Singapore Expats

internet/ network/wifi issues

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
sanjeevshah16

internet/ network/wifi issues

Post by sanjeevshah16 » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 8:08 pm

We are having issues with our wifi network. M1 says internet is working and can't help with network/wifi issues. Anyone know of any technician who can resolve this? Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: internet/ network/wifi issues

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 11:04 pm

What issues? The simplest way to determine if you are having wifi propagation issues is to buy a long CAT5e cable and plug your router directly into the device with which you are having issues. If they go away, you know you have to deal with signal propagation issues.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Jun 2021 2:06 am

sanjeevshah16 wrote:
Mon, 21 Jun 2021 8:08 pm
We are having issues with our wifi network. M1 says internet is working and can't help with network/wifi issues. Anyone know of any technician who can resolve this? Any feedback will be much appreciated.
Not sure if this will work for you but whenever we are having a poor connection it usually helps to unplug all the wires or turn off all the switches and then plugging them in again.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Jun 2021 2:15 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 21 Jun 2021 11:04 pm
What issues? The simplest way to determine if you are having wifi propagation issues is to buy a long CAT5e cable and plug your router directly into the device with which you are having issues. If they go away, you know you have to deal with signal propagation issues.
Wow, that seems like it would be too complicated for the average joe, I don’t understand half of those terms. Where would someone find these things?

sanjeevshah16

Post by sanjeevshah16 » Tue, 22 Jun 2021 6:11 pm

Thanks.....best if someone can share number of a technician who might be able to fix this.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 22 Jun 2021 7:06 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 22 Jun 2021 2:15 am
Myasis Dragon wrote:
Wow, that seems like it would be too complicated for the average joe, I don’t understand half of those terms. Where would someone find these things?
Any computer store. Most general electronics stores (Courts, HN, Best Denki).
More challenging, if there is no dekstop pc at home and no laptop has the port (RJ45).

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 22 Jun 2021 10:07 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Myasis Dragon wrote:
I see that I've overestimated the capabilities of the average user. My bad.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 22 Jun 2021 10:31 pm

I agree with the switching off everything and powering it back up again - always worth a try as a first step.

I am assuming you see the problem on all devices? If not, it would indicate a device specific issue.

Next, how many bars do you see on your Wifi connection? Anything less than full bars means you are not getting a good connection to your router and need to get closer or reposition your router so that you can get full bars.

If you have full bars, the next thing you could try is downloading the speedtest app and run the test to measure your up/down mbps, you should see a problem there - if not, it could be the particular site or sites you are accessing are the problem (up to the site owner(s) to resolve).

If the speedtest indicates slow speed, work backwards to the source. Plug a LAN cable into the back of your router and the other end into a computer - if the speed is good, then you know it is your wireless router issue. Assuming the router is reasonably new, you could try doing a factory reset (just Google that, together with the brand and model of your router for instructions). If that doesn’t work, then you will probably need to contact your internet provider at that point, they will need to come to your home and troubleshoot.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:56 pm

x9200 wrote:
Tue, 22 Jun 2021 7:06 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Myasis Dragon wrote:
More challenging, if there is no dekstop pc at home and no laptop has the port (RJ45).
Is challenger a good option?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:57 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Tue, 22 Jun 2021 10:07 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Myasis Dragon wrote:
I see that I've overestimated the capabilities of the average user. My bad.
Hahaha

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 9:39 pm

I am not tech savvy, but I know enough to be mildly dangerous. At least I can lock my kids out from our WiFi by the MAC address of their devices - they haven’t figured out how to spoof yet.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 8:33 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:56 pm
x9200 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Definitely. They may even know what is the Cat 5e cable :) But in case they say, no, we don't have it, ask for a LAN/network cable. There should be the category printed on the package and always on the cable itself. Anything Cat 5e or higher should do (i.e. Cat 6).

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 9:21 am

You may want to try using the 5GHz band in WiFi.

With crowded condos the 2.4GHz band runs out of channels it seems and that leads to congestion.

You can set your router usually to have different names for each bandwidth (SSID). Pick the one with the 5GHz name on your laptop.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:16 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 9:39 pm
I am not tech savvy, but I know enough to be mildly dangerous. At least I can lock my kids out from our WiFi by the MAC address of their devices - they haven’t figured out how to spoof yet.
Wow, I’m not even close to that advanced. My daughter is more likely to lock me out of the WiFi.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:17 pm

x9200 wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 8:33 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:56 pm
x9200 wrote:

Definitely. They may even know what is the Cat 5e cable :) But in case they say, no, we don't have it, ask for a LAN/network cable. There should be the category printed on the package and always on the cable itself. Anything Cat 5e or higher should do (i.e. Cat 6).
I see, thanks for sharing!