Singapore Expats

Safe distancing in restaurants

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Safe distancing in restaurants

Post by abbby » Sat, 10 Jul 2021 10:58 am

Been reading quite a few cases on restaurants not adhering to safe distance of 1m between patrons. If that happens, and customers get fine, isn't that unfair? Shouldn't restaurants be the one to bear the fines?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Safe distancing in restaurants

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Jul 2021 1:53 pm

How would you implement that in a hawker center where there are multiple vendors and free seating, e.g., not reserved for any specific vendor?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 10 Jul 2021 2:48 pm

abbby wrote:
Sat, 10 Jul 2021 10:58 am
Been reading quite a few cases on restaurants not adhering to safe distance of 1m between patrons. If that happens, and customers get fine, isn't that unfair? Shouldn't restaurants be the one to bear the fines?
Does it really happen thta way? I mean, the customers get fined because they followed the measures implemented by the restaurants? Or rather, they were fined because:
1) there were no measures at all and they failed to keep the safe distance, or
2) they violated/ignored the measures?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 11 Jul 2021 11:35 pm

abbby wrote:
I doubt the customers would be the ones fined. In most dining establishments post-covid, many restaurants have turned away from “self-seating” and instead have a host usher diners to their seats. If this is the case, the fault is the restaurant’s, not the customers and they should be the ones fined instead.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 11 Jul 2021 11:36 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 10 Jul 2021 2:48 pm
abbby wrote:
Does it really happen thta way? I mean, the customers get fined because they followed the measures implemented by the restaurants? Or rather, they were fined because:
1) there were no measures at all and they failed to keep the safe distance, or
2) they violated/ignored the measures?
The only way I can see diners being fined is if they intentionally flouted safe distancing measures and refused to cooperate with staff upon being told.