Singapore Expats

Losing 8kg in 3 months?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
x9200

Re: Losing 8kg in 3 months?

Post by x9200 » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:38 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:10 pm
x9200 wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 4:29 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 3:34 pm

Carbs in general, actually. I’ve swapped out my rice for cauliflower rice. It’s not quite the same, but nothing good comes without sacrifice.
Yes, but rice is treacherous. There are studies suggesting links with high risk of diabetes (and some other diseases) with consumption of rice in SEA.
Really? I’ll have to look into it.
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/43/11/2625
It's not a clear cut and there may be some extra association, for example with factors arising from malnutrition (other food deficits), or maybe even race.
In line with the PURE study results for South Asia, higher refined grain consumption was strongly associated with higher diabetes risk in a South Indian cohort study (13). The lack of association between rice consumption and diabetes risk in China agrees with previous findings for Singapore Chinese and Japanese men (9,11) but not for women in Shanghai and Japan (8,9).

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:41 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:13 pm
x9200 wrote:
The mentioned cauliflower rice is probably as close as it gets.
(White) rice is too easy to digest, so it converts well to simple sugars contributing to the problems.
And it’s easy to make as well. Just put cooked cauliflower into a food processor and blitz.
Or just buy ready:
https://www.amazon.sg/s?k=cauliflower+rice
It's getting increasingly popular.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 7:00 pm

x9200 wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:38 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
x9200 wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 4:29 pm

Yes, but rice is treacherous. There are studies suggesting links with high risk of diabetes (and some other diseases) with consumption of rice in SEA.
Really? I’ll have to look into it.
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/43/11/2625
It's not a clear cut and there may be some extra association, for example with factors arising from malnutrition (other food deficits), or maybe even race.
In line with the PURE study results for South Asia, higher refined grain consumption was strongly associated with higher diabetes risk in a South Indian cohort study (13). The lack of association between rice consumption and diabetes risk in China agrees with previous findings for Singapore Chinese and Japanese men (9,11) but not for women in Shanghai and Japan (8,9).
I see, either way, never a good idea to go so heavy on carbs.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 7:01 pm

x9200 wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:41 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:13 pm
x9200 wrote:
The mentioned cauliflower rice is probably as close as it gets.
(White) rice is too easy to digest, so it converts well to simple sugars contributing to the problems.
And it’s easy to make as well. Just put cooked cauliflower into a food processor and blitz.
Or just buy ready:
https://www.amazon.sg/s?k=cauliflower+rice
It's getting increasingly popular.
I never tried ready-made cauliflower rice, I’ve got plenty of time on my hands for now anyway so I enjoy making it from home. But I imagine when it comes time to resume work physically, this will be a good option to prepare in a pinch.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 9:24 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 3:33 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 1:10 pm
start by quitting sugar and salt. 2 kg gone in 10 days.
Hard to cut out salt, most food is rather bland without it, and when ordering outside, it’s hard to ask for no salt. Sugar on the other hand, I can do without.
Lisa, cutting salt & sugar is the easiest thing to do. Salt withdrawal will take about 4 days. Sugar is self-explanatory (but fruit sugars are okay, carbs sugars are not but I'm not even starting on carbs, just a quick way to jump-start you weight loss.

Salt is a mineral compound that is actually poison to the human body. When you take in Salt (sodium chloride - NaCl) into the body the body's defense mechanism tries to isolate it from the body itself. It does this with water. The more salt you intake the more the body will retain water to surround the salt. To give you an example, have you ever seen hides brought in from safari's? once skinned out they are salted and then rolled up. when unrolled you will find all the meat and fatty tissue dried out by the salt. Or eat a bag of potato chips, then how does your lips feels all dried out. first thing you do is grab liquid to rehydrate your lips, tongue inner cheeks and throat. With water? nah, usually with something with sugar in it just to add to the dilemma. Salt is poison.

If you cut carbs, your salt intake will reduce as well if you are a potato eater (french fried anybody). And vegetables you away put salt in the pot of water. Actually if you eat green leafy vegetables, you will find that a lot of local vegetables have a rather nice taste without anything, no salt or soy (which is liquid salt). One of my favourite vegetables today is Kailan. But Brocolli and Asparagus are #2 & #1 for me. But for the last 13 years I don't cook with salt, soy or sugar. As I said, once you get through the withdrawal period, it's easy.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 9:50 pm

Mother's get the biggest blame for our salt dependencies. Rather than having the patience with kids eating habits, the put salt on it cause it taste's good. It gets burned into the brain at an early age and it's hard to break.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:30 pm

Wed, 23 Jun 2021 9:24 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 3:33 pm
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 1:10 pm
start by quitting sugar and salt. 2 kg gone in 10 days.
Hard to cut out salt, most food is rather bland without it, and when ordering outside, it’s hard to ask for no salt. Sugar on the other hand, I can do without.
Lisa, cutting salt & sugar is the easiest thing to do. Salt withdrawal will take about 4 days. Sugar is self-explanatory (but fruit sugars are okay, carbs sugars are not but I'm not even starting on carbs, just a quick way to jump-start you weight loss.

Salt is a mineral compound that is actually poison to the human body. When you take in Salt (sodium chloride - NaCl) into the body the body's defense mechanism tries to isolate it from the body itself. It does this with water. The more salt you intake the more the body will retain water to surround the salt. To give you an example, have you ever seen hides brought in from safari's? once skinned out they are salted and then rolled up. when unrolled you will find all the meat and fatty tissue dried out by the salt. Or eat a bag of potato chips, then how does your lips feels all dried out. first thing you do is grab liquid to rehydrate your lips, tongue inner cheeks and throat. With water? nah, usually with something with sugar in it just to add to the dilemma. Salt is poison.

If you cut carbs, your salt intake will reduce as well if you are a potato eater (french fried anybody). And vegetables you away put salt in the pot of water. Actually if you eat green leafy vegetables, you will find that a lot of local vegetables have a rather nice taste without anything, no salt or soy (which is liquid salt). One of my favourite vegetables today is Kailan. But Brocolli and Asparagus are #2 & #1 for me. But for the last 13 years I don't cook with salt, soy or sugar. As I said, once you get through the withdrawal period, it's easy.
I’m about a week into keto, I’ve put in a huge effort to cut out sugar which was very difficult for me at the start. I’ve never really had too much salt in my diet so it has not been as difficult, but it’s just hard when I’m outside and try to order food without salt. It’s a request that sometimes cannot be accommodated so it’s limited my (dining out) food options drastically.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:31 pm

Wed, 23 Jun 2021 9:50 pm
Mother's get the biggest blame for our salt dependencies. Rather than having the patience with kids eating habits, the put salt on it cause it taste's good. It gets burned into the brain at an early age and it's hard to break.
When we return to the US, my daughters eating habits are drastically different from her cousins who dump table salt all over their food before even tasting it.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 6:44 pm

Exactly my point. And salt is much like nicotine as far as it's habit forming to the point of feeling like a dependency.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:37 pm

Definitely. A lot of our habits have a lot to do with upbringing.