Singapore Expats

Has anyone lived near a graveyard before?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Has anyone lived near a graveyard before?

Post by abbby » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 4:10 pm

Out of curiousity, if you've lived near one before..how was the experience?

I had a friend who just rented a place near a graveyard area..and she loves the vibes, which I find a little odd. Though the unit looked quite nice.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Search By

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Has anyone lived near a graveyard before?

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 6:20 pm

Back in Florida, I lived by a graveyard for a bit. U would sometimes get a little uneasy when going home at night, but never experienced anything paranormal. It was a very peaceful and quiet place.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 6:46 pm

Bishan, Orchard, Tiong Bahru, Bidadari are examples of places built on land that once housed cemeteries... Now they are prime real estate lol.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 7:28 pm

Back in Bangalore. The university hostel was built on an old graveyard. We did experience what seemed to be paranormal activity although it's very hard to prove.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 7:47 pm

My mother lives next to a park that was an old evangelical cemetery with last burials around 1840. Seems long time ago, but when I was in primary and they had to dig some trenches to lay water pipes I remember the bones, sculls, they where everywhere. At that time individual graves where still visible in a number of places (gravestones where earlier removed), and only later I think all the bodies where exhumed and re-burried somewhere else. Somehow nobody cared, I mean living close the park or passing through it at night. But it could be a different experience seeing tombstones, or freshly dug grave from your window every night :) What is unlikely the case in modern Singapore anyway.

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Post by Jgrif96229 » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 1:39 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 6:20 pm
Back in Florida, I lived by a graveyard for a bit. U would sometimes get a little uneasy when going home at night, but never experienced anything paranormal. It was a very peaceful and quiet place.
We are from Florida too. Yes our house had a lovely view of the cemetery across the street. It made a great backdrop for our Halloween parties on the second story veranda. Most be a Florida thing for living by cemeteries.
Joseph griffin

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:42 pm

Jgrif96229 wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 1:39 am
Lisafuller wrote:
We are from Florida too. Yes our house had a lovely view of the cemetery across the street. It made a great backdrop for our Halloween parties on the second story veranda. Most be a Florida thing for living by cemeteries.
Nice! Whereabouts are you from?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:43 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 6:46 pm
Bishan, Orchard, Tiong Bahru, Bidadari are examples of places built on land that once housed cemeteries... Now they are prime real estate lol.
My daughter goes to RI in Bishan. The school swimming pool is famously just short of 50m in length because when the contractors were digging to build the pool they found a bunch of old skulls and bones, probably left behind from the graveyard which the school was built over.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:44 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 7:28 pm
Back in Bangalore. The university hostel was built on an old graveyard. We did experience what seemed to be paranormal activity although it's very hard to prove.
Scary, what did you see?

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Post by Jgrif96229 » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 9:32 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:42 pm
Jgrif96229 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Downtown west palm beach by the K
Kravis center. Anyone else in Singapore from South Florida?
Joseph griffin

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 26 Jun 2021 2:44 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:44 pm
smoulder wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 7:28 pm
Scary, what did you see?
Me personally. There was one incident.

So there were 3 of us in a room which was fairly large. Our room was right at the end of a long hallway. 2 of us had our beds on either side of the door and the 3rd guy was at the opposite end beside the window.

So this 3rd guy, we'll call him R was a bit absent minded. One night R went out for a walk and came back quite late. I guess the other 2 (2nd guy - K, and me) had fallen asleep already. So basically R came back and got into his bed - he forgot to lock the door.

Now R used to keep his keys under his mattress. I have no idea what he was hoarding in his closet. So anyway, some time around 5 am, K and I were woken up by R's screams. Someone had broken into the room and was reaching for R's keys which were under his mattress.

The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was the door wide open and a guy dressed in all white and barefooted - white shirt with long sleeves rolled up to his elbows and a kind of white sarong (called lungi which is traditionally worn there) folded up to above his knees. So the first thing I saw when my eyes opened was this guy running out of the door and taking a right turn towards the staircase. We were on level 2.

So K and I jumped up and ran out of the door chasing him. When I stepped out of the door, there was no one. So we searched the whole building but found no such person.

I doubt anyone could have been that quick to have made it to the staircase and run down 2 flights of stairs, exited the building and then disappeared out of sight and no one saw or heard him except for that initial glimpse as he turned out of the doorway. Moreover, there was another guy, B, 3 rooms down the hallway from us and his door happened to be open. He had woken up early and when he heard the commotion he walked out of his room to see what had happened. He didn't see anyone except K and I running out of our room.

So anyway, we thought nothing of it at the time except that we were pissed off that we couldn't catch him and beat the crap out of him. It was only much later when we sat down with B for a few beers that we realized that it was really quite extraordinary that the thief had just managed to escape in such a short time without being seen by us when we stepped out of the door.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sat, 26 Jun 2021 5:16 pm

Interesting stories!
I read up and I was probably too young to have seen these places, but Orchard Road (where Ngee Ann City is) was a cemetery as well. So was Holland Village, Victoria Park and Sixth Avenue. And I believe Holland Village was reclaimed by the government and the tombstones were relocated to Commonwealth (where the petrol station is).

A friend told me of her colleagues with horror stories whilst working in the Orchard vicinity where 'doors would bang' at night and they would 'hear sounds' on the night shifts.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Jun 2021 8:07 pm

The Braddell underground MRT station sits in the middle of an old cemetary and most of the elderly hate having to use that station. When it first opened there were lots of stories of strange noises/voices and supposedly apprarations.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 26 Jun 2021 10:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 26 Jun 2021 8:07 pm
The Braddell underground MRT station sits in the middle of an old cemetary and most of the elderly hate having to use that station. When it first opened there were lots of stories of strange noises/voices and supposedly apprarations.
Doesn’t help that it’s dimly lit and stuffy, with lights flickering nearly every day.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 26 Jun 2021 10:40 pm

Jgrif96229 wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 9:32 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:42 pm
Jgrif96229 wrote:

Downtown west palm beach by the K
Kravis center. Anyone else in Singapore from South Florida?
Nice! I’m from Miami, Kendall specifically.