Singapore Expats

A few questions about prescriptions, exclusions, and pre-existing conditions

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
mpnyp

A few questions about prescriptions, exclusions, and pre-existing conditions

Post by mpnyp » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 12:28 am

Hi! I apologize in advance if these are painfully stupid questions, but I've searched these forums and elsewhere and haven't been able to find the answers I'm looking for.

I will (hopefully, MOM willing) be coming to Singapore later this year on a DP under my husband's EP. His company has offered a group medical insurance plan, which lists "certain conditions" for which "no benefits will be payable." I have a few mild pre-existing conditions for which I take long-term prescriptions (antidepressants, skin conditions, plus birth control) and all of these seem to fall under the excluded conditions list. None of these conditions are serious or things I'll need to be hospitalized for, I'm mostly just worried about being able to get my medications (which, for what it's worth, are pretty easy to find/prescribe, no biologics or controlled substances or anything).

How will this actually play out? Are prescriptions routed through insurance in Singapore the same way they are in the US, so that if insurance doesn't cover these conditions, the medications I need for them will be exorbitantly expensive? Or are prescriptions relatively affordable even when not covered? Will visits to see a doctor to get the script itself not be covered either, if the condition it's for isn't? Any information on getting prescriptions filled for conditions not covered by insurance would be extremely helpful!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: A few questions about prescriptions, exclusions, and pre-existing conditions

Post by abbby » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 11:13 am

I think pre-exisiting condition medications are quite easily available in GPs, you might need a letter from your doctor overseas to certify the condition or you might need to take a medical test in the GP clinic for assessment for that medication. But from what I feel is it is normally quite easily available.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: A few questions about prescriptions, exclusions, and pre-existing conditions

Post by bro75 » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 5:28 pm

Group medical plans here provided by companies are generally limited and has exclusions for mental health issues and STDs especially for hospitalization. Many prescription drugs are available here but most of your questions are for the insurer to answer. Maybe find out if you can talk to an agent for the group insurer of your husband's employer. Most companies who provide group plans will have a designated agent who can be asked specific questions. I hope in your case, they can be made available for prospective employees.
In my case, I am employed by an MNC. My consultations and medicines can be directly charged to the insurer up to a certain limit if the clinic is included in the panel. If the clinic is not included in the panel, I will have to pay first and make a claim and then it will be reimbursed. I am not sure about the cost of medicine if there is a difference if routed through insurance or outside of it.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 6:53 pm

For antidepressants you may need a consult with IMH to get a prescription. Bring enough for a few months at least. Adderal and Ritalin type drugs are severely controlled here.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 6:27 pm

True. Adderal in particular is close to impossible to get.