Singapore Expats

Watching a movie in the cinema

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Watching a movie in the cinema

Post by abbby » Thu, 22 Jul 2021 9:41 pm

Prior to 22 July didn't need covid pre testing and there were seats in twos and separated in between which was really good..and max cap. was like 40-50 cos thre front few rows were empty...

Not sure about 22 Jul onwards, i read online pre-testing is required.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 2:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 12:30 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 10:33 am
Max Headroom wrote:
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 9:56 am

Bring a big sack of gold. You'll get a shock when you see how much they charge for a movie ticket nowadays.
Pricing is ridiculous. Upwards of $40, and thats not even including snacks or drinks.
Serious? I'll wait for it on Netflix or Prime then, can also eat and know I'm with somebody! While it doesn't pertain to me, how are young people even supposed to get to know somebody else? I can see the TFR going down to .5 in 10 years time. Damn glad I'm not in my 20~30's anymore. But it also sucks being 3.5x that age as well!!!!
They’ve got senior pricing, but an adult ticket is ridiculously expensive.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 2:41 am

x9200 wrote:
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 2:18 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Max Headroom wrote:
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 9:56 am

Bring a big sack of gold. You'll get a shock when you see how much they charge for a movie ticket nowadays.
Pricing is ridiculous. Upwards of $40, and thats not even including snacks or drinks.

Per person? Last time when I was in the cinema, year ago or so, it was ca SGD13-15 per ticket. I quickly checked GV and still see it in that range.
The price I’m referring to is for Gold Class, not regular seating.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 2:43 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 4:26 pm
x9200 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Per person? Last time when I was in the cinema, year ago or so, it was ca SGD13-15 per ticket. I quickly checked GV and still see it in that range.

Gold class in GV is 43$. But with HSBC card , u can get for 34.5$.

Since last year, we only saw 5-6 movies but we chose to go to Suntec City Gv gold class to reduce interaction. I kinda like it now. Altho can’t do it every week.
Even for $35, it’s ridiculous. Fun to go once in a while, but not sustainable to watch as and when a new film comes out.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 8:41 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 25 Jul 2021 2:43 am
midlet2013 wrote:
x9200 wrote:

Since last year, we only saw 5-6 movies but we chose to go to Suntec City Gv gold class to reduce interaction. I kinda like it now. Altho can’t do it every week.
Even for $35, it’s ridiculous. Fun to go once in a while, but not sustainable to watch as and when a new film comes out.

Ya its a bit overpriced compared to other countries. Since last year, we saw maybe 7-8 movies in 1.5 years so one movie per 2 months or so. Not all were worth it for the price.

Now, I only go for Gold Class when I feel the movie is worth it and has good reviews. For the time being, I am not going to the normal cinema cuz I feel its not worth it to risk just for a movie.

But then some I cant resist. So occasional Gold Class is ok for me.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 4:32 pm

I've never been to Gold class because it's just way too expensive..
Hows the experience of Gold class? Food not included I guess..?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 9:46 pm

abbby wrote:
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 9:41 pm
Prior to 22 July didn't need covid pre testing and there were seats in twos and separated in between which was really good..and max cap. was like 40-50 cos thre front few rows were empty...

Not sure about 22 Jul onwards, i read online pre-testing is required.
I wasn’t aware of any testing requirements, a google search also returned no results.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 9:47 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Sun, 25 Jul 2021 8:41 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 25 Jul 2021 2:43 am
midlet2013 wrote:

Ya its a bit overpriced compared to other countries. Since last year, we saw maybe 7-8 movies in 1.5 years so one movie per 2 months or so. Not all were worth it for the price.

Now, I only go for Gold Class when I feel the movie is worth it and has good reviews. For the time being, I am not going to the normal cinema cuz I feel its not worth it to risk just for a movie.

But then some I cant resist. So occasional Gold Class is ok for me.
Same here. I only go for Gold Class when it’s a special/historic movie, like Avengers Endgame or Parasite.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 25 Jul 2021 9:48 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 25 Jul 2021 4:32 pm
I've never been to Gold class because it's just way too expensive..
Hows the experience of Gold class? Food not included I guess..?
Nothing too special, seats are larger, more comfy, and further apart. There’s also a nice Gold Class lounge for you to wait in before the movie starts. Food is lackluster, and pretty expensive (upwards of $10 per dish), I’d much rather just go for the popcorn.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 26 Jul 2021 1:22 am

I probably haven’t been to a cinema in at least 10 years.

Going out to the movies is one activity in Singapore where the price has always been very similar if not the same as the US.

I just checked movie tickets back home, at the typical mainstream theatre in the US, standard tickets are S$12 for matinee and S$16 for evening.

However, there are cheaper theaters in the US, these are usually older and less conveniently
located, but still playing the latest box office hits. I just checked and the price range there is S$3.50-S$5.50, it’s basically the same price you’d get across the border in Malaysia.

You might be surprised to know that popcorn and drinks in Singapore are cheaper than in the US, typically it costs as much as the movie ticket (per person) for popcorn and a drink. Here they have a package deal and it’s less than the ticket price, quite a bit cheaper.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 26 Jul 2021 9:04 am

Mal, do cinemas in the US consistently start their movies 20 minutes later than the announced times, forcing you to sit through a barrage of braincell-murdering commercials?

Edit: edit.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 26 Jul 2021 9:38 am

No, that part is different - the only advertising (if you can call it that) is at most 2-3 coming attractions, i.e. new movies that will be released in the coming months. That’s all from my recollection.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Jul 2021 8:27 pm

I think the last time I went to a movie in the US they were still showing a monthly newsreel before the movie!!!! Been a long, long time ago!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 26 Jul 2021 10:47 pm

Yeah, the old movie reels, they still had them when I was a kid.

You should try going to the movies again after covid clears up - wait until a real blockbuster comes out. At least the sound system and picture quality is much improved.

I’d recommend Lido Shaw, they used to be (hopefully still are) the only ones that had real butter for popcorn (no extra charge), but you have to ask - and I always seemed to be the only one in line that did. I can’t enjoy it without butter! Just don’t expect any Junior Mints or Milk Duds.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 28 Jul 2021 6:46 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 26 Jul 2021 1:22 am
I probably haven’t been to a cinema in at least 10 years.

Going out to the movies is one activity in Singapore where the price has always been very similar if not the same as the US.

I just checked movie tickets back home, at the typical mainstream theatre in the US, standard tickets are S$12 for matinee and S$16 for evening.

However, there are cheaper theaters in the US, these are usually older and less conveniently
located, but still playing the latest box office hits. I just checked and the price range there is S$3.50-S$5.50, it’s basically the same price you’d get across the border in Malaysia.

You might be surprised to know that popcorn and drinks in Singapore are cheaper than in the US, typically it costs as much as the movie ticket (per person) for popcorn and a drink. Here they have a package deal and it’s less than the ticket price, quite a bit cheaper.
The last time I went to an American theater was December 2019, popcorn was actually cheaper than it is here ($8 for a huge bucket, unlimited refills). Drinks were also much cheaper, and free flow ($3-5 depending on size).