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:56 pm
Is this the pitch?
Am I going to be getting hershey squirts on this porcelain bus?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr