Singapore Expats

internet/ network/wifi issues

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: internet/ network/wifi issues

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:17 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 9:21 am
You may want to try using the 5GHz band in WiFi.

With crowded condos the 2.4GHz band runs out of channels it seems and that leads to congestion.

You can set your router usually to have different names for each bandwidth (SSID). Pick the one with the 5GHz name on your laptop.
I’ve found that the 5G network in my house is actually slower than the regular WiFi, not sure why that’s the case.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:44 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:17 pm
PNGMK wrote:

With crowded condos the 2.4GHz band runs out of channels it seems and that leads to congestion.

You can set your router usually to have different names for each bandwidth (SSID). Pick the one with the 5GHz name on your laptop.
I’ve found that the 5G network in my house is actually slower than the regular WiFi, not sure why that’s the case.
5GHz is faster (as per the standard) but has less penetrating capabilities so if you have any solid objects between your router and (for example) laptop, it may easily end up with 2.4GHz being faster (solid objects absorb it less than 5GHz).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 6:26 pm

x9200 wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:44 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

5GHz is faster (as per the standard) but has less penetrating capabilities so if you have any solid objects between your router and (for example) laptop, it may easily end up with 2.4GHz being faster (solid objects absorb it less than 5GHz).
So interesting! There are a couple solid concrete walls between my devices and the router, so that probably explains it. Would getting an extension help?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 7:56 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 6:26 pm
x9200 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

So interesting! There are a couple solid concrete walls between my devices and the router, so that probably explains it. Would getting an extension help?
Only if your router and the extender literally could see each other (so there is no solid obstacle between them). If you install the extender in the place behind the walls most of the time you will get an excellent signal strength but the speed will remain low. What sort of speeds are you getting when you check with Ookla (https://www.speedtest.net/) near the router (no walls) and behind the walls?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 11:22 pm

I position my router near the ceiling and aligned with the hallway to the bedrooms… nothing fancy, just a cheap wireless router with no extenders - it seems to cover our entire home well.

I’m imagining the signal travels down the hallway and through the doors… but I’m no expert.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 12:31 am

Indeed... my semi-D in Watten Estates had interior walls that were all brick and plaster. Wifi signal propagation between floors was hopeless... had to have a wifi access point on each floor. 2.4 GHz could make it through about one wall.

Now, if you live in a modern condo, the walls probably aren't built that way, but chances are good that metal is present if you have a two floor setup, or perhaps has metal studs in the walls... which shouldn't matter too much.

Ethernet over powerline adapters worked great for me... YMMV... because they worked like crap in my house here in the USA. And yes, 2.4 is more penetrating, longer wavelength.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 3:16 pm

At our condo, like most here, the walls consist of plaster over hollow block. That definitely disrupts signals far more than drywall over 2x4’s (which is the most common type of wall inside US homes).

Between floors here, they seem to use concrete reinforced with rebar, so any home with multiple floors will probably need extenders, but you might get away with positioning the router in the stairwell between floors if it’s just two.

At my parents home in the US we just have one router in the basement and that covers the whole house really well, but not too far outside the house. They live in the sticks, so that probably helps too.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:33 pm

x9200 wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 7:56 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 6:26 pm
x9200 wrote:

Only if your router and the extender literally could see each other (so there is no solid obstacle between them). If you install the extender in the place behind the walls most of the time you will get an excellent signal strength but the speed will remain low. What sort of speeds are you getting when you check with Ookla (https://www.speedtest.net/) near the router (no walls) and behind the walls?
On the regular network, 7 ping ms, 48.35 mbps download, and 39.65 mbps upload. On the 5G network, 7 ping ms, 474 mbps download, 409 mbps upload. If the higher the number the faster the speed, 5G seems much better. Yet, the speed seems slower. Why could this be?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:34 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 11:22 pm
I position my router near the ceiling and aligned with the hallway to the bedrooms… nothing fancy, just a cheap wireless router with no extenders - it seems to cover our entire home well.

I’m imagining the signal travels down the hallway and through the doors… but I’m no expert.
My router is on the TV console, nothing special.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:35 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 12:31 am
Indeed... my semi-D in Watten Estates had interior walls that were all brick and plaster. Wifi signal propagation between floors was hopeless... had to have a wifi access point on each floor. 2.4 GHz could make it through about one wall.

Now, if you live in a modern condo, the walls probably aren't built that way, but chances are good that metal is present if you have a two floor setup, or perhaps has metal studs in the walls... which shouldn't matter too much.

Ethernet over powerline adapters worked great for me... YMMV... because they worked like crap in my house here in the USA. And yes, 2.4 is more penetrating, longer wavelength.
I live in a condo, but the walls are incredibly solid, definitely not hollow like drywall.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:36 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 3:16 pm
At our condo, like most here, the walls consist of plaster over hollow block. That definitely disrupts signals far more than drywall over 2x4’s (which is the most common type of wall inside US homes).

Between floors here, they seem to use concrete reinforced with rebar, so any home with multiple floors will probably need extenders, but you might get away with positioning the router in the stairwell between floors if it’s just two.

At my parents home in the US we just have one router in the basement and that covers the whole house really well, but not too far outside the house. They live in the sticks, so that probably helps too.
I think this is the case for me as well, the walls are completely solid. In my house in Miami, we needed an extension because the house was just far too big for the WiFi to cover all the ground.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 6:53 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 4:35 pm
I live in a condo, but the walls are incredibly solid, definitely not hollow like drywall.
I would be willing to bet that underneath the plaster on your walls you will find concrete hollow blocks (also called cinder blocks or hollow bricks), these are preformed concrete blocks and require the work of a mason to install. While it is longer lasting and far more sturdy than gypsum board or drywall, it takes a lot more to install and is more costly too.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 10:29 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 6:53 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
I would be willing to bet that underneath the plaster on your walls you will find concrete hollow blocks (also called cinder blocks or hollow bricks), these are preformed concrete blocks and require the work of a mason to install. While it is longer lasting and far more sturdy than gypsum board or drywall, it takes a lot more to install and is more costly too.
Also why there are few closets and other small rooms because of the difficulty of construction. Instead, each room has a wardrobe.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 10:54 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Fri, 25 Jun 2021 10:29 pm
malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Also why there are few closets and other small rooms because of the difficulty of construction. Instead, each room has a wardrobe.
Spot on, that’s exactly the layout in my unit.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 10:54 pm

malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
I’m not sure what the materials are exactly, but they are incredibly sturdy.