Singapore Expats

Drunk driver jailed

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Drunk driver jailed

Post by tiktok » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 3:10 pm

Can someone please explain this? This POS kills someone while driving and speeding drunk and leaves the scene. He got just 6 years jail. The rope seems a more fitting punishment.

This article says "For killing Ms Ocampo, he could have been jailed for up to 10 years." So why wasn't he?

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/drive ... er-die?amp
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

axonmetro

Re: Drunk driver jailed

Post by axonmetro » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 5:11 pm

It surprises me too...slap in the wrist..
Also, sex offenders, people who don't wear mask, drink drivers, ...sometimes their sentences is too little...sometimes just a fine or probations...i just dont understand!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:11 pm

tiktok wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 3:10 pm
Can someone please explain this? This POS kills someone while driving and speeding drunk and leaves the scene. He got just 6 years jail. The rope seems a more fitting punishment.

This article says "For killing Ms Ocampo, he could have been jailed for up to 10 years." So why wasn't he?

Are you really surprised? The Singapore courts have long shown how little they care for foreign workers and FDW in general. I don’t think he deserved the rope, thats too extreme, but I do think he should be banned from driving for life and receive a hefty fine to be paid to the victim’s family.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:17 pm

axonmetro wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 5:11 pm
It surprises me too...slap in the wrist..
Also, sex offenders, people who don't wear mask, drink drivers, ...sometimes their sentences is too little...sometimes just a fine or probations...i just dont understand!
In some ways, the justice system here is still very backward. The punishments for drugs, for example, are disproportionate to the punishments for sex offenses.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:12 pm

The real oddity, I feel, is why the victim's family gets nothing. How come his punishment doesn't include some form of monetary compensation?

Sure, give him x number of years in jail to ruminate on his sins. But when he comes out, he shouldn't be back to his normal life whilst the victim's family will be reeling for the rest of theirs.

I suggest that once he comes out, he pays the family 1k per month every month for the next couple of decades. It's not going to break his bank by any stretch, given his lifestyle prior, but it'll be painful enough, as well as a great reminder of what he's done. But mostly, the family will have something to show for the death of their mum.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:40 pm

Compensation to the family may come from a separate lawsuit.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 13 Jun 2021 7:46 pm

tiktok wrote:

We may see the AGC appeal the sentence if enough Sinkies complain. It does seem lightweight.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 3:28 am

x9200 wrote:
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:40 pm
I doubt the family even has the finances to engage a lawyer and enter a legal battle.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 3:29 am

Max Headroom wrote:
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:12 pm
The real oddity, I feel, is why the victim's family gets nothing. How come his punishment doesn't include some form of monetary compensation?

Sure, give him x number of years in jail to ruminate on his sins. But when he comes out, he shouldn't be back to his normal life whilst the victim's family will be reeling for the rest of theirs.

I suggest that once he comes out, he pays the family 1k per month every month for the next couple of decades. It's not going to break his bank by any stretch, given his lifestyle prior, but it'll be painful enough, as well as a great reminder of what he's done. But mostly, the family will have something to show for the death of their mum.
Exactly. Other than the victim, the biggest sufferers are the family. Minimally, I would expect funeral expenses to be covered, but I think more than that, the family deserves major compensation for this devastating loss, particularly the children, who have lost their mom.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 3:32 am

PNGMK wrote:
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 7:46 pm
tiktok wrote:

We may see the AGC appeal the sentence if enough Sinkies complain. It does seem lightweight.
I doubt an appeal would change anything. The courts rarely overturn or amend their sentences, it would make them seem incompetent, and of course they can’t have that.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 6:55 am

Actually I disagree. The courts here are compliant to the AGC.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 8:40 am

Pleading guilty can reduce the sentence. Although the punishment seems to be lenient, this avoids a long trial. I do not know how the victim's family can claim but a part of it would come from the insurance of the driver.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 9:03 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 14 Jun 2021 3:28 am
x9200 wrote:
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:40 pm
I doubt the family even has the finances to engage a lawyer and enter a legal battle.
There are good lawyers around helping pro bono FDWs in such cases. For example, Anil Balchandani helped in recent, very complicated case of Indonesian former FDW. I believe he is not the only one and if the family is here left indeed with no compensation, this would be something extreme.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 3:55 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 14 Jun 2021 6:55 am
Actually I disagree. The courts here are compliant to the AGC.
Even so, what are the chances of anything like that happening?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 3:58 am

bro75 wrote:
Mon, 14 Jun 2021 8:40 am
Pleading guilty can reduce the sentence. Although the punishment seems to be lenient, this avoids a long trial. I do not know how the victim's family can claim but a part of it would come from the insurance of the driver.
The payout would be pretty insignificant. The bulk of the compensation would have to come from a lawsuit.