Singapore Expats

Reopening is too slow

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Reopening is too slow

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 10:19 am

I'm heading offshore supposedly in a few weeks. Client has jus told me "we will not pay for your time in return quarantine in Singapore as our other crew do not have this requirement ".

You know what this causes? Singaporeans to lose income and work. I'll be ok because I've got the wherewithal to pay for a 3 weeks quarantine and loss of income but your average Sinkie dive tech doesn't.

I put this squarely on the shoulders of LSL and Wong. They have had over a year to work put an affordable return system for returning mariners and offshore workers and have done bugger all.

Why do they think this sector is unimportant?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:18 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:19 am
Are you asking about onboarding of individuals or businesses?
I was thinking about those private wealth managers, who regularly went to Malaysia, Indo, China, SK etc to source regional clients. I reckon most of the regional sales team have been grounded for the past 15 mths?

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:24 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:18 pm
smoulder wrote:
Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:19 am
Are you asking about onboarding of individuals or businesses?
I was thinking about those private wealth managers, who regularly went to Malaysia, Indo, China, SK etc to source regional clients. I reckon most of the regional sales team have been grounded for the past 15 mths?
Hiring in droves. Expanding even.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:58 pm

the observer wrote:
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 10:57 pm
End of day, shifting sands, who knows.
Just sail along and mope less.

And the only thing I can predict reasonably well is…

The vast majority who wants to make sg their permanent home will never be able to.
~ there’s no permanence in job security/industry
~ even permanent residence isn’t permanent if one is jobless for an extended time
I'm in the process of testing your last statement........ :-k :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter

Post by MikeJones » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 1:47 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 19 Jun 2021 8:05 am
BigginHill wrote:
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 10:55 pm
I actually believe I saw 'Seagate' on a building recently.
They opened an R&D center in Ayer Rajah cluster just few years ago. Not sure about manufacturing.
They have a couple of buildings in Woodlands, used to go past them on the way to our old office up there. I assumed they were manufacturing/assembly plant as that was most of businesses in the area.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 2:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:58 pm
the observer wrote:

The vast majority who wants to make sg their permanent home will never be able to.
~ even permanent residence isn’t permanent if one is jobless for an extended time
Clearly if your family nucleus includes citizens, it changes the equation.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 5:12 pm

Well, I'm the nucleus centre but the only PR! Still thinking about SGC as it is pretty easy for me now. Aged parent. This is one of the benefits of getting PR via Family Ties vrs PTS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 5:20 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 12:16 pm
I read the same article a few minutes ago. I agree that things are way too slow.

My personal observation is that people here are also very fearful. When you compare the numbers of new infections this year with what we had at the start of the pandemic, you'll find that it was way more then. Yet, I see about the same level of fear now (my opinion).

Open up, and there WILL be incoming infections. It is a given. It's very hard to open up only to selective countries and think that you are safe from being infected. And of course, it's hard to stay closed up.
Completely agree, the fear level and general paranoia seems to be exactly the same as it was before. Opening up will increase the number of infections, but we can’t stay closed forever. It would be best to get everyone vaccinated as soon as possible and then prepare for the inevitable wave of infections when borders reopen.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 5:22 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 3:12 pm
BigginHill wrote:
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 3:00 pm
Depends who you ask - many people would probably argue, that they're seeing Singapore's finest hour of resilience during this pandemic & when things are finally one day back to normal, Singapore will rebound big time!
In my humble opinion, they should probably approach the rebound sooner. The more they delay it, the more likely it is that corporations are going to move jobs out of here and may not bring them back anytime soon if at all.
Exactly, from what I understand quite a number of corporations have already begun to pull out of Singapore. The restrictions have made it too difficult for them to function and they are starting to open up elsewhere instead. At this rate, Singapore will lose its position as a prime business and economic hub.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 5:25 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 6:09 pm
BigginHill wrote:
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 2:26 pm
(and yes, watching colleagues in US & Europe almost back to normal isn't good for morale either...)
Really rubbing it in - just had a call from a family member in Northern Europe.

It might as well have been an interplanetary call.

Face masks are mostly gone, summer has arrived, football stadiums have actual spectators, all shops & restaurants are open (show your corona app w/vaccination status & you're in), and EU travel has opened up.

(my report from uptight Singapore was a bit less cheerful...)
Same here. My relatives in the US have their lives nearly back to normal; they’ve all been fully vaccinated, their kids are going back to school, businesses are all open, and summer is in full swing. This is, of course in stark contrast to the depressing state of affairs in Singapore right now. Morale is really low.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 5:42 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 9:07 pm
To a virtual world.

Who needs expensive expats in Singapore if you can do it WFH style?
As much as this pandemic has changed the way we work, there is still something about physical meetings and interacting with colleagues that WFH will never be able to fully replace.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 5:46 pm

the observer wrote:

That’s the case for my father as well. He’s in his early 60s but still works (or I should say worked) up until the pandemic hit. Since then, his income has taken a huge hit (he’s self-employed) and with all the restrictions put into place, it has been near impossible to make a living. He’s lucky he works to stay active and not for survival, many do not enjoy that same luxury. He’s pretty fed up with the government and this whole situation so he will be moving home to Miami at the end of the year.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 5:51 pm

the observer wrote:
Sat, 19 Jun 2021 2:18 pm
the observer wrote:

Clearly if your family nucleus includes citizens, it changes the equation.
Like SMS, my father is the “nucleus” of the family, but one of the few PRs. He will be returning to the US for good at the end of the year, he was previously considering applying for citizenship after living and working here for over 25 years, but he’s become increasingly frustrated with the government and the situation here over the last year and a half.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 6:08 pm

Lisa, I'm between a rock & a hard place. I agree with your father, and one of the reasons I'm still here is because both kids are married to locals, opted to SGC (both born with dual citizenship) and have produced SGC grandkids for me). Both of my parents are gone and I only have a sister in the same area as you (FL) she's just turned 72 4 days ago. I really no longer have any real reason to return to the US and frankly, with the Government in power there at the moment, I don't want to be there. So, for the first time in the 39 years I've been here I'm actually finally thinking about the option. (Thinking only at the moment)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 2:22 am

Sat, 19 Jun 2021 6:08 pm
Lisa, I'm between a rock & a hard place. I agree with your father, and one of the reasons I'm still here is because both kids are married to locals, opted to SGC (both born with dual citizenship) and have produced SGC grandkids for me). Both of my parents are gone and I only have a sister in the same area as you (FL) she's just turned 72 4 days ago. I really no longer have any real reason to return to the US and frankly, with the Government in power there at the moment, I don't want to be there. So, for the first time in the 39 years I've been here I'm actually finally thinking about the option. (Thinking only at the moment)
My grandmother passed a couple weeks ago. My dad has been there for the last two weeks settling her affairs, so like you both parents are now out of the picture and he has no real reason to go back to the US other than that it’s his home and that he’s no longer very happy here. And really? You’re not rocking with Biden?