abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Do expats here eat durians?

Post by abbby » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 1:10 am

Do you eat/like durians?

Just curious...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Do expats here eat durians?

Post by smoulder » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 1:58 am

Yes, but I don't consider myself an expat. I love it.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 1:13 pm

Tried them over the years, from the smelliest ones (supposedly with the best taste) to the not too smelly ones. I just don't like them. Smell doesn't bother me at all. Interestingly, I don't like Mangosteens either (cooling and usually an offset to the durian's heatiness). Guess I just don't like 'em. I love Jackfruit though.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 1:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 1:13 pm
Tried them over the years, from the smelliest ones (supposedly with the best taste) to the not too smelly ones. I just don't like them. Smell doesn't bother me at all. Interestingly, I don't like Mangosteens either (cooling and usually an offset to the durian's heatiness). Guess I just don't like 'em. I love Jackfruit though.
Ah... Cooling and heatiness. Do you also get gastric after eating durian :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 3:52 pm

Nah, Usually one bite was enough to turn me off. I don't get that thing called gastric. I've always, since young, eaten most anything you put in front of me. I think my digestive system is pretty ironclad to be honest. You would understand if you saw me with chili padi when down in Indonesia (worked there for 12 years). The only time I ever got something that resembles gastric was food poisoning on the island of Natuna in the S.China sea, but that was due to bad food. Even BBQ'd locust in Thailand didn't do it to me. (but must admit, I was already pretty much embalmed with Mekong Whiskey at the time, lol)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 4:15 pm

I think durians are quite an acquired taste, and people either love or hate it. But it's quite pricey considering the shells are weighed as well when you buy.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 5:53 am

I like durians occasionally. Only fresh, unprocessed (so no cakes, candies, ice creams etc.). It's not a big affection though.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:20 pm

I’ve tried most varieties, because I believe in trying everything at least once. Like SMS, just didn’t like them. I don’t find the smell intolerable, but I’m just not a fan of the taste or texture.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 1:13 pm
It’s the opposite for me. I can’t stand jackfruit, but love love love mangosteens! They are the Queen of fruits for a reason.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:46 pm

I tried Durian and honestly, it was not tasty for me. In a way, I am glad cuz its really one of the costly fruits. I usually only eat Berries now due to low carb - strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. I dont eat other fruits and never drink juice.

Rocketboy

Post by Rocketboy » Sun, 13 Jun 2021 9:39 am

I like durian, not all varieties but red prawn and those that are easy to peel from the seed are the best. I do like it in all the forms except for heavily processed = durian puffs or hot pancakes / pandan waffles with fresh durian - is a yes, chocolate with durian flavored filling is a no :)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 3:00 am

Rocketboy wrote:
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 9:39 am
I like durian, not all varieties but red prawn and those that are easy to peel from the seed are the best. I do like it in all the forms except for heavily processed = durian puffs or hot pancakes / pandan waffles with fresh durian - is a yes, chocolate with durian flavored filling is a no :)
I actually find processed durian (puffs and cakes) more approachable than the fresh stuff, although I’d rather avoid it altogether.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 3:03 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:46 pm
I tried Durian and honestly, it was not tasty for me. In a way, I am glad cuz its really one of the costly fruits. I usually only eat Berries now due to low carb - strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. I dont eat other fruits and never drink juice.
The price comes from the difficulty in cultivating and harvesting the fruit, as well as the fact that it is seasonal. One of my personal favorite fruits is watermelon- they are incredibly high in water content making them very low calorie.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 8:55 am

My entire family (parents / siblings) loves Durian except for me. When they are here for vacation, off we go to the fruit stand for their fix. They will persuade me to try and I will eat 1 small part. I do not hate the smell or taste , it is just not that delicious for me. My wife does not care for it either.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 3:09 am

bro75 wrote:
Mon, 14 Jun 2021 8:55 am
My entire family (parents / siblings) loves Durian except for me. When they are here for vacation, off we go to the fruit stand for their fix. They will persuade me to try and I will eat 1 small part. I do not hate the smell or taste , it is just not that delicious for me. My wife does not care for it either.
I’m not a fan either. To me, no point putting any empty calories into my body if I don’t enjoy what I’m eating. When I’m at the fruit stand with friends or family, I’ll usually opt for other fresh fruit (the stall owners are usually glad to cut it up for you).