Singapore Expats

Chances of Citizenship Approval?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
felisfluffica

Chances of Citizenship Approval?

Post by felisfluffica » Sun, 13 Jun 2021 3:35 pm

Hi! I recently applied for citizenship after receiving PR under the student scheme (which carries with it NS liability), but I was classified pes f/exempted for NS on medical grounds after the medical checkup; I’m anxious that this will affect my chances so would love to seek your input on this matter.

A few more things about me—I’m chinese, studied here since primary school, just graduated JC with top scores and am waiting to enter a local university.

Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Chances of Citizenship Approval?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jun 2021 4:09 pm

This is an interesting case. Did you receive your PR before or after your medical pes f? I have a feeling you may be deferred on SGC until Uni graduation, but you should not be penalized for a medical deferment. They may want to see how well you do in Uni first. e.g., will you be able to contribute to the country in other forms after graduation if you cannot do NS. I'd be interested to know the outcome of this. Please keep us updated.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sun, 13 Jun 2021 4:19 pm

felisfluffica wrote:
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 3:35 pm
Hi! I recently applied for citizenship after receiving PR under the student scheme (which carries with it NS liability), but I was classified pes f/exempted for NS on medical grounds after the medical checkup; I’m anxious that this will affect my chances so would love to seek your input on this matter.

A few more things about me—I’m chinese, studied here since primary school, just graduated JC with top scores and am waiting to enter a local university.

Thank you!
I agree with SMS

PES E still have to do NS
Generally exemption is very very rare.

I have a classmate who is 2nd generation PR. He applied citizenship during or before NS.
They told him, you have to wait until you finish your NS

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 3:07 am

If you’ve been officially exempted due to medical reasons, I don’t see how it can affect your chances.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 2:57 pm

The Government is not a charity. They don't give anything without quid pro quo.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 1:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 14 Jun 2021 2:57 pm
The Government is not a charity. They don't give anything without quid pro quo.
Fair enough, but if he physically cannot serve, what else can the government make him do?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 11:19 am

Possibly, with a degree, he might have an IQ of 140 and could end up in a government thinktank. Just an example. Gov't service would give him a shot of serving the country, but not necessarily with a rifle and rucksack. But with the degree he could still serve the nation in some other capacity. Obviously it's a gamble, but one both he and the government should explore.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Jun 2021 2:36 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 21 Jun 2021 11:19 am
Possibly, with a degree, he might have an IQ of 140 and could end up in a government thinktank. Just an example. Gov't service would give him a shot of serving the country, but not necessarily with a rifle and rucksack. But with the degree he could still serve the nation in some other capacity. Obviously it's a gamble, but one both he and the government should explore.
True, the government can be very creative when they want to be.