Swiss School

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
Misek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 4:59 am

Re: Swiss School

Post by Misek » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:47 am

Thanks for all the answers. Now I am left with two valid options for the neighborhood and the school, good news!

Is it feasible to live without cars in Sixth Avenue or Serangoon Gardens? I have read on several websited that it may be complicated to rely only on public transport (with two small kids I don't think that taxis are a reasonable solution either).

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Swiss School

Post by malcontent » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 8:24 am

Although a car is never an absolute necessity here, I would say the time when it is most desirous to have one is when you have kids - especially young kids. I would also say this desirability has been amplified recently during Covid - no mask required in your own vehicle with your own household members. Our first 10 years here, we had no kids and no car. It’s just not worth it. But since we’ve had kids, my wife has always had a car - and she has become something of a soccer mom… always on the go - can’t imagine her not having a car. It is certainly a major convenience, not just in Singapore but prior to Covid, being able to drive to Malaysia makes for a nice getaway too.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8184
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Swiss School

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 9:18 am

If you have the wherewithal I would get a car.

Lease one by the month if you're not sure.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Swiss School

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:20 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 8:10 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:59 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:51 pm
Its full of filthy Aussies.
I thought it was mostly the French that live in the area, is that no longer the case?
It maybe both. The Aussie school is close which attracts the Aussies. P
I see, makes sense. The times that I’ve been there I noticed a lot of friends children, French businesses, and even one or two French bakeries.

Lisafuller
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Swiss School

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:21 pm

Misek wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:47 am
Thanks for all the answers. Now I am left with two valid options for the neighborhood and the school, good news!

Is it feasible to live without cars in Sixth Avenue or Serangoon Gardens? I have read on several websited that it may be complicated to rely only on public transport (with two small kids I don't think that taxis are a reasonable solution either).
With two young children, it’s a good idea to have a car. Just for convenience sake, it would make a big difference.

Lisafuller
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Swiss School

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:23 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 8:24 am
Although a car is never an absolute necessity here, I would say the time when it is most desirous to have one is when you have kids - especially young kids. I would also say this desirability has been amplified recently during Covid - no mask required in your own vehicle with your own household members. Our first 10 years here, we had no kids and no car. It’s just not worth it. But since we’ve had kids, my wife has always had a car - and she has become something of a soccer mom… always on the go - can’t imagine her not having a car. It is certainly a major convenience, not just in Singapore but prior to Covid, being able to drive to Malaysia makes for a nice getaway too.
Exactly. As adults, a car is not really necessary. The public transport system is very advanced and intricate, and it’s relatively easy to get around. But with kids, it’s much more sensible to have a car because you don’t want to be wrangling all your children in the middle of an MRT station and worrying about having to ferry them from place to place.

Lisafuller
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Swiss School

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:24 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 9:18 am
If you have the wherewithal I would get a car.

Lease one by the month if you're not sure.
Exactly. Ordinarily the worry when it comes to leasing is that you’re left with no equity at the end of the day, but if your company is paying for it or you have the means, who cares?

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Swiss School

Post by malcontent » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 7:31 pm

You also have to be a bit more flexible and/or plan ahead when you don’t have a car… just try booking a taxi here when it’s raining. All of the regular bus and train goers (about half the of the island’s population) are willing to pay a premium to avoid getting drenched - and as you can imagine, demand quickly outstrips supply.

User avatar
tay.how
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 11:18 am

Re: Swiss School

Post by tay.how » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 11:26 am

Hi Misek,
according to Bloomberg news today, Singapore is one of the country in South East Asia that is recovering fast from Covid-19. I believe you did a good choice coming to Singapore. On the part of transport, good to choose a house that is near to the school if this is your concern once you confirmed the school your kids are getting in. The house you rented or buy can be walking distance if you want and hopefully this is also not far from your workplace if you need to travel...... 😁

Lisafuller
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Swiss School

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:26 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 7:31 pm
You also have to be a bit more flexible and/or plan ahead when you don’t have a car… just try booking a taxi here when it’s raining. All of the regular bus and train goers (about half the of the island’s population) are willing to pay a premium to avoid getting drenched - and as you can imagine, demand quickly outstrips supply.
Exactly, it’s an absolute nightmare.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38424
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 3
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Swiss School

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Jun 2021 1:19 am

tay.how wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 11:26 am
Hi Misek,
according to Bloomberg news today, Singapore is one of the country in South East Asia that is recovering fast from Covid-19. I believe you did a good choice coming to Singapore. On the part of transport, good to choose a house that is near to the school if this is your concern once you confirmed the school your kids are getting in. The house you rented or buy can be walking distance if you want and hopefully this is also not far from your workplace if you need to travel...... 😁
My spidey sense just went off.......tic...toc...tic....
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “International Schools”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest