Singapore Expats

Does the government consider race when granting PR?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Does the government consider race when granting PR?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 06 Jul 2021 7:46 pm

Cameron_ wrote:
Sat, 03 Jul 2021 5:22 pm
MOCHS wrote:
Sat, 03 Jul 2021 5:19 pm
There’s the CMIO race quota (Chinese, Malay, Indian, Others) to maintain the social fabric of Singapore. Majority of the quota is allocated to the Chinese, then Malays, followed by Indians, and the smallest percentage goes to Others.

So, imagine if you’re in the Others quota and (for example) 1000 PR is granted to Others every year but 5000 Others applicants apply for PR in one particular year, then there’s only a 20% chance of success.
Is there any data available on the the number of "Others" living in Singapore as non-residents, or any data on how many others apply for PR? I'm trying to get a rough idea of my odds of getting PR in the distant future, and I'm having a hard time finding any data. The SG gov's census website only showed ethnic data for residents, which makes it difficult to gauge how many people from a given ethic group apply per year.
There are roughly 25,000 to 30,000 PR's award per year. Of the race ratios we know that Singapore uses migration to counter the low TFR in the Chinese pop'n and to grow population (I can't cite the report right now but I've seen this laid out in their white papers and reported on this forum before) hence you cannot use the existing race ratios (76, 15, 7.4 nd a measly 1.5% for "others") in exact proportion work out the 'bucket size' available for each race as the Chinese bucket needs to be bigger. However my assumption is that the India bucket is taking the brunt right now thanks to the CECA cockup and is heavily downsized - that might leave 2% available for others which at 25,000 p.a. means only 500 successful "other" PR's awarded and maybe only 250?

Of those they are mostly breeders or potential breeders and a tiny balance of superstars and a fairly heft tilt towards family ties basis as well. A 50 yo PTS Single caucasian applicant from the finance industry would have almost no chance for example.

I've written and analyzed this before but I'm going to add a new twist - I think the RACE of your spouse in the Family Ties PR category may also matter. If you're married to a Chinese because your kids can now legally call themselves "Chinese" and not something else that may go in your favour.

Does that help?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Tue, 06 Jul 2021 7:54 pm

Contrary to your suggestion, the gahmen today disagrees that it’s a cockup, far from it. In fact, it creates jobs, specifically good/great jobs.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 06 Jul 2021 7:56 pm

the observer wrote:
Tue, 06 Jul 2021 7:54 pm
Contrary to your suggestion, the gahmen today disagrees that it’s a cockup, far from it. In fact, it creates jobs, specifically good/great jobs.
I assume you're being sarcastic?

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Tue, 06 Jul 2021 8:10 pm

“CECA reduces tariff barriers, which made Singapore goods more competitive in the Indian market. And partly because of that, bilateral trade between Singapore and India has grown by over 80 per cent, from S$20 billion when CECA came into force in 2005 to S$38 billion in 2019.

And similarly, Singapore’s direct investment abroad in India grew by 50 times, from S$1.3 billion to S$61 billion during the same period. In 2019, 660 companies from Singapore have investments in India, almost double the number a decade ago.

As these companies grow regionally, they hire more people back home. And in 2019, they employed 97,000 locals.”

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... n-15164076

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 06 Jul 2021 8:15 pm

https://www.statista.com/statistics/102 ... countries/

Depends how you view it - it's good to most people. Or a total eff up if you are from edmw...

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Tue, 06 Jul 2021 8:18 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 06 Jul 2021 7:56 pm
the observer wrote:
Tue, 06 Jul 2021 7:54 pm
I assume you're being sarcastic?
It might come off as sarcasm.

I’m actually being factual that he’s said so, with the quote pasted above, with the cna link.

;)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 07 Jul 2021 1:00 am

I would also assume that when handing out PRs they would have factored in the ratio of stayers vs quitters, and since “others” would have a higher churn, a larger allocation should be possible without violating the CIMO status quo in the long run.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 07 Jul 2021 9:16 am

Maybe not a quitter's ratio but a PR to SC ratio is used.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 07 Jul 2021 10:34 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 07 Jul 2021 9:16 am
Maybe not a quitter's ratio but a PR to SC ratio is used.
Or some of both. I'm a guy that was granted PR and who gave it up after 6 years... one year after my REP.

Or, if PR is considered a stepping stone to citizenship, I bet there are a lot of nationalities that won't give up their current citizenship for Singapore citizenship... USA, Australia, UK, for example. That has to be a factor in number of PR's awarded. I think I only got mine because of a business that was making money.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 07 Jul 2021 11:05 pm

I could be wrong, but it seems like in the last decade PR has become more geared toward those intended for future citizenry. That seems to be leaving more and more long-term residents on EP.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Addadude » Fri, 09 Jul 2021 9:38 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Wed, 07 Jul 2021 10:34 pm
Or, if PR is considered a stepping stone to citizenship, I bet there are a lot of nationalities that won't give up their current citizenship for Singapore citizenship... USA, Australia, UK, for example.
There's one character on Linked In, a former Brit, who's very proudly and loudly boasted about giving up UK citizenship to get that pink IC. To be honest, this is something I am considering for myself as well because of personal circumstance.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Fri, 09 Jul 2021 5:19 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 07 Jul 2021 11:05 pm
I could be wrong, but it seems like in the last decade PR has become more geared toward those intended for future citizenry.
Yes, almost exclusively so.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Fri, 09 Jul 2021 5:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Jul 2021 11:28 pm

ICA reckons they need 30K new PRs annually to be able to generate 20K SGC annually to make up the birth shortfall due to the lowest TFR in the world here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 09 Jul 2021 11:51 pm

It is surprising how many convert. But it is needed, Singapore born Singaporeans are becoming more and more rare… already less that half the population. I think quite a few would prefer a smaller population here - it’s still crowded, even with no tourists and many staying at home!